Dodge AAM heavy duty axles??

5280Sapper

So I'm still looking around for all the goodies that I'm gunna use in my build.. Got my 6.4 rebuilt and the parts needed from a WK to hook the auto trans up and.. I was gunna save for a while and get the Mopar 60's but feel like I'm cheating myself since I'm building the suspension from scratch.. I have an opportunity to get some 06 2500 axles very very cheap and there is ARB's or them and 5.38 gears... the wiring should work for the abs and it has big brakes and cheap to maintain and replace parts if needed.. So the experts who have been researching and building their rigs why don't I see more about them?

bjielsl

I am afraid I can not offer any advice or insight, but you do have me curious. I will be following this thread. A cursory search has shown there seems to be a good amount of aftermarket support for them, and I like your point of easily sourced replacement parts. My first question is the front axle, does it have the same side drop?

geberhard

Douchebag
what do you mean by cheap :D? I was considering Dodge axles, but SD's and old school Fords have more part availability. But it is still hard to beat a pair of already geared and locked tons.

Interested to see where this goes, as I am sourcing axles for my rig in the near future.

Grubbicon

I can tell you a couple reasons why you should go ford axles (like i did). The biggest problem with the dodge is that front is a center disconnect axle. Its just weak and not worth your time. The other big problem you have is the aftermarket support for them are very minimal. Since no one uses these there isnt many people out there to help you figure things out if you run into a problems. Another good way to look at it as there has to be a reason almost no one runs dodge axles (other then old passanger side drop kingpins)

jkwebbie

Get a set of newer Ford axles. Wayyyy more aftermarket support than those Dodge axles. There's a reason why you've never seen anyone swap those axles into a Jeep but can find multiple people who have done the Ford axles with a simple Google search. Plus like Grubbicon said, the front axle isn't all that string because it's a center disconnect axle. Me and Grubbicon are both doing the Ford axle swaps in our Jeeps

5280Sapper

What axle are you referring to as being a center disconnect? And also why ford axles... I don't need more aftermarket support.. Nitro makes a 5.38 gear set. ARB air lockers. RCV makes upgraded front axles if needed. Unit bearing suck but free spin kits are out there and don't have to do that right away. I'm fabricating all suspension truss and tabs needed. I'm just trying to see what you are all seeing.

Top Bottom