Rattling/Clanking from under manual transmission shifter area

Bigjimbo

There is the infamous heat shield vibration near the cross member, solved with some band clamps.

If you can get it up and off the ground. Diagnosing a sound is difficult as it can echo under the vehicle and a rear axle noise can sound like it's coming from your feet.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I noticed your radio wasn't on. Turn it on and the noise will go away.

Eddie's video was resolved. It ended up being a broken pinion in the rear.

Kyle7R

There is the infamous heat shield vibration near the cross member, solved with some band clamps.

If you can get it up and off the ground. Diagnosing a sound is difficult as it can echo under the vehicle and a rear axle noise can sound like it's coming from your feet.

I crawled under there after setting your post, the welds on my heat shield are still in tact, and there's no movement there either. Still checking dinner other places that could cause a similar issue, but bit finding anything.

Thanks for the ideas though, I didn't think of that.

I noticed your radio wasn't on. Turn it on and the noise will go away.

Eddie's video was resolved. It ended up being a broken pinion in the rear.

I've tried that turning up the radio method before, ended up nearly losing a tire on my truck. Anything other symptoms I should look for on issues with the rear?

MattAlpha

Caught the Bug
Back to the heat shield...check to see if the bolt/washer fasteners are all intact on the threaded studs that are used to hold the body's heat in place. I had a rattling in that area and I found all but one fastener were missing.

Hope that helps,
Matt

Top Bottom