Best, least expensive, Spare tire carrier?

Samlautranger

Any one have any suggestions for a inexpensive rear tire carrier, for 35" tires?

Had one of the ORB Fab swing out carriers before, not going that route again.

Need to keep under $500.

thardy

Banned
Your stock one with proper support. Otherwise, I really like Hanson, LoD, and of course EVO (but no where near inexpensive).

Evil

Save up and buy the one you want instead of settling for something just because you have a 500 limit.

Dana

I just put a smitybuilt one on mine.. cost 129.00... Much sturdier with my 35s than stock...only thing I don't like is light bar bracket and added a cable lock.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I just put a smitybuilt one on mine.. cost 129.00... Much sturdier with my 35s than stock...only thing I don't like is light bar bracket and added a cable lock.

You factory wasn't sturdy because it wasn't done correctly. I have 60k miles on my factory carrier with 35's and no issues.

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
You factory wasn't sturdy because it wasn't done correctly. I have 60k miles on my factory carrier with 35's and no issues.

What's your setup? Longer bumpers, resting on the bumper? You're running slabs aren't you?so that's a pretty heavy wheel and tire

Samlautranger

1 1/2" Fernco rubber pipe couplings fit right on the bump stops

Any pics?

I thought a bigger tire on the stock tire carrier will cause damage over time to the gate door and hinges? :thinking: And rattle around, squeak in the back? Also, with 35" tires, can you still see the stock tire carrier break light?

I mean if I can save $500, that would be ideal.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Any pics?

I thought a bigger tire on the stock tire carrier will cause damage over time to the gate door and hinges? :thinking: And rattle around, squeak in the back? Also, with 35" tires, can you still see the stock tire carrier break light?

Yes you can still see the brake light.

Information on the internet isn't always truthful.

thardy

Banned
Any pics?

The thing that causes the rattles and breaks is when the tire isn't properly supported. If it's up against the bumpstops, it shouldn't have an issue with a 35.

Chasemccl

Any one have any suggestions for a inexpensive rear tire carrier, for 35" tires?

Had one of the ORB Fab swing out carriers before, not going that route again.

Need to keep under $500.

I was going to go with the or fab carrier, what did you not like about it?

Samlautranger

I was going to go with the or fab carrier, what did you not like about it?

PITA to install. Did not like having the separate latch, to release to open the rear gate, expensive, did not care over time for the T-Handle tightener, Under weight of the tire it sags a little, so to re-lock the latch always had to lift up a bit (just about a 1/2 inch), have to get a separate rear brake light attachment or mount a light in the wheel, etc. Did the job though as advertised.

Attachments

• CW's Jeep.jpg
    CW's Jeep.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 228

Colorado2003

Just installed the Crawler Concept hing tire carrier. I love it and there is no rattles. I'm running 37s with Spyderlocks. My last JK I had the OR Fab and it was ok but was terrible to install and having to deal with 2 latches got old because it was also my daily driver. It was around $500. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1458529791.886770.jpg

Top Bottom