Opinions Needed with broken LSD rear

NAUJK

Alright everyone! So I would like to see some input from people as to what they would do if they were in the same situation as myself.

So my rear stock 44 just before I left for Moab this last weekend I changed the fluid... and was unhappy with what came out. Some large chunks... I opened it up and sure enough some gears in the LSD are chipped.

Being the idiot that I am and that I was leaving for Moab 2 days after I did the fluid change I went ahead and drove it to Moab and wheeled it for 5 days. It was determined from a couple occasions that my LSD is no longer functioning.

So with a no longer functioning LSD and the chipped teeth on the gears in the LSD I need to do something with the rear end. (Ring gear looked to be fine)

I have yet to open it since getting back from Moab.

In yalls expert to not so expert opinion how should I fix this...

Lock the rear with an ARB like my front?

Throw another LSD in the back?

Any other options?

xflstl

The Hammer Trails, which are located in Johnson Valley, CA, are legendary for having some the toughest and most demanding Jeep trails in the world. In this short video, you will see highlights from run we did with our good friend Jeff (gonegoannas) up one of the easier of the Hammer Trails known as, Clawhammer. Rated a 4 by the Victor Valley 4 Wheelers, Clawhammer is a short trail but still quite demanding and one that really should be done in a Jeep JK Wrangler that is equipped with at least 35" tires, lockers front and rear and of course, a good set of rocker guards.

If you can afford it, lock it with and arb and go 35 spline.

jorgelrod

Hooked
Lock the rear, that should be your first choice.

Option two could be a truetrac LSD in the rear

Whether you choose an air locker or E-Locker, it will always be a better choice than an LSD

twoxstreem

I went through 2 factory LSD before i went with an ARB.

I now find that when unlocked everyday driving is much more predictable on the rear because the ARB locker is open and with the original LSD diff on wet pavement pavement going sideways was pretty common.

so ARB and if you already have onboard air i would do that.

swampdog

I went through 2 factory LSD before i went with an ARB.

I now find that when unlocked everyday driving is much more predictable on the rear because the ARB locker is open and with the original LSD diff on wet pavement pavement going sideways was pretty common.

so ARB and if you already have onboard air i would do that.

This. You already have air and the manifold, get the air locker and be done.

iRonin

:twocents:
Diffs are tough to comment on because recommendations depend heavily on factors like $ available, access to a shop and/or knowhow to properly work on them, etc...

Right now with chunks floating about, beyond the non-functioning LSD you're constantly rolling the dice on loose metal wearing the R&P and Axle Shafts every time you drive... so the sort of "immediate need" I would take care of is swapping out that entire carrier for even a stock open one that you can probably pick up for $free.99 if you know anyone from, or have access to, an offroad shop. Migrate the ring gear over to the new carrier and clean the hell of the housing/components as best you can. With ground metal floating about for so long, you probably won't be able to clean the bearings well enough but at least a clean/non-damaged setup should last a bit longer and won't be shedding additional big chunks that can grenade the diff.

Unfortunately, swapping carriers would also mean having to dial the new setup in for backlash/etc so that's where it depends on what kind of knowledge/shop access/fund$ you have available for an intermediate step. If the labor of doing a carrier swap is going to cost a ton, and you'd have to pay for it all again later once you decide on a locker, then you're better off with minimal driving until your locker choice comes in and just get it all done in one go.

As others mentioned I would just go with a full locker option (arb/elocker) - I ran with an ARB locked front and LSD rear for the better part of a year and it was always fairly annoying to be able to crawl up any obstacle I wanted to mount, but then having to ebrake/feather/bump my ass end up because the LSD would only help so much before traction breaks free.

Whichever way you go, though, I would again stress cleaning the ever-living-s*it out of that axle housing and springing for a replacement inner pinion bearing (and carrier bearings if the new setup doesn't come with replacements).
:twocents:

Jk909

I had the same problem on my Yj. The LSD will break again eventually so I would leave it open and lock it when you have the money available

Top Bottom