Lets see all pics of a Slanted JK Tire Carrier

Dubaibentzen

My next project will have a fastback type hardtop like the wildboar. For this I think it would look great with a slanted tire carrier to follow the lines of the top.
Please post pictures and give some feedback. Any rattle? Price? :thumb:

Dubaibentzen

Me too.

So far my (limited) google skills have come up with these options for a slanted tire carrier:

- HD Customs (are they still running..?)
- ACE Engineering
- GO Industries
- Knuckels Offroad

Anyone I have missed?

seanb123

I'd stay away from both. I've heard the wild bore leaks is expensive and then you have 0 visibility and it interferes with everything. Looks cool on a buggy not a dd

Dubaibentzen

I'd stay away from both. I've heard the wild bore leaks is expensive and then you have 0 visibility and it interferes with everything. Looks cool on a buggy not a dd

Thanks for the heads up. I'm not buying the wild boar. I'm having my own type custom made, so it shouldn't leak.

Lucky51

JCR has a jeep pre runner mount. Haven't seen or heard any reviews on it, actually came across it last night. Good luck.

rangerry21

I have the WB fastback top, does have a minor leak by the tailgate...nothing to really bother me though. I love the look! Visibility is ok, with a slant tire carrier visibility would basically b 0. I have the crawler customs tire carrier. I was looking at ACE, but pretty expensive and I wasn't sure about the tire clearance since the hardtop is bulkier that the soft top fastbacks.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Ever think of how you would get a heavy tire off a tire carrier that's five feet or more in the air?

Yeah slant carriers are stupid.

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
Ever think of how you would get a heavy tire off a tire carrier that's five feet or more in the air?

I have always wondered this one myself. Sure they look kinda cool, but seem very un-practical to actually use.

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug

I have always wondered this one myself. Sure they look kinda cool, but seem very un-practical to actually use.

That was my first thought when I saw one. It's hard enough to get one up to the tail gate.

My fear would also be moving all that weight from a big wheel/tire combo up higher, raising your center of gravity. I like low and wide for stability, a carrier that moves all that weight up high really seems counter productive to me.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I'm always amazed at how one guy standing on a rocker guard of a tippy Jeep can help keep it stable. In that same situation, I wonder what would happen if that same guy stood on top of the tailgate instead :thinking:

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
I'm always amazed at how one guy standing on a rocker guard of a tippy Jeep can help keep it stable. In that same situation, I wonder what would happen if that same guy stood on top of the tailgate instead :thinking:

I'm to much of a pussy, I can barely get a 37 on my tire carrier. I cant imagine lifting it tilted.

No even to mention usually when you blow a tire the jeep is in a fucked up spot to begin with..

Last edited:

Dubaibentzen

All good points :thumb: I've also struggled to get a heavy tire lifted up to mount it. That's why I could see the HD Customs being something that would make it super easy. Check out the regular version in this video. It lowers the tire to the ground with some spindle mechanism. http://youtu.be/xLFrE04S0iA
Fast forward to the lowering part :) And the slanted version appears to do the same.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1458658148.860568.jpg
Anyway I might stick with the tried and tested EVO carrier. Just wanted to explore new ideas.

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
I'm not carrying a drill to lower a tire on the trail. Chances are the fucker would be dead when I need it

jk12blk

Me too.

So far my (limited) google skills have come up with these options for a slanted tire carrier:

- HD Customs (are they still running..?)
- ACE Engineering
- GO Industries
- Knuckels Offroad

Anyone I have missed?
HD Customs no longer exists and Knuckles Offroad has suspended operations until they sort out their supply chain issues. I have the KOR bumper w/ their traditional and skewer tire mounts - both of which work well for rock crawling. Mounting the spare is not an issue for me since I'm tall - though it's a bit harder after upgrading from a 37 to a 40. If you search, you can find my original write-up on the KOR bumper install. If I were to do it again, I would still choose the KOR bumper and likely go with the Genright or EVO tire carrier (or a custom tire mount similar to genright or evo).

Top Bottom