Gearing and axle question

Mikecal9985

Ok guys bare with me here. I'm pretty new to this whole jeep thing. I've owned my jeep for a couple years now and I'm still learning a lot. These may be dumb questions to some but I have no idea haha...

1) how do you know if you have a Dana 30 or Dana 44?

2) how can you tell what gears are being used?

3) what's a good gear set up for 35's?

Thanks for all the help guys.

zip04

1. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1458700851.937642.jpg

2. Jack the Jeep up, take the E-brake off and put it in neutral, as you spin the tire, count the revolutions of the drivetrain. Depending on the Jeep it will either be one or two complete turns of the wheel, but you will see the drivetrain spin the number of times that is equal to your gearing (I.e. slightly over 4 spins would be 4:11s)

3. Depends on your engine, transmission, etc. but 4:88 would likely be a good ratio to go with.

Mikecal9985

1. View attachment 194253

2. Jack the Jeep up, take the E-brake off and put it in neutral, as you spin the tire, count the revolutions of the drivetrain. Depending on the Jeep it will either be one or two complete turns of the wheel, but you will see the drivetrain spin the number of times that is equal to your gearing (I.e. slightly over 4 spins would be 4:11s)

3. Depends on your engine, transmission, etc. but 4:88 would likely be a good ratio to go with.

Wow thank you for all this info. I have a 2011 2 door automatic and I believe a 3.6

Mikecal9985

Use this link if you want to find more out about your build:

http://www.jeep.com/webselfservice/...ountry=us&emailUrl=goToEmailForm%28%27R%27%29

Then click on the link on the left where it says 'Equipment Listing.' Then when the page refreshes, enter your VIN in the middle and click the button. It should tell you your axle type but won't give you your gear ratio. If you don't have a Rubicon, you most likely have a 30 up front and a 44 in the rear.

WJCO, thanks for the link, I'll have to take a look at it

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
WJCO, thanks for the link, I'll have to take a look at it

2011 sport = D30 front, D44 Rear, 3.8l

you want to run 35s, You going to want 4.88 Max for the D30 pinion, but 5.13 for the power; either save money for a 44, and swap to 5.13 at the same time, run 4.88 and deal with it, or RISK the 5.13 Pinion on your D30.

JKgearing38.jpg

Lmoye22

I'm running 35's on 5.13's. Had the stock gearing on my 09 till about a month ago. Huge difference! Glad I went with the 5.13s , many people said it was a bit much but not really. But with that vin lookup you can find what your jeep has. Mine was 44HD on the rear and 30 on the front. Needed a new carrier for the front.

Last edited:
Top Bottom