Upgrading Differential Covers Question

bfschor

Hey guys, my rear diff cover has been seeping for several months. Not enough to cause any drips, but enough to annoy me. It's been about 65k miles since I changed the gear oil, so I figure I might as well do that and upgrade my covers.

So I went searching for covers......most every manufacturer has them priced competitively around $100 per cover, except ARB and AEV, which are about $200 each. So what gives??? What makes these two an extra $100??? I can see maybe an extra $30-$40 for the name, but not $100!!

Does ARB & AEV have an edge over the other guys? They look different, though Teraflex looks just the same, but Teraflex is not in the same price range.

Most everything I read shows people recommending either Poison Spyder or Riddler. Is it solely because of price?

Another thing, wouldn't it be that the more simple the cover, the stronger it'd be and less chance of leaking you'd have? Teraflex has 2 fill holes - one for high pinion. ARB has a drain hole plus another hole for for filling and includes a dip stick. And AEV has 3 holes!

Anyway, I look forward to everyone's responses.

Thanks,
Brian

Last edited:

Peak

I couldn't tell you if there's a difference but I went with solid covers. They are $60 a piece, many people run them with no issues.

bfschor

I couldn't tell you if there's a difference but I went with solid covers. They are $60 a piece, many people run them with no issues.

Yeah, Solid was another one I read a lot of people talking about. One other thing that caught my eye with all these covers was that some were designed so that the mounting bolts were protected. I'd imagine that'd be pretty important as well, right? AEV's look to protect the most, but I'm not sure that feature is worth the price. I don't play in rocks, but when I'm in mud, rocks are hard to see and miss. I can see a rock doing a number on one of the mounting bolts and make it hard for a socket to fit it.

DGP

im running a riddler cover and it does its job. Protects the bolt heads, doesn't have sharp edges to get caught on, and is very strong. Not much more to really ask for. :cool:

WarriorJeep

I'm running a Dynatrac, which I could not be happier with personally. I've looked at the others, none of them seem to be as well built, and the Dynatrac does not have a lip to catch as I drag over things

Evil

I had the old style PSC ones on my old jeep and I liked the way they protected the bolts and didnt have anything to catch on a rock and the design allowed you to ramp it on stuff if need be. For some reason my rear cover looked like it was beat to hell and the front looked good, go figure but they both did their job. Dollar for performance wise I liked the PSC covers and will probably run them on the new jeep just because they are still 100 bucks each and did their job.

RedRum

I am also on the market for diff covers but my concern was clearance issues with stock components on a 44 with any of these as I have heard that some will make contact when flexing ?? Not trying to hijack the thread just adding to the questions lol

mcgyvr

..most every manufacturer has them priced competitively around $100 per cover, except ARB and AEV, which are about $200 each. So what gives??? What makes these two an extra $100???

Welcome to the world..
People will buy it ONLY because it says "ARB" :yup:
AEV marketing material shows it has a few more "holes" than others

Why do people pay for a brand new $700+ iphone each year.. Because its an iphone

I ran a riddler 30 on the zj and its beefy to say the least.. rocks are scared of it :rock:.. picked it up for under $100 shipped

JKbrick

I run the stock covers that are sealed on with The Right Stuff. Then I took a Rugged Ridge guard and cut off the guard part and kept the flange part to reinforce the lip. Pic of before it was on
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1458176042.035180.jpg
Then Yeep just sent me two spares for free plus $20 shipping

Evil

I am also on the market for diff covers but my concern was clearance issues with stock components on a 44 with any of these as I have heard that some will make contact when flexing ?? Not trying to hijack the thread just adding to the questions lol

New PSC cover will work on stock or lifter Jeeps. The old style will not, they will rub the track bar during flex.

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
New PSC cover will work on stock or lifter Jeeps. The old style will not, they will rub the track bar during flex.

Is there an easy way to tell them apart? I'd like to get these but I'm afraid the shops over here may only have old stock

Evil

Is there an easy way to tell them apart? I'd like to get these but I'm afraid the shops over here may only have old stock

I would order them from a place that specifies they are the new style. Even the places that have the old stock will say "old style" Ill get a pic on Monday of the new style. After I posted last night in this thread I ordered a set.

Speedy_RCW

Hooked

The new ones have the fill hole in the correct spot which is at the bottom of the axle tubes. The old ones have the full plug higher up in the cover.

Evil

Here are some pics off the PSC site. Fill hole is definitly lower on the new ones and I read its a little slimmer then the old ones too.

New Style.
42-11-044-PC-2.jpg

Old Style.
JasonShearer01.jpg

Hey guys, my rear diff cover has been seeping for several months. Not enough to cause any drips, but enough to annoy me. It's been about 65k miles since I changed the gear oil, so I figure I might as well do that and upgrade my covers.

So I went searching for covers......most every manufacturer has them priced competitively around $100 per cover, except ARB and AEV, which are about $200 each. So what gives??? What makes these two an extra $100??? I can see maybe an extra $30-$40 for the name, but not $100!!

Does ARB & AEV have an edge over the other guys? They look different, though Teraflex looks just the same, but Teraflex is not in the same price range.

Most everything I read shows people recommending either Poison Spyder or Riddler. Is it solely because of price?

Another thing, wouldn't it be that the more simple the cover, the stronger it'd be and less chance of leaking you'd have? Teraflex has 2 fill holes - one for high pinion. ARB has a drain hole plus another hole for for filling and includes a dip stick. And AEV has 3 holes!

Anyway, I look forward to everyone's responses.

Thanks,
Brian

Dynatrac also offers a full line of heavy duty differential covers that provide an extra piece of mind when out on the trail. They are cast from our proprietary nodular iron for strength and durability. Strategically located RockRibs on the covers add more protection to vital internal components. These rockproof covers also add structural rigidity to the axle housing. The have thick, machined gasket surfaces for sure-sealing and an easy-to-access oil fill plug. Allen-head fasteners, which are less susceptible to damage from rocks are included. Best of all, our covers are all made right here in the United States. Check them out at http://www.dynatrac.com/accessories/pro-seriestm-differential-covers.html

JAGS

Hooked
Dynatrac also offers a full line of heavy duty differential covers that provide an extra piece of mind when out on the trail. They are cast from our proprietary nodular iron for strength and durability. Strategically located RockRibs on the covers add more protection to vital internal components. These rockproof covers also add structural rigidity to the axle housing. The have thick, machined gasket surfaces for sure-sealing and an easy-to-access oil fill plug. Allen-head fasteners, which are less susceptible to damage from rocks are included. Best of all, our covers are all made right here in the United States. Check them out at http://www.dynatrac.com/accessories/pro-seriestm-differential-covers.html

After ruining my rear stock cover, I went with the dynatrac cover. Great product. Like how the bolts are secured being slightly recessed. And, I trick myself into thinking I'm running that awesome PR60. [emoji106]lol.

mw149!

I kinda prefer the diff sliders. You might consider them as an option; cheaper, look cool, offer more protection and you don't have to break the diff seal. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1458349942.876682.jpg

Top Bottom