Passenger side hardtop screw hole not aligned. Afraid to strip bolt putting back in

BobRubicon

Removed hard top and had it off for a few days. Was my first time taking it off and loved it.
When putting the Freedom hard top back on, the screw that gets put in on the passenger side roof won't go in.
I looked down in and see the hole in the Freedom top does not align with the hole in the top of the frame.
Trying to force it in makes the screw not go in vertically and will begin to feel like it is stripping it so I backed off right away.
It didn't seem to have an issue coming out (that I remember).

Not sure how to fix it best. I know others have seen this.

Recommended fix?

Personally I'm leaning towards grinding out some of the hole on the Freedom top corner so the screw can go in vertically ok.

2016 JKU Rubicon Hard Rock

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
Any pics or video?

The screws will be a little wobbly if you don't get them lined up perfectly and you could get them started crooked. Do you have the freedom top panels for sure back in place lined up correctly?

iRonin

If I'm understanding it correctly, it sounds like your hard top isn't seated properly on the tub... make sure that both lower sides have sunk down in proper alignment (the bottom edge of the hard top has guide pins that should align to holes along the rail)

Beyond that, lift the hard top back off and make sure you don't have anything on top of the cage/speaker bar that is stopping the top from coming down flush. Common culprit here is Spiderwebshade/Smittybuilt shade balls that need to be rotated down out of the way.

thesavagelif3

I have this issue all of the time putting mine back on, I always go to the sides and wiggle here and there and eventually it seats just right.

jeeeep

Hooked
the clips that hold the nut side are on sliders , you can slide it to line up with the hole better.

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
the clips that hold the nut side are on sliders , you can slide it to line up with the hole better.

I think it's the one up top that the OP is referring too. I read it wrong also but thought he was talking about the deals that screw into the freedom top panels.

OP, like mentioned, make sure the top is setting all the way down on the tub. I've never had mine not line up unless it wasn't all the way down. Usually from the wife helping me. [emoji19] lol.

jeeeep

Hooked
Removed hard top and had it off for a few days. Was my first time taking it off and loved it.
When putting the Freedom hard top back on, the screw that gets put in on the passenger side roof won't go in.
I looked down in and see the hole in the Freedom top does not align with the hole in the top of the frame.
Trying to force it in makes the screw not go in vertically and will begin to feel like it is stripping it so I backed off right away.
It didn't seem to have an issue coming out (that I remember).

Not sure how to fix it best. I know others have seen this.

Recommended fix?

Personally I'm leaning towards grinding out some of the hole on the Freedom top corner so the screw can go in vertically ok.

2016 JKU Rubicon Hard Rock

ahh I read this wrong too...it's the front top ...like others have mentioned, reseat the top, don't put the rear screws in until you have the front top lined up.

Do not grind anything off! you'll create leaks

Top Bottom