Front end Clunking over baby heads

Solar Dude

I have a used 2012 JKUR that I bought about a month ago with 42,000 miles. It was totally stock and had zero rock rash, looked like it had never been off road. Also it's still very stiff shifting in and out of low range, i don't think the previous owner ever used low range. Anyway the first off road trek I did has a lot of baby head rock sections and I noticed a clunking coming from what seems to be the passenger side front end. Seemed like a loose shock or sway bar link, I wasn't too concerned because I had already ordered an AEV 2.5" lift and just figured I'd find the source and take care of it when I installed the lift. The lift is installed and it's still there, this after I've loosened and retightened all the control arms, sway bar links and replaced the shocks. The tie rod seems to rotate real easy and makes a clunk when it tops and bottoms out. Is this the source?

ScoobyCarolanNC

Your drag link or tie rod? Your tie rod shouldn't move, but the drag link should rotate up & down a bit. If it's the tie rod your ends are shot. If it's the drag link look at the rubber bushings. It's normal for them to look kinda squished, but not cracked. Make sure everything is torqued to spec.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Your drag link or tie rod? Your tie rod shouldn't move, but the drag link should rotate up & down a bit. If it's the tie rod your ends are shot. If it's the drag link look at the rubber bushings. It's normal for them to look kinda squished, but not cracked. Make sure everything is torqued to spec.

The tie rod moves the same as the drag link. The track bar should not move.

Solar Dude

They both rotate, the drag link not as easy. The boots look fine on both the drag link and the tie rod ends. The tie Rod ends don't seem to have any play but the tie Rod rotates very easily.

Desert Crawler

My first advice would be to stop driving over baby heads. That is just wrong. If the tie rod and drag link turn out to be ok, take a look at the sway bar. Sometimes they rub on the frame where a round tube exits. If that is not the case, I could help you take a look at it. I'm up in Virginia City.

benatc1

Hooked
Any movement at all when you try to move the wheel side to side or up and down- when you have the front end jacked up? I'd be happy to help you look for it as well, sometimes helps to have someone look at everything while your turing the wheels/moving the suspension, in Reno so not to far away

Solar Dude

Any movement at all when you try to move the wheel side to side or up and down- when you have the front end jacked up? I'd be happy to help you look for it as well, sometimes helps to have someone look at everything while your turing the wheels/moving the suspension, in Reno so not to far away

Thanks! I'm going to try and get the dealer to replace the tie Rod under the purchase warranty, if he doesn't I'll take you up on that.

Kavanji

do you have a winch? i chased a clunk for over a year and it was the two vertical rollers of the fairlead that caused the clunk.

Top Bottom