Winch wiring questions

Wethy

I have a new bumper coming in the next few weeks a warn M8000 will be purchased shortly after. I do have a few questions though and I would appreciate any help you guys can provide.

1. Is there any hazard of battery drain over long period of time if the jeep is not driven if the winch is wired directly to the battery? (I can't imagine so since the winch motor won't be running but I'm still curious)

2. Is there a way to wire a power on/off switch in the cab? Would I need to use a solenoid/electric isolator?

3. Are in cab winch controls(in/out) preferable to using the controller plugged into the jeep? And is there any real benefit to having the in cab controls other than stringing out the controller?

Wethy

I asked a similar question a couple weeks back. A lot of the info was great, found at http://wayalife.com/showpost.php?p=653210

Hope that helps and good luck with your new goodies!!!

Thanks that does help answer questions 1. And 2. So my only other question remains ha ha.

And it should look good I ordered the Rampage stubby as I had looked at it but hadn't seen many reviews but after seeing NFrS2000NYCs post about the accident he had with his full width it seemed like a good bumper so I ordered the stubby version!

I tried searching for winch questions but apparently my searching skills aren't great on the wayalife app. So I appreciate it!

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1457766203.908142.jpg

Coop

Caught the Bug
3. Are in cab winch controls(in/out) preferable to using the controller plugged into the jeep? And is there any real benefit to having the in cab controls other than stringing out the controller?

There are times when using the winch controller inside the cab makes sense, but there are times when running the winch is best done from the outside with you steering. The Warn controllers have a cord long enough to do it either way safely. Some Warn winches can use a wireless remote accessory. Mine can use this accessory but I haven't run into a need for this and don't intend to add it. Don't know if I answered your question.

sc_rhino

I have a new bumper coming in the next few weeks a warn M8000 will be purchased shortly after. I do have a few questions though and I would appreciate any help you guys can provide.

1. Is there any hazard of battery drain over long period of time if the jeep is not driven if the winch is wired directly to the battery? (I can't imagine so since the winch motor won't be running but I'm still curious)

2. Is there a way to wire a power on/off switch in the cab? Would I need to use a solenoid/electric isolator?

1. There's no hazard of battery drain plus it would be a pain to have to unhook it every time.
2. I've seen people do the in cab controls. I think one person had an On/Off switch with a Momentary ON/Off/On switch for the In and Out functions.
3. Just remember sometimes it can be handy for someone outside of the jeep to control the winch since they would have a better view of the situation. Like if you are recovering a flipped over vehicle.

Eugene the Jeep

I installed a 500/1200 amp relay when I installed my winch. Mounted it in front of the battery and installed an illuminated switch in the center console to turn it on and off. Cost about a $100.00 on ebay. Most people say you don't need it, I think it's cheap protections.

Attachments

• 1457797404820.jpg
    1457797404820.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 132
  • 1457797416093.jpg
    1457797416093.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 129

USMC Wrangler

Thanks that does help answer questions 1. And 2. So my only other question remains ha ha.

And it should look good I ordered the Rampage stubby as I had looked at it but hadn't seen many reviews but after seeing NFrS2000NYCs post about the accident he had with his full width it seemed like a good bumper so I ordered the stubby version!

I tried searching for winch questions but apparently my searching skills aren't great on the wayalife app. So I appreciate it!

View attachment 192399

Glad it helped some! I seem to get better search results using an Internet search engine. For example (winch wiring) forum:Wayalife

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I winch from in the driver seat all the time. The cord is plenty long to reach from the winch to the driver seat.

mrfacundo01

Was just wondering the same questions this week. Thanks for the post. Very helpful. I think the relay isolator is the way to go. I am thinking about putting a battery isolator switch on the hot leg to keep that leg cold until the winch is needed. Can't remember the last time I used the winch, not that my jeep is baddass or anything like thag, but usually run local big bear stuff since my jeep isn't built for anything like the Rubicon.

Wethy

Good to know everyone I figured most controllers would be able to reach the drivers window anyways but just wasn't really sure whether in cab switches were worth it ha ha. Guess I'll save the remaining switch spots on my pillar switch panel for an air compressor/rear locker and forget about doing these switches

Eezybreezy08

I just hooked mine up a couple of weeks ago and I wired it straight to the battery and I've had no problem. Now I'm gonna go back and look at where I ran the wires cause I just kinda through it in there. [emoji15]

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug

View attachment 192399

Haha, good call, the bumper is definitely solid, especially the center part of it. You won't be disappointed. To this day, the toughest powdercoat (textured version) I've seen on ANY part, from ANY country, at ANY price.

Wethy

Haha, good call, the bumper is definitely solid, especially the center part of it. You won't be disappointed. To this day, the toughest powdercoat (textured version) I've seen on ANY part, from ANY country, at ANY price.

I'm glad to hear it! I ordered the textures version as I figure the glossy version might look a little out of place with my sport trim flares so the textured should match up nicely and it was between that and the purejeep bare bones I liked both but just wasn't sure of the quality but after seeing your unfortunate post it helped me make up my mind! So thank you!

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
I'm glad to hear it! I ordered the textures version as I figure the glossy version might look a little out of place with my sport trim flares so the textured should match up nicely and it was between that and the purejeep bare bones I liked both but just wasn't sure of the quality but after seeing your unfortunate post it helped me make up my mind! So thank you!

I've actually seen this bumper validated numerous times. Once was a guy in Alaska plowing into a moose at 50mph, no damage. Another was a smash into a tree on a trail (slid on mud and down the hill into a tree), again, no bending of the tubes. They are triangulated well and the steel is exceptionally thick in key places, where it needs to be. It's one of those bumpers that's made in China, but it's actually quite solid. Up until last week, I was driving with second hand knowledge of it's solidness, now I have my own. BTW, just ordered a can of herculiner from amazon to touch up the scratched areas to make it 100% again. $20 after a "serious" car accident? Sign me up. :) BTW, everything functioned as it should, no airbags deployed or anything, so dont let those fake ads tell you about "airbag compatible" nonsense.

Top Bottom