Who has switched from Fox to King shocks?

Jeepfan30

I am looking for feedback from anyone that has run Fox 2.0 shocks with Plush Ride coils, and then switched to King shocks. I am not looking to start a war about which is better since ride is subjective, just curious if the ride was more firm/less firm, pros/cons. Basically trying to justify spending the extra money for the Kings since they are spec'd to the EVO coils and the Fox are not.

SDG

Caught the Bug
I am going to go out on a limb here and say it is 100% dependant on valving. Pretty sure you could make both perform the same. It completely depends on what valve stacks each shock is equipped with. Hence evo spec kings run Mel's preferred valve stack, which is not what off the shelf kings come with... which may also be different than what off the shelf fox's come with.

I have heard that evo spec with plush ride coils are "firm" and have heard people with fox that said the same.

The question is during what type of driving are you talking about? Rolling on the freeway, on the dirt, washboards, etc. That is where the real difference will be felt, as the shock actually starts performing.

Last edited:

Jeepfan30

I am going to go out on a limb here and say it is 100% dependant on valving. Pretty sure you could make both perform the same. It completely depends on what valve stacks each shock is equipped with. Hence evo spec kings run Mel's preferred valve stack, which is not what off the shelf kings come with... which may also be different than what off the shelf fox's come with.

Right, I agree with what you are saying about the valving. Curious what people's impressions are going from off the shelf Fox valved shocks, to EVO spec King valved shocks.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Right, I agree with what you are saying about the valving. Curious what people's impressions are going from off the shelf Fox valved shocks, to EVO spec King valved shocks.

Well that also depends as well because there are three versions of Evo spec kings. There is the 2.0, 2.5, and adjustable 2.5. The latter is similar to the rancho 9000's in the way that they have a knob on it to adjust the firmness. The regular 2.5 kings do not. Also the 2.0 kings don't have a reservoir like the 2.5's so they will ride different also.

Which also leads me to what fox shocks are you currently running?

kpig

We installed an Enforcer 4" on a JKU, but for some reason, the owner ordered regular King 2.0 instead of waiting for the EVO spec ones. The ride was STIFF, way stiffer than the same suspension with 2.5 EVO spec adjustables. Just my :twocents:. Good luck.

Jeepfan30

Well that also depends as well because there are three versions of Evo spec kings. There is the 2.0, 2.5, and adjustable 2.5. The latter is similar to the rancho 9000's in the way that they have a knob on it to adjust the firmness. The regular 2.5 kings do not. Also the 2.0 kings don't have a reservoir like the 2.5's so they will ride different also.

Which also leads me to what fox shocks are you currently running?

I am currently running Fox 2.0 non reservoir (4"-6"). If I were to buy the Kings, I would buy the 2.0 non reservoir. Thanks,

JAGS

Hooked
I am currently running Fox 2.0 non reservoir (4"-6"). If I were to buy the Kings, I would buy the 2.0 non reservoir. Thanks,

Why would you recommend the non reservoir? There are several variables to this answer I suppose.

I would only suggest the 2.0 for those not planning to wheel much or don't have friends with better set ups. And at that point, why not just go with some rancho shocks and skip high end kings altogether.

The 2.5s are going to give you additional capabilities at speed with ability to run open dirt faster and more comfortable. And with a stronger shock shaft. Etc etc.

Jeepfan30

Why would you recommend the non reservoir? There are several variables to this answer I suppose.

I would only suggest the 2.0 for those not planning to wheel much or don't have friends with better set ups. And at that point, why not just go with some rancho shocks and skip high end kings altogether.

The 2.5s are going to give you additional capabilities at speed with ability to run open dirt faster and more comfortable. And with a stronger shock shaft. Etc etc.

I wasn't recommending any particular shock, I am the OP and was just saying that I am mostly interested in the 2.0 non reservoir because I do not do fast whoops, or open dirt. Because of that I felt maybe the reservoir would be overkill. My main purpose of looking at the King EVO spec is because I have 3" EVO coils. The shocks I am currently running are off the shelf valved Fox 2.0 non reservoir .

The intent of this my thread was to hear from people who had switched from an off the shelf valved shock, to the King EVO spec shock (valved for EVO coils), and if there was a noticeable difference.

Thanks

twoxstreem

I ran both fox 2.0 "BDS" shocks and Evo spec king 2.5 adj with my 4" evo plush rides and the Kings are softer and more predictable for a daily driver.

The kings keep the tires planted on the ground better. I found that the fox shocks would allow the tires to bounce off the pavement during large hard bumps.

I like the look and feel and am happy that i switched. I do think the ride softened up after a few months of use and they are def. softer in the warmer months.

Jeepfan30

I ran both fox 2.0 "BDS" shocks and Evo spec king 2.5 adj with my 4" evo plush rides and the Kings are softer and more predictable for a daily driver.

The kings keep the tires planted on the ground better. I found that the fox shocks would allow the tires to bounce off the pavement during large hard bumps.

I like the look and feel and am happy that i switched. I do think the ride softened up after a few months of use and they are def. softer in the warmer months.

Excellent! That is exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for! Thanks

twoxstreem

Excellent! That is exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for! Thanks

NP.

you will also want to have a 4.5" back space on your wheels or you will run the risk of rubbing the res. tube when locked left or right.

I run nemesis shock relocation brackets on the bottom up front which keep the shock bodies away from the frame during articulation and run with fuel trophy wheels with 4.5" back space and toyo 37x12.5x17.

the rear shocks are a bitch to install but with some patience they fit snugly.

Top Bottom