Yes you can pull a trailer with your JK Unlimited

Solar Dude

image.jpg So I was looking for a new ride that could haul my family of 4, pull our 17' travel trailer and be a good trail vehicle. I was looking at 4runners, exterra's, and JKU's. They all have similar HP, wheelbase etc. the JK's while being the most capable off-road had significantly lower tow capacities, except the Rubicon because of the 4.10 gears. I also discovered that the JKU had a 5000lbs. tow capacity in Europe so I knew it wasn't a mechanical limitation but actually an issue with DOT and the soft/removable top. While I'm not saying to exceed the factory stated tow capacity I was much more comfortable being close to the maximum tow capacity. I knew I needed a 2012 or newer model with the 3.6 because the 205 HP of the 3.8 was not going to cut it pulling a 2800lbs. trailer. I recently stumbled upon a 2012 JKUR for sale and jumped on it. I also know set-up was key, I wanted to lift it but knew I couldn't go crazy with height or tire size for towing. I settled with a 2.5" AEV because of the multi rate springs and bilstien shocks, I also invested in a real good load distribution hitch. I can tell you this set up kicks ass and am extremely satisfied with its performance. No air bags, no sag. image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited:

BamBamDeer

Nice trailer. The wife and I have been eyeing something similar for awhile now.

Did you do any brake upgrades?

That is a nice setup. I am interested about the brakes as well. My Wife and I have been discussing a similar setup. I just wasn't sure it would be feasible . Thanks for the post and I look forward to hearing more.

BdugJK

I will be showing this to the wife soon, in hopes of camper shopping in the future. Nice man :thumb:

croge17

I haul a 15' hard side starcraft AR-one with mine. No probems with 4.56 gears and automatic on 35's other than being slow in the mountains. Im going to 5.13 gears and 37's for this year and dont forsee any problems.

IV been hauling a trailer with the jeep for years love it. No additional upgrades just flipped the axle so it rides even. Had a borla exhaust and that added some horsepower but pulls like a champ

Attachments

• 1457841733669.jpg
    1457841733669.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 1,456

BamBamDeer

IV been hauling a trailer with the jeep for years love it. No additional upgrades just flipped the axle so it rides even. Had a borla exhaust and that added some horsepower but pulls like a champ

Looks like you have everything you need for an extended stay. I really like the color of your Rig!

Solar Dude

Yes have trailer brakes, as part of the purchase I had the dealer install the mopar tow package and the I installed a prodigy 3 brake controller. Proper gearing, spring rate, load distribution hitch with sway control AND trailer brakes are all key to happy towing miles.

BamBamDeer

Yes have trailer brakes, as part of the purchase I had the dealer install the mopar tow package and the I installed a prodigy 3 brake controller. Proper gearing, spring rate, load distribution hitch with sway control AND trailer brakes are all key to happy towing miles.

Thanks for the info. I have retired and we are wanting to travel more. Your set up looks great and well planned out. You have been very helpful.

BentMetal

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1457844977.322358.jpg I pull our 3200lb trailer with no problems. The only complaint I have are all of the tow mirrors I have tried vibrate too much so it's hard to see when I make lane changes. Other than that I don't have any complaints.

Journeyman

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1457851089.889144.jpg

Our little M-416 replica with our roof top tent. Jeep barely notice's the trailer, pretty light though. Probably still under a thousand pounds all loaded up.
I had the RTT on top of the jeep for one road trip and decided very quickly that it had to come off.

Top Bottom