Gear question

projectMMTB

I've seen many posts recently regarding gears and what not and have been meaning to make a thread but am just now doing it. But what I've seen is that most people are recommending 5.13s over 4.88s for 37s. Currently I have 4.88s at the shop along with all my other parts waitin to be put on next Monday. I have someone who would buy the 4.88s off me almost full price if I decided to go with 5.13s. But is there really that big of a difference or just slight? What would y'all recommend doing?

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
I've seen many posts recently regarding gears and what not and have been meaning to make a thread but am just now doing it. But what I've seen is that most people are recommending 5.13s over 4.88s for 37s. Currently I have 4.88s at the shop along with all my other parts waitin to be put on next Monday. I have someone who would buy the 4.88s off me almost full price if I decided to go with 5.13s. But is there really that big of a difference or just slight? What would y'all recommend doing?

Your looking at a few hundred Rpm difference in gear and at speed. So if you want a more "economic" jeep at the cost of slight performance, stick with 4.88, if you want slightly more performance at the cost of "economy" the go with 5.13. This really boils down to crawl ratio at/near idle and highway passing power at the expense of slightly better miles per gallon...

projectMMTB

Your looking at a few hundred Rpm difference in gear and at speed. So if you want a more "economic" jeep at the cost of slight performance, stick with 4.88, if you want slightly more performance at the cost of "economy" the go with 5.13. This really boils down to crawl ratio at/near idle and highway passing power at the expense of slightly better miles per gallon...

Would the economy with 5.13s be better than what I have now or atleast not decrease anymore? Economy isn't really a big deal to me but I don't want something worse than what I have now. 35s stock gears and get around 11.5...

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
Would the economy with 5.13s be better than what I have now or atleast not decrease anymore? Economy isn't really a big deal to me but I don't want something worse than what I have now. 35s stock gears and get around 11.5...

3.8? That seems crazy low to me, if you have a 3.8, you will want 5.13 for sure. I assumed you had a newer 3.6L but with 11.5 on factory gears and 35s, I'm second guessing. I'm getting 17.2 on factory gears and 37s (3.6L w/ 6 speed manual) and plan on 5.13s

Edit: your profile says 2014, so you have a 3.6L. Do you have a heavy foot? Are you running a programmer to correct shift points? Your mpgs suck!

Last edited:

projectMMTB

3.8? That seems crazy low to me, if you have a 3.8, you will want 5.13 for sure. I assumed you had a newer 3.6L but with 11.5 on factory gears and 35s, I'm second guessing. I'm getting 17.2 on factory gears and 37s (3.6L w/ 6 speed manual) and plan on 5.13s

Nope 3.6. It's a 2014
I sit in traffic all day everyday of the week except weekends when I go wheeling

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
Nope 3.6. It's a 2014
I sit in traffic all day everyday of the week except weekends when I go wheeling

Houston isn't a picnic, but 11mpg is pretty bad... I would guess gearing would HELP get you "closer" to factory mpg then 11s for sure...

Attachments

• 1457396906255.jpg
    1457396906255.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 82

Dubzy

Edit: your profile says 2014, so you have a 3.6L. Do you have a heavy foot? Are you running a programmer to correct shift points? Your mpgs suck!

You get 17 on 37s? I have a 3.6 with a 6 speed getting 15ish on a good day and I'm on 35s.

To the OP, 11 is suuuuuper low for sure.

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
You get 17 on 37s? I have a 3.6 with a 6 speed getting 15ish on a good day and I'm on 35s.

To the OP, 11 is suuuuuper low for sure.

Low 17s, between 17.1 and 17.3 in traffic to and from work. 4" long arm, 37x1350 toyo MTs on slabs and factory 4.10 gears... yep was averaging lower 19s, between 19.1-19.4 when factory.

The fact that it's flat and at sea level here probably has something to do with it.

I plan on regearing to 5.13s within the next month.

swampdog

I average 16.8 with 35" KO2s and 3.21 gears (3.6 6speed). Stoked to get it back on Friday with the 4.88's installed. I'm ready to get some pep back in this jewel. MPG's be damned!

projectMMTB

I'm not really too worried about gas mileage. Weather is warming up and my Yamaha r6 will be my DD to and from school.
Sounds like 5.13s are the way to go!
Thanks for the input

swampdog

I'm not really too worried about gas mileage. Weather is warming up and my Yamaha r6 will be my DD to and from school.
Sounds like 5.13s are the way to go!
Thanks for the input

What year R6 you ride? I used to road race a 06 at tracks throughout the south east on the weekends.

mo0s3

I get the same on my 35's with 4:88
I will be going to 37's like a few others in my group and they get better gas mileage then me so we will see

whispike

I get the same on my 35's with 4:88
I will be going to 37's like a few others in my group and they get better gas mileage then me so we will see

Are you going to stick with the 4.88's? I'm going to be moving to 37's as well and not sure if I should go to 5.13's

Eezybreezy08

I have a 08 with 4.88 on 35 and that's plenty of power for me in the city. Now on the highway it's a little different cause I will be running about 3000 rpm at 75 mph and it just drains my gas. My wife's jeep has 3.73 with 35 and it has enough power and gets good gas mileage. Around 17. Honestly because I have a big family is when I go 37s on hers I'm just gonna stick with 4.88 cause I need the gas money ha. So that's just my experience. Maybe it can help you with a little guide. But ultimately figure out if you want power or gas mileage and that's the main difference and how much wheeling are you actually gonna do. I know a lot of folks running 4.10 with 37 and they get around just fine cause they don't wheel that much. Hope that helps

mo0s3

Are you going to stick with the 4.88's? I'm going to be moving to 37's as well and not sure if I should go to 5.13's

Yeah I'm going to stay with the 4:88. For the trails we run in so cal it seems to be a good combo for me. Plus it will drop my rpms at 70 as well. Someone posted these charts to better help all of us out !
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1457536893.649761.jpg

projectMMTB

What year R6 you ride? I used to road race a 06 at tracks throughout the south east on the weekends.

Well I had a 2012 r3. It was my first bike other than my dirt bikes and hopefully sometime this weekend or next weekend I can head to the shop and pick up a new 2015 r6.
I've rode around on my buddies r6 and I absolutely love it. We always take trips to the north Georgia mountains a cruise around.

swampdog

Well I had a 2012 r3. It was my first bike other than my dirt bikes and hopefully sometime this weekend or next weekend I can head to the shop and pick up a new 2015 r6.
I've rode around on my buddies r6 and I absolutely love it. We always take trips to the north Georgia mountains a cruise around.

The R6 hasn't had a single update other than decals since 2008, save some loot and scoop a used one. Literally no difference.

Top Bottom