Premium Soft Top?

Samlautranger

Worth the $500 upgrade? Two JKs I had before 2009 and 2012 had the standard soft top, and never had any issues with it. But, reading the premium is 3 ply, even quieter, and like the black textured interior. Though the outside has more of a cloth feel to it. Seems most of the stock soft tops on the dealer lots have just the standard soft top. Unless you go with the duel top, which I am not interested in as do not want the hard top at all.

I know if you go to get the equivalent after the fact, you are looking at around $1,500 for the two door, $1,800 for the 4 door.

Anyone riding with the Premium on a daily basis?

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
Worth the $500 upgrade? Two JKs I had before 2009 and 2012 had the standard soft top, and never had any issues with it. But, reading the premium is 3 ply, even quieter, and like the black textured interior. Though the outside has more of a cloth feel to it. Seems most of the stock soft tops on the dealer lots have just the standard soft top. Unless you go with the duel top, which I am not interested in as do not want the hard top at all.

I know if you go to get the equivalent after the fact, you are looking at around $1,500 for the two door, $1,800 for the 4 door.

Anyone riding with the Premium on a daily basis?

In my opinion it is well worth it. My 2013 and 2014 had/have the standard vinyl soft top. My 2016 has the premium soft top. After driving my 14' with the standard soft top, a hard top and then a premium soft top back to back, the difference was night and day. Much quieter, doesn't move around as much on the highway, and the fit and finish is even better. Like you, I had no interest in the dual top. Unless I move to a super cold place like Anchorage, I will never need a hard top. The ability to drop the top at a moments notice is part of why I drive a Wrangler, and the Premium soft top is a good buffer between the standard soft top and a hard top. Well worth it IMO! [emoji106]

Samlautranger

In my opinion it is well worth it. My 2013 and 2014 had/have the standard vinyl soft top. My 2016 has the premium soft top. After driving my 14' with the standard soft top, a hard top and then a premium soft top back to back, the difference was night and day. Much quieter, doesn't move around as much on the highway, and the fit and finish is even better. Like you, I had no interest in the dual top. Unless I move to a super cold place like Anchorage, I will never need a hard top. The ability to drop the top at a moments notice is part of why I drive a Wrangler, and the Premium soft top is a good buffer between the standard soft top and a hard top. Well worth it IMO! [emoji106]

Yep. Even when I had my soft top, I drove it around in the cold weather with the rear window removed (for better visibility). Always stayed nice and warm with the heater. Only zipped up the rear window if below freezing/snowing.

Most of the time in warmer months had all three windows removed, or rolled back the entire soft top.

I mean 50% of the reason to own a Jeep JK is so you can take the top off, other wise why put up with it. Kind of like a really hot looking wife, who sometimes is a PITA - but you put up with her cause she is so much fun with her top off. :D

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
While I have the trektop in twill, If I was going to get an oem top which I still want, I would do the premium twill for sure. Just the color difference for me is worth it since it is much darker.

Jeepfan30

Get the premium twill. I have had the standard top, premium twill top and now the twill trektop on my JK. I love the twill material, doesn't fade in the sun and always has a dark, rich color outside and inside the Jeep. The cab noise is slightly less with the twill, with the trektop being the quietest of the three tops IMO. The twill cleans up nice too if you get it dirty, I know some people have that fear of it staining. I don't ever plan to have a hardtop again after rolling with the twill trektop for the last 2 years.

Last edited:

Labricon

Caught the Bug
Made the move from a Grand Cherokee to JK premium soft top and no hard top last summer and regularly well below freezing here...only thing I miss about hard top is glass rear window for ease of access when plastic is too cold to roll or flip up in winter but like samlautranger said.....

kbp810

Caught the Bug
Premium for sure

It's also been much easier to clean and keep clean. No issues with mud stains, seems to wash right off and stay dark black.

Top Bottom