Rigid dually as fog lights

Deathmask

I recently bought a pair of duallys and installed them as fog lights. The next morning on my way to work I quickly realized why some people say they shouldn't be used as driving lights on the road. They are extremely bright, which is a good thing off road, but on the road they are quite harsh even to me. So I had a thought, would it be possible to wire the lights up to a switch connected to the battery when I want them full power and wire them to the factory fog light switch to the a resistor to turn down the power for road driving?

WJCO

Meme King
Not sure the circuitry on the JKs, but if you wire them to your fog light switch, most vehicles will not allow your high beams to run at the same time. So you lose one or the other. As far as a resistor, sure you could but do your research, LEDs get sensitive when you change resistance, gotta do it right.

Deathmask

I got the flood pattern. But I bought them used so the DOT fog lights weren't an option.

Not sure the circuitry on the JKs, but if you wire them to your fog light switch, most vehicles will not allow your high beams to run at the same time. So you lose one or the other.

But if I also wired them to a separate switch that bypasses the fog light switch and resistors I would be able to run my fogs at full power when I have my high beams on (which isn't often cause I have trucklites too.)

WJCO

Meme King
I got the flood pattern. But I bought them used so the DOT fog lights weren't an option.

But if I also wired them to a separate switch that bypasses the fog light switch and resistors I would be able to run my fogs at full power when I have my high beams on (which isn't often cause I have trucklites too.)

Yep. You could do that.

TrainWreck618

Caught the Bug
Your talking about building a dimmer switch for your dc operated led lights. Are you electrically inclined? If not just stop now. Your chasing the wrong project.

Deathmask

:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

I think they make dimmer switches, not sure though ;)

Yeah I may just swing by Home Depot and pick one up haha.

Trainwreck, why do you say I'm chasing the wrong project? As long as I do my homework and the math correctly it should work right?

This was just an idea that popped into my head. I'm not sure whether it would work or not, that's why I posted it before I attempted to do it. Y'all know quite a bit more when it comes to these things.

TrainWreck618

Caught the Bug
Yeah I may just swing by Home Depot and pick one up haha.

Trainwreck, why do you say I'm chasing the wrong project? As long as I do my homework and the math correctly it should work right?

This was just an idea that popped into my head. I'm not sure whether it would work or not, that's why I posted it before I attempted to do it. Y'all know quite a bit more when it comes to these things.

I am involved in another hobby that involves dimming LED lights. Its not that its not possible, its that the technology isn't here yet to do this in a way that doesn't damage anything. You will see significant wear of the LED's quickly. Again, this can be done. Its just a huge pain to do this when instead you could just spend 200 bucks and hardly any energy on DOT Rigid fogs..

glassboy

The superchips flashpac will allow you to reprogram so your fog lights will remain on with high and low beams

Top Bottom