Yosemite cables...

MTG

Caught the Bug
Have you done them? Would you do them? Have any tips for a first timer?

Just watched this amazing video and was reminded of one of my goals.

Post up if you have a good story.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
It's been 25 years, but if you can still camp at the top of the falls that is what you want to do. Starting in the valley and round tripping half dome is a brutal day.

Oh, and you should see a pic of those cables when lightning strikes. Pretty amazing.

Jkzinger

Caught the Bug
You now have to apply for a permit to hike up half dome. They only give something like 300 a day so while there is no cable crowding problems anymore, good luck getting one. I tried the last 4 years with no luck. If you can go early or late in the year on a weekday you will have slightly better luck. I would rather have the crowds as we would always leave early enough to beat them to the cables.

Solar Dude

Last time we did this the permits weren't required, we had it dialed though. We got reservations at the little Yosemite tent camp just below the last accent to the cables the night before and the night after. We hiked up, made camp and enjoyed watching the walking dead on their return trip down. The following morning we hit the cables without the hordes, it made for an awesome accent. We left the dome when it started getting crazy up there, a dude froze going up the cables, we had to go done on the outside to get around him. Returned to camp and had a chilly dip in the Merced, drank wine watching the zombies in flip flops with no water drag their sorry asses down the hill again. I understand why they require a permit now, it was getting out of control. So many unprepared idiots that had no business doing that hike.

catahoula

Caught the Bug
That is beautiful! Fuck that!:cheesy: You see I got this scared of heights thing. Pretty awesome though.

JKRicky

I hiked this about 15 years ago and have been wanting to go back. It's a fun hike with some amazing views. This is definitely worth doing and camping out at least one night.

Funny story though (funny after the fact), the wildlife are very comfortable around people up there and not afraid to get close. So our first night camping out, I was almost asleep when I heard my buddy in another tent start yelling and screaming. I look out of my tent and see nothing but the ass end of a huge bear inside his tent. The bear left with his backpack after several seconds which contained some beef jerky that he forgot he had. Couldn't imagine waking up to a bear in my face!

There's a reason they have the bear boxes for food [emoji106]🏼

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
It's been 25 years, but if you can still camp at the top of the falls that is what you want to do. Starting in the valley and round tripping half dome is a brutal day.

Oh, and you should see a pic of those cables when lightning strikes. Pretty amazing.

Really? I was told that yosemite is a very dangerous place to camp at high clifftops...something about the rock being very "metallic" and attracting lighting like crazy, so your chances of getting struck go up like 10000x :shock:

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Really? I was told that yosemite is a very dangerous place to camp at high clifftops...something about the rock being very "metallic" and attracting lighting like crazy, so your chances of getting struck go up like 10000x :shock:

The camp spot is at the top of Nevada falls in the trees (assuming you can still camp there). It's not even close to being up at the top of Half Dome. And no, we weren't camping there in the middle of a lightning storm.

The pic of the cables getting hit was something I saw in the Yosemite Mountaineering store in the valley.

Last edited:

epetry

I'm going here on my honey moon in May. Pretty excited to visit and camp the west coast as I live on the east coast.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
The camp spot is at the top of Nevada falls in the trees (assuming you can still camp there). It's not even close to being up at the top of Half Dome. And no, we weren't camping there in the middle of a lightning storm.

The pic of the cables getting hit was something I saw in the Yosemite Mountaineering store in the valley.

Gotcha.:thumb:

Trail Bud

Hooked
I've done half dome 4 times with cables up and cables down. It was like a LA freeway at times having to wait in a line like ants going up the cables. When cables are down you have to lift them up to use them.
You need to take your time and relax. It can be very tiring.
Now they're doing a permit system which should get rid of the overcrowding.
If you go bring gloves for the cables. If you forget them there's usually a pile at the base you can grab a pair.

Last edited:

Desert Crawler

I'm going here on my honey moon in May. Pretty excited to visit and camp the west coast as I live on the east coast.

If you're camping in May be prepared for anything that Mother Nature throws at you. Last year was considered a dry year, but Yosemite had some decent snowfall in early May.

My wife and I did it about 4 years ago, in September, and it was really a neat thing to do. They do have a permit system with limited numbers allowed... we planned a year in advance to get it all to work out because of the same with the RV camping spot fill up too. So plan ahead... they do keep some permits for same day requests (and cancelations) but don't count on them. We didn't camp n the trial, we did the whole round trip in one 'long' day (we aren't speed hikers and we both are short legged!). But it is a tough 8 miles all up hill with tall granite step on half the trip (but, yes, it is 8 miles down hill at the end of the day). The cables can be crowded which is was when we first got the bottom of them but we sat and ate lunch and re-energized for an hour and they opened up and we hit it then. the boards they put across the post locations are a life saver for you to stop and help stand on to rest or wait for traffic to clear. Some photos of our trip...
DSC_0061.jpg
Starting out at Vernal falls and first set of steps
DSC_0077.jpg
Above Vernal is Nevada falls
DSC_0128.jpg
The base of the cables looking up!
DSC_0125.jpg
The view of ' the possible fall ' at the base of the cables
DSC_0116.jpg
DSC_0097.jpg
We make it and enjoying the view !!!
DSC_0137.jpg
Nevada falls with Half Done in the back ground on the way down.

catahoula

Caught the Bug
My wife and I did it about 4 years ago, in September, and it was really a neat thing to do. They do have a permit system with limited numbers allowed... we planned a year in advance to get it all to work out because of the same with the RV camping spot fill up too. So plan ahead... they do keep some permits for same day requests (and cancelations) but don't count on them. We didn't camp n the trial, we did the whole round trip in one 'long' day (we aren't speed hikers and we both are short legged!). But it is a tough 8 miles all up hill with tall granite step on half the trip (but, yes, it is 8 miles down hill at the end of the day). The cables can be crowded which is was when we first got the bottom of them but we sat and ate lunch and re-energized for an hour and they opened up and we hit it then. the boards they put across the post locations are a life saver for you to stop and help stand on to rest or wait for traffic to clear. Some photos of our trip...
View attachment 192865
Starting out at Vernal falls and first set of steps
View attachment 192866
Above Vernal is Nevada falls
View attachment 192867
The base of the cables looking up!
View attachment 192868
The view of ' the possible fall ' at the base of the cables
View attachment 192870
View attachment 192871
We make it and enjoying the view !!!
View attachment 192872
Nevada falls with Half Done in the back ground on the way down.

Nice pics! Man, I could not do that. I would freeze then have someone get the fire department with a long ladder to get me down.

Top Bottom