No shops near Sacramento that do good work?

deezus

So my dilemma is that I had a corporate shop in Sac do my lift (3.5" RK X factor with Fox shocks and a Rubicon Express Front DS) The next day I inspected it I noticed several, if not all, the Heim joints weren't clocked straight. The URCA's are heim to heim and they were clocked opposite ways. I called RK and they told me that it was wrong and needed to be corrected. I took it back to the "4 wheel shop" and expressed they set up man appointment and they fixed all of them. a few days later I noticed that the rear UCA's were off again, I called and went back in. The mechanic was complaining about it, I told him that RK told me that they shouldn't be that way, he told me that "Every control arm he has installed does that, all the jam nuts come loose and the arms move." They adjusted them again and at that point I decided I wasn't going back to that shop and got a refund on their "Extended Warranty. I then went to 2 other shops and explained what I wanted,I wanted every arm locked down per RK's specifications which included red locktite on the jamnuts, and gave them the install instructions from RK which I printed out. The other main shop just ignored them and torqued them down. 3 days later the arms were unclocked again. I drove by and ask him about it, he just jumped under it with a crescent wrench and some big pliers straightened it and said I was good to go....guess what? 3 days later I noticed it again. I then took it to another shop where I saw a TJ out front told the guy what I needed done and he actually tightened them down and they haven't moved since then, unfortunately I ask them to check my pinion front and back and they threw it on a machine and gave my wrong numbers. I then explained that in order to set/read pinion correctly you need an angle finder, he said he left it at home!
So, now I have an appointment with ORE on Monday to install a rear DS and go over my lift and make sure everything Ive had installed is good to go. My question to you guys is, am I crazy? Is what these shops telling me accurate? I'm no mechanic but I can read installation instructions!

Are jam nuts supposed to come loose and allow CA's to move?

I just want to make sure that when I go wheeling this summer or even drive it I don't break something because something wasn't done correctly. Thanks.

BTW, Mel from ORE, thanks that RE front DS was garbage and was causing all the vibration, running and Adams now.

Last edited:

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
If you know everything that needs to be done why are you paying someone else to do it? Do it yourself and stop bitching.

deezus

If you know everything that needs to be done why are you paying someone else to do it? Do it yourself and stop bitching.

Thanks for nothing bro. There's many reasons why I don't do it myself but what has that got to do with anything? My question to you is in jest please don't respond with assinine comments to my thread. Have a nice day.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Thanks for nothing bro. There's many reasons why I don't do it myself but what has that got to do with anything? My question to you is in jest please don't respond with assinine comments to my thread. Have a nice day.

Whoa. Sorry boss. Didn't know that was against the rules.

jesse3638

Hooked

That is a typical overlander response I'd get used to it...haha. I'm sure he isn't the only one thinking same thing. Though the service you received sounds incorrect I'd have to say most mechanics, plumbers, contractors, etc. don't like to be told how to do their job. Nothing is worse than being followed around by a homeowner scrutinizing your every move. Sounds like you have the "book" knowledge, grab yourself some tools and get to wrenching. Ask some friends for help if you don't fully understand what you are doing or possess the tools to do it. Thats part of owning a jeep, fixing it and knowing what is what. Had I not installed my entire lift I would not be nearly as acquainted with my undercarriage.

deezus

Whoa. Sorry boss. Didn't know that was against the rules.

I don't know if it is or not and I'm not trying to piss anyone off I'm just looking for people, more experienced than I for help that's all. I wish I could do the work myself but I don't feel comfortable doing it as I don't have a garage, Or a jack and jack stands, or all the necessary tools. Like I said, Maybe I'm wrong and blowing everything out of proportion so that's what I need to know and I was hoping to get someone here to explain that to me.

jesse3638

Hooked
I don't know if it is or not and I'm not trying to piss anyone off I'm just looking for people, more experienced than I for help that's all. I wish I could do the work myself but I don't feel comfortable doing it as I don't have a garage, Or a jack and jack stands, or all the necessary tools. Like I said, Maybe I'm wrong and blowing everything out of proportion so that's what I need to know and I was hoping to get someone here to explain that to me.

