Transfer case question

nmwranglerx

Caught the Bug
In swapping out the yokes at the front side of my t-case, I noticed a bit of play (sliding back & forth about 1/4 in) in the shaft where the yoke slides on. After installing the new 1350 driveshaft, I'm hearing a faint clunking sound. I'm wondering if I damaged my t-case when removing the old 1310 yoke from it. I've attached a picture of the part in question.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1457836327.501230.jpg

jeeeep

Hooked
In swapping out the yokes at the front side of my t-case, I noticed a bit of play (sliding back & forth about 1/4 in) in the shaft where the yoke slides on. After installing the new 1350 driveshaft, I'm hearing a faint clunking sound. I'm wondering if I damaged my t-case when removing the old 1310 yoke from it. I've attached a picture of the part in question.

View attachment 192513

did you have to beat on it to remove the 1310? may be the lighting and angle but are a could of those splines shinier than the others - damaged?

you were able to get the nut on there to the proper torque? I think 160' lbs?

nmwranglerx

Caught the Bug
I did use a hammer to try and unseat the old 1310 yoke but I wasn't aggressive. In the end I got a gear puller to remove it. I think it's the light making the splines look the way they do. There isn't side to side play, it's a lateral movement of the output shaft. With the new yoke on, the movement is cut down to almost none, but with shaft installed, there's a strange knock sound even at very low speeds, that gets louder as i accelerate. The bolt is torqued to 150 ft/lbs.
I'm going to put the jeep on jack stands and have my wife give it some gas so I can visually inspect or film with GoPro so I can see what's going on. I really just wanted to know if it's normal to have lateral movement in the t-case front output shaft so I can rule that out as being the culprit.

robx251

Caught the Bug
If memory serves, I think there is a big o-ring that you need to take out of the other yoke. It has been a while since I did mine tho

nmwranglerx

Caught the Bug
If memory serves, I think there is a big o-ring that you need to take out of the other yoke. It has been a while since I did mine tho

Yep. I wasn't sure if I needed to reuse the o-ring since the new 1350 yoke was different in design, but I decided to take the new yoke back off and put the o-ring in. I re-torqued the nut down good and tight and all seems to be good now. With the driveshaft installed, there is no longer any lateral play. I suspect I didn't have the nut on tight enough or that o-ring helps to snug things up. I guess it's normal to have some lateral movement on the t-case output shaft when the yoke isn't installed. I just didn't notice this when I removed the factory one and installed the 1310 a few years back. I took a little go pro vid to inspect the driveshaft while it's spinning. Pretty cool to see it in action.

Top Bottom