I deserve the Darwin Award...

jeeeep

Hooked
so I had what i thought was about a gallon of gas in my AEV fuel tank from last year and thought I'd run it through my tank to get rid of it. I waited until I was low on fuel to get a good mix but it turns out there must have been about five gallons left in the AEV tank...ughhh so now I need to drain my tank. I'm thinking if I remove the filler neck I can siphon it out through there unless someone has an easier way without dropping the tank. :doh: :doh: :doh:

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
if you can get a tube all the way down in there, you may be able to siphon it out. I thought I dropped a socket, dont ask how, down the tube and was freaking out.

zimm

Caught the Bug
You're worried about year old gas? Or did you dump something other than gas in there?

WJCO

Meme King
That sucks man. Run Stabilizer in the future, too. We've got a generator we use stabilizer in. It's started 5 years in a row, with no new fuel.

USMC Wrangler

That sucks man. Run Stabilizer in the future, too. We've got a generator we use stabilizer in. It's started 5 years in a row, with no new fuel.

Sorry to hear about that, jeeeep...

Same here. I think Sta-bil is the brand I use in my generator and other small engine stuff. Works great.

Last edited:

Coop

Caught the Bug
Same here. I think it's Sta-bil is the brand I use in my generator and other small engine stuff. Works great.[/QUOTE said:
I use Sta-Bil also. Never had trouble with it. Don't know if there are any octane boosters other than racing fuel.

jeeeep

Hooked
yeah, I'll definitely use sta-bil in the future I really didn't think the gas would be bad being it was less than a year old.

jeeeep

Hooked
btw, the Jeep is running rough, real rough since I put that in gas in. so I'm going to siphon it out before it causes other issues

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
btw, the Jeep is running rough, real rough since I put that in gas in. so I'm going to siphon it out before it causes other issues

You know, you could leave it in there and suddenly have an excuse for a new engine. ;)

WJCO

Meme King
If you don't already have a siphon, looks like you can find tons from cheap ones to expensive ones:

https://www.google.com/webhp?source...&ie=UTF-8#q=electric+gas+siphon+pump&tbm=shop

Side note, crazy story: At our old house one night, we woke up to a LOUD explosion about 3am. The news reported on it shortly after. Turns out a dude had been stealing gas with some electric pump, and the gas tank exploded from a spark. In other words, be careful. Here's the article:

http://www.timescall.com/ci_20759427/

jeeeep

Hooked
You can't tell the difference between one gallon and five gallons? :thinking:

nah, I had been using it a little bit at a time trying to get rid of the gas and since I couldn't see inside the AEV tank had no idea how much was actually left. I found out as soon as I looked at my gas gauge and have had move the needle much further than I had anticipated

Jeepnoub

Maybe try some octane booster. I have NO personal experience. But I know the octane rating goes down as gas goes bad. And the higher the rating more resistant it is to preignite from compression. So, with a lower octane it could be preigniting.

Again no idea if this will work or not, just a wild hair thought.

WW_Svi

Not sure if this will help since i haven't looked at how the fuel lines are connected on a wrangler but on my car I can disconnect the fuel line at the filter or fuel rail, I've done this before and ran a hose to a gas can, just turn the key to on without starting it and the pump will do all the work for you.

jeeeep

Hooked
update... turns out it was not my fuel, the station got water in their tanks from all the rain and failed to shut down their pumps.

after siphoning the gas out and thanks for the fuel rail line idea :thumb: I removed the fuel line to get the rest of the water out. the fuel pump must have a safety feature on it because it would shut off every few seconds and I had to cycle the key on and off for the pump to work. I'm glad my neighbor was home and helped me get the remaining water - another gallon's worth!

Jeep idles and runs great.

Here's a sample of what was in the tank:

water_gas.jpg

water_gas2.jpg

WW_Svi

You know, now that you say that, I believe I "hot wired" my fuel pump relay to be on all the time when I did it. Cycling the key works though.

Glad you got the problem solved!

ScoobyCarolanNC

Not sure if this will help since i haven't looked at how the fuel lines are connected on a wrangler but on my car I can disconnect the fuel line at the filter or fuel rail, I've done this before and ran a hose to a gas can, just turn the key to on without starting it and the pump will do all the work for you.

Be careful. Engines that use direct injection are insanely high pressure. I think my 08 Audi was over 2500psi.

WJCO

Meme King
update... turns out it was not my fuel, the station got water in their tanks from all the rain and failed to shut down their pumps.

after siphoning the gas out and thanks for the fuel rail line idea :thumb: I removed the fuel line to get the rest of the water out. the fuel pump must have a safety feature on it because it would shut off every few seconds and I had to cycle the key on and off for the pump to work. I'm glad my neighbor was home and helped me get the remaining water - another gallon's worth!

Jeep idles and runs great.

Here's a sample of what was in the tank:

View attachment 193230

View attachment 193231

Glad you solved the problem.

Be careful. Engines that use direct injection are insanely high pressure. I think my 08 Audi was over 2500psi.

Indeed. Direct injection is extremely high pressure.

Top Bottom