You're not pissing anyone off. I bet if you asked for help on here from someone local to your area they'd invite you over and help you for the price of beer. I had a guy come over because he wasn't comfortable cutting his fenders. Not my jeep I was more than comfortable cutting them for him..haha. Showed up with a 6 pack of flying dog and away I went with the sawzall.

deezus

That is a typical overlander response I'd get used to it...haha. I'm sure he isn't the only one thinking same thing. Though the service you received sounds incorrect I'd have to say most mechanics, plumbers, contractors, etc. don't like to be told how to do their job. Nothing is worse than being followed around by a homeowner scrutinizing your every move. Sounds like you have the "book" knowledge, grab yourself some tools and get to wrenching. Ask some friends for help if you don't fully understand what you are doing or possess the tools to do it. Thats part of owning a jeep, fixing it and knowing what is what. Had I not installed my entire lift I would not be nearly as acquainted with my undercarriage.

Well maybe I didn't express myself clearly, I didn't tell them what to do I just ask them to make sure that my arms were tight and locked down that's all. I also dropped vehicle off and was told when I picked it up that Everything was done and I was good to go. I hope that clears everything up? Basically ive asked 2 Shops, 4 wheel parts and the metal cloak shop to make sure it was done to RKs specs.

Oh and I do have a garage but its single car and I'm mechanically inclined but not sure where to put jack stands and where to jack up jeep etc.
I guess if I knew what size floor jack what jacks stands to get and tools to buy I would use friends garage.

Last edited:

JAGS

Hooked
Welcome to wayalife[emoji106] For a newb who doesn't wrench, you sure know a lot. Guess you should have just taken it to ORE in the first place. [emoji6]

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Well maybe I didn't express myself clearly, I didn't tell them what to do I just ask them to make sure that my arms were tight and locked down that's all. I also dropped vehicle off and was told when I picked it up that Everything was done and I was good to go. I hope that clears everything up? Basically ive asked 2 Shops, 4 wheel parts and the metal cloak shop to make sure it was done to RKs specs.

Oh and I do have a garage but its single car and I'm mechanically inclined but not sure where to put jack stands and where to jack up jeep etc.
I guess if I knew what size floor jack what jacks stands to get and tools to buy I would use friends garage.

Lol those are not shops. Those are businesses. There is a difference.

deezus

You're not pissing anyone off. I bet if you asked for help on here from someone local to your area they'd invite you over and help you for the price of beer. I had a guy come over because he wasn't comfortable cutting his fenders. Not my jeep I was more than comfortable cutting them for him..haha. Showed up with a 6 pack of flying dog and away I went with the sawzall.

Ok anyone from the Sacramento area wanna help me out? I sure would appreciate it! I gotta install a rear DS and make sure lift kit is all locked down. Let me know if your interested, thanks!

deezus

Welcome to wayalife[emoji106] For a newb who doesn't wrench, you sure know a lot. Guess you should have just taken it to ORE in the first place. [emoji6]

This^
And I have wrenched but I just didn't want to do it myself. I'm a job creator. ;-) But, I Guess I'm gonna have to now.....No more Hollywood jeepin.

But I'm still gonna take it down to ORE this week just to have them install my rear DS and torque and inspect everything. Might spring for the skid plate system. Then I will only need a winch, which I can install so ill just pick up a shittybuilt.....J/K.

Last edited:

WJCO

Meme King
ORE will help you, watch this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDhrv9e7wGc , Not that you'll buy these parts, but they have knowledge and experience with this issue guaranteed.

While it's not normal for those nuts to loosen, it's not uncommon. I had a track bar jam nut that kept coming loose, same thing. I put at least 150 lbs of torque on it and it loosened every few days. Locktite, same thing. I ended up tack-welding it to fix it. It's fixed. I believe that it was loose for awhile, just enough to damage the threads inside so it never torqued properly after that. :idontknow: Not sure.

Top Bottom