Mopar Headliner vs Hot Heads

spencerd45

Hello everyone,

I am considering purchasing a headliner for my 2015 jkus and I have been looking at the Hot Heads and Mopar liners. Has anyone had experience with both? Or any experience with one of the 2?

I live in south Florida, so heat is a common issue especially since my hardtop is black. How much head do the liners actually block? I am also concerned about the headliners peeling off from the hot conditions. Has this happened to anyone?

And finally what are the sound advantages? Quieter ride? Improve sound system?

Thanks again. Any input is appreciated.

Spencer

Nbfreak2

I've had the Mopar Head Liner in my 2 door for about 8 months now.In my opinion in helped with heat a little and some road noise,but most road noise comes from the windshield. It does improve the stero sound a little. I feel it provides some insulation value. Personally I could not justify the price diffrence for the Hot Head brand. No issues with peeling from the roof as of yet,just make sure to fallow cleaning directions,prior to instal. So with that said,I'm happy with it and would buy it again if that helps.
I can't say it made a drastic diffrence but did help with heat,cold,sound.

Last edited:

bigmikesndtech

I know it wasn't mentioned in OP's post but I have had the Boom Mat headliner and window surrounds installed for almost a year now. It has definitely helped with road noise, though I did install a complete floor Hushmat at the same time. It's still a Jeep so don't expect a luxury quiet ride but road noise is reduced. Where the Boom Mat does make a considerable difference over stock is that it helps keep the temperature more regulated in the cab both on hot and cold days. I don't feel heat or cold radiating down from the top anymore, which is nice. It has been through a reasonably warm Michigan summer and an Eastern European winter, with a ride in a shipping container in between, and no peeling or cracking so far. If it does peel you could always get some 3M tape and stick it back down.

As Nbfreak said though make sure you follow the install directions and get the top good and clean before you install whatever product you end up with. I bought a bottle of isopropyl alcohol and gave the top a thorough once over with that before letting it dry and using a roller with decent pressure to get everything stuck down.

It looks pretty decent all installed, most people that have ridden in the Jeep think it's stock. Overall for the cost I am happy with it, not overly difficult or time consuming to install and has enough benefits in my opinion. But again, don't expect anything drastic.

greenonions

My 2010 Limited has had the Hothead Headliner since near new. It made a big difference to the heat coming through the top (lived in Los Angeles at the time), and moderate reduction in the road noise. I did not use the supplied Velcro (no tape option back then), I peeled this from the panels and used 3M H-Tack 76 spray on contact adhesive instead. They haven't moved since. Fit was good, and if I bought a another Wrangler, I would do the install again.

Evil

Its starting to heat up here in Vegas and I just bought the Hot heads liner with the roof sound strips so Ill post back once it arrives and I get it installed. I plan on doing the full tub insulation later on so this will be a good test on the liner itself.

°IIIII°

Love my hot head liner, painted inside and added liner. Added a finished look to the jeep. Did help reduce the direct heat coming in; before I could feel heat directly on my head, after install I don't feel this anymore. Noticed it most when sitting watching a movie waiting for my wife to get out of the Gap :) ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1458512200.134485.jpg

Budman

Hot Head Liner

Highly recommend the Hot Head liners.

Drive a Black 2012 JK 4 door and before the Hot Head liners were installed you could not hold your hands up to the top as the black top heats up.
Have had the JK all over CA and Joshua Tree National Park in the summer with temps over 115 and the Hot Heads are the best.

Recommend the full top/side kit! Easy install and well worth the investment.

Evil

Hot Heads is a nice kit, even the packing blows away the Mopar kit. Just off of that along and how easy it was to install I like it so far. It feels like real headliner material, good quality stuff, not some out door carpet with double sided tape. The only complaint and its minimal at that is the seam roller that came with the kit blew apart while I was rolling on the rear section of sound strips :thumb:
IMG_2677.jpg

Total time from unboxing to install was roughly 1.5 hours and 3 beers :beer:
IMG_2681.jpg
IMG_2685.jpg

Ill get some pics in the day, it came out real nice and all my pics are dark as sh#t

captaintexas

I've got hotheads and love them. Ive had them on since September and I have to say that was one of the best buys I made for my JKU (That and the AEV lift). Stereo sounds much better IMO and helps with insulation during winter.

Again, road noise is reduced a little but much of it is from the windshield.

I haven't experienced Texas summer heat with them yet but they keep the cabin nice and cool now.

el_chupo_

I did the Mopar kit a few weeks ago off QuickParts on Ebay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/2011-2016-J...t-MOPAR-GENUINE-OEM-NEW-/191830980333?vxp=mtr

Install was simple, I like the finished look, and they did quiet down the ride.

I used 3 different SPL meters for my iphone (not really accurate readings, but good for comparison against itself). Across the board, regardless of app, speed, or road I tested it on, the headliner cut down on overall noise inside the Jeep by 2-4db. Tested this with Goodyear Duratrac tires, on dry and wet roads, speeds from 40-75 mph, both interstates, local highways, and county roads.

Dont know about the heat yet, but I did it for the noise to kill some of the echo in the Jeep, and I am pleased.

Also looks better than the white, with a few dirty hand prints...

Honor2afault

Caught the Bug
Would anyone happen to know how much, if any, modification would need to be done on a rig with the weld in sport cage?

Evil

Would anyone happen to know how much, if any, modification would need to be done on a rig with the weld in sport cage?

You would probably remove the top, do the install and put the top back on. You shouldn't have to modify anything on the headliner or cage unless it hits the inside of your top.

Honor2afault

Caught the Bug
You would probably remove the top, do the install and put the top back on. You shouldn't have to modify anything on the headliner or cage unless it hits the inside of your top.

Rockon, thank you. I was hoping that was the case.

mdrums

I have the mopar liner. It works good in keeping heat off my head. It made the stereo sound a bit better too. Road noise comes from the tires so I didn't notice anything better there.

I think either brand kit works good for these reasons. I got the Mopar kit due to a stupid deal I got on them.

Last edited:

Kilroy

Just got hotheads in and got the floor boards done also, headliners did make a big difference made a drive out with just headliners then did the floor and oh my god what a difference from the road noise.

Evil

Just got hotheads in and got the floor boards done also, headliners did make a big difference made a drive out with just headliners then did the floor and oh my god what a difference from the road noise.

How much better does the radio sound now :eek:

Kilroy

Radio sounds a billion times better,only downside is now I need to turn up the treble lol. It really dampens the road vibrations from the 35's I have on" The floor dampening that is"

I was in a jeep with Mopar headliners now it was not my vehicle so I can't compare apples to apples but I feel that the hotheads are much better.

Last edited:

JWT

I put in the hotheads about 3 weeks ago, really nice kit, like Evil says, EVERYTHING is there except the acetone (which is nail polish remover fyi). It's very well-made, perfectly cut for the hardtop, and easy to install -- I also got the hush mat strips. It might have taken 2.5 hrs to install very leisurely on a Sunday. It looks great, and I know it makes a difference because now I can really hear the road noise from the floors and the wind noise around the A pillars and mirrors. Radio def. sounds better, and you don't need as much volume.

Journeyman

Hot head liner here. Immediately noticed that I had to turn down the bass on my stereo. Jeep still get warm if course sitting in the sun, but AC is working great at a way lower level. I don't get the heat radiating from the top. 103 yesterday and AC only 3rd setting. Dude that owns the company was local to me and offered a cash discount. Covered the install. He also showed me a liner he's offering for soft tops. Like a bikini top, but with a radiant barrier in it.

Top Bottom