Side marker light after a fender hackin'

reelsilly

Ok, so I've seen a few write ups on this but I'd like to hear some personal experiences. For the ones that have cut your flares, how have you mounted the current side marker light, or what light are you running in its place?

I've seen folks use a bracket, (that I can't seem to find) to use the existing one. I've also seen people use different styles of LEDs, some tiny, some large.

I would like to see what you have and hear how you like it or not.

wschilawski

I just used the Advance Auto amber side marker lights. Don't recall what size hole was required but I can check. Easy install and it looks great at night, nice and bright. Sorry for the photos - they're the best I had for right now.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1457519257.888552.jpg

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1457519271.005728.jpg

wschilawski

Right - a lot of options out there - will be interesting to see what other folks have done. I'm sure there are other threads out there that show them as well. Keep us posted on what you end up doing!

Ddays

Hooked
Try a set of yellow Eagle eyes off of Amazon. They're like $8 for a pair and are made from machined aluminum. No drilling required either - they thread right into the existing hole. These are really bright too.

attachment (4).jpg

HogBlock

You can reuse the stock light as well. I just popped the light out of the flare before I cut them, drilled a bigger hole in the side of the light that had the most edge left and used the 10mm fender liner bolt to hold it there. Best part it took five minutes and it was free!!! The only down side is now its deep in the fender well up by the grill, but it's so big you can still see it plane as day ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1457612902.411428.jpg

Last edited:

Warebear

I've been wondering this too, is there an option for a light that doesn't require cutting the factor connector off?

utiadam

LOSER
I've been wondering this too, is there an option for a light that doesn't require cutting the factor connector off?

I cut off the pigtail side (the harness that went to the factory light) but left the body connector alone. So i can still connect/disconnect the side markers just like factory.

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
I use the 3/4" or whatever the poison spyder ones are that evo sells. I put them in a little further than most guys since I run my fender cuts a little different and I have been very happy with them.

reelsilly

Sweet! Thanks for all the replies and ideas. I will soon be shedding some fender size, and then my bumper. I will likely do the small 3/4" lights but we shall see. I will keep y'all updated. Hope to have this done in the next few weeks

Warebear

I cut off the pigtail side (the harness that went to the factory light) but left the body connector alone. So i can still connect/disconnect the side markers just like factory.

Niceeee didn't think of that. Well ya what op said thanks for the input. I think I'm gonna give it a go with eddies thread

Speeddmn

Not sure if legal or not, but I took mine off and the end... They just turn on, not a blinker so why would I need them?!

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Not sure if legal or not, but I took mine off and the end... They just turn on, not a blinker so why would I need them?!

Yup took mine off and haven't run them in about two years but it would still be nice to turn it into a turn signal

chipper

I Also used the Autozone lights. I had an open hole for one of the push pins under the fender. Just had to make the hole the correct size for the light. Then made another hole above it for another push pin.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1457540563.425813.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1457540581.029743.jpg

I Also used the Autozone lights. I had an open hole for one of the push pins under the fender. Just had to make the hole the correct size for the light. Then made another hole above it for another push pin.
View attachment 192036
View attachment 192037

That's exactly what I did.

Yup took mine off and haven't run them in about two years but it would still be nice to turn it into a turn signal

I spliced the ground of the side marker into the grill blinker so it is just on when the lights are on, but blinks when lights are on and blinker is on.

Ddays

Hooked
They look that way from the side - when you view them straight on and when they're turned on they're yellow. I also used 4 white ones on the lower pinch seam for back-up lights and two red ones for my third brake lights. They're bright as hell.

Top Bottom