Maple Syrup Smell

SnailTrail

I know the smell is from the coolant but i cant figure out why. I just noticed my overflow bottle is nearly empty and the rad is full. I have never had any flucuation in coolant temps nor any wet spots on or under the vehicle. I also have no smoke coming from the tailpipe. Ive had the smell for some time too. I looked around the exhaust to see if I can see any spots where it may burn and didnt aee anything there either. Any ideas what it can be? Jeep is at the dealer for some warranty work now and having them take a look. Just curious what you guys think it could be.

kbp810

Caught the Bug
Leaking water pump seal perhaps? That's fairly common.

I've also had a small pin hole leak at the hose where it connected to the heater core at the firewall; took a long time before I found that one.

SnailTrail

I looked by the pump. Didnt see any fluid buildup or anything. Hopefully its something simple. Should hear something this afternoon.

NecessaryEvil

Caught the Bug
Hard to say without pressure testing the system. It's possibly to smell the coolant without it being the heater core. Most likely a leak in the engine bay somewhere. If it was an internal leak (head leak) you would smell it out the exhaust. If it's a slow head leak, it will not always smoke out the exhaust. Just some food for thought.

SnailTrail

Havent heard a thing yet. It was supposed to be finished yesterday afternoon. They are only changing axld seals. Never even got to it. Should be today

jeeeep

Hooked
if you can only smell it when the window is down, check for melted plastic on your exhaust.

Had this happen on our Toyota, it had a burned sweet smell you could smell when the windows were down but not in the engine bay. Turned out to be a plastic bag that got hung and melted to the muffler.

Stuff melted hard on there, had to take a scraper to remove it.

SnailTrail

They think it may be the water pump so they are pressurizing it and letting it sit over night. It should be done tom now. Better cause im getting my wheels put on sunday

WJCO

Meme King
if you can only smell it when the window is down, check for melted plastic on your exhaust.

Had this happen on our Toyota, it had a burned sweet smell you could smell when the windows were down but not in the engine bay. Turned out to be a plastic bag that got hung and melted to the muffler.

Stuff melted hard on there, had to take a scraper to remove it.

That happened to my parents car when I was a kid. Stuck and stunk for weeks.

Top Bottom