Auto trans oil cooler

BumblebeeZA

Hi guys

I have a 2008 3.8 JKUR auto.
Currently have 33" tyres, 2.5" lift, stubby front bumper
Stock gearing, stock driveshaft etc
ODO reading is 61500km's now.

I live in Cape Town South Africa, temp in summer around 30C- 35C winter around 10C - 20C

I have not had a HOT warning yet or no signs etc yet, but I want a prevention for the future if the HOT auto issue is really a common problem.
I have done the recall where it warns you before boiling point or something, but is that good enough?
I dont want it getting so hot that it may cause damage.

Should I get an aftermarket cooler, is it a DIY thing to do like no bleeding of oil etc?
Or is this something a professional should rather install.

Is this a MUST have or is it installed as a precautionary for most?

hyvltge

I just had my check engine light come on the other day for high temp operation. I'm going to Moab on Friday. Feeling pretty nervous about my tranny right about now ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1457964224.651339.jpg

rogerk93

It is cheap and simple to add a trans oil cooler. I added one before I did anything big for the same reason to prevent seeing it in the future.

Jeepers46

I have an 08 with the 3.8 also and the trans cooler is the first upgrade I did. There are a couple of YouTube videos that show how to install one pretty well. Basically mount it in front of the radiator and clip the two rubber lines at the bottom drivers side of the the radiator to splice in the cooler lines. It took me longer to decide how I wanted to run the lines from the cooler than anything.

BamBamDeer

My last JK was a 2011. I had mine installed the 2nd day I had it. I ran it until November last year and never had a problem. I would install one.

Top Bottom