Shock Debate

SoCalDozer

So ive been thinking about which shocks to go with for when I do my lift and I am having a debate about which shocks to go with.
The options i have considered so far are
2.0 King Kit from ORE with internal reservoir 1400$
2.5 King kit from ORE with the external reservoir. 900$
Walker evans 2.0 with reservoir 800$
Fox 2.0 with reservoir 750$
or just 5100's 320$

Now I know King's are fantastic shocks and I am really considering just shelling out the extra cash and getting them first and not having to worry about upgrades but... are the 2.0 Kings with the internal reservoir actually going to out perform walker evans or Fox with a reservoir?
Or should I just say screw it and get the 2.5's to take care of all my shock problems.

Just so you know my driving habits. I DD it everyday to work on these lovely(NOT) san diego roads. I do trail rides a few times a month and I am out going through the desert on the weekends when I can make it out there on washed out roads and trails. I dont drive crazy but then again I really can't with my Factory setup. I would drive faster if I had a better set up. Trying to find what will help with this the most.

Zstairlessone

Well I like external reservoir shocks cause the reservoir doesn't pick up heat from the shock body and helps cool the oil.

Donny

Well I like external reservoir shocks cause the reservoir doesn't pick up heat from the shock body and helps cool the oil.

Don't you have to be working those things pretty well ( desert speeding to get them hot) for that to be a benefit? I think the 2.0's would be a good balance between the two. BUT the 5100 are used by many companies as a very nice upgrade from stock so they can't be terrible:brows:

Donny

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So ive been thinking about which shocks to go with for when I do my lift and I am having a debate about which shocks to go with.
The options i have considered so far are
2.0 King Kit from ORE with internal reservoir 1400$
2.5 King kit from ORE with the external reservoir. 900$
Walker evans 2.0 with reservoir 800$
Fox 2.0 with reservoir 750$
or just 5100's 320$

Now I know King's are fantastic shocks and I am really considering just shelling out the extra cash and getting them first and not having to worry about upgrades but... are the 2.0 Kings with the internal reservoir actually going to out perform walker evans or Fox with a reservoir?
Or should I just say screw it and get the 2.5's to take care of all my shock problems.

Just so you know my driving habits. I DD it everyday to work on these lovely(NOT) san diego roads. I do trail rides a few times a month and I am out going through the desert on the weekends when I can make it out there on washed out roads and trails. I dont drive crazy but then again I really can't with my Factory setup. I would drive faster if I had a better set up. Trying to find what will help with this the most.

I love Walker Evans wheels but, of the shocks you have listed, I probably wouldn't go with theirs. I've run in them in the past and wasn't too happy with them. It's hard to go wrong with King or really Fox for that matter but, for how it sounds like you'll be driving your Jeep, a reservoir shock may be a bit overkill. Now, if you drive on those washed out roads and trails hot and fast, they would benefit you. If you plan on staying on a factory setup, I would just get the 5100's and call it a day.

SoCalDozer

I love Walker Evans wheels but, of the shocks you have listed, I probably wouldn't go with theirs. I've run in them in the past and wasn't too happy with them. It's hard to go wrong with King or really Fox for that matter but, for how it sounds like you'll be driving your Jeep, a reservoir shock may be a bit overkill. Now, if you drive on those washed out roads and trails hot and fast, they would benefit you. If you plan on staying on a factory setup, I would just get the 5100's and call it a day.

Thanks for the info, I do plan on picking up the speed quite a bit once I get upgraded but im not going to be pre running or anything.
I dont plan on staying with the factory setup though. Have quite a bit planned out but its going to take awhile so I might just do the 5100's with the 2.5 lift until I upgrade the rest of the stuff I want.

Also what about air bumps? like the ones offered from ORE. would they actually be beneficial in helping get rid of the jarring hits that you take on the rough roads out in the desert?

Last edited:

deepwater

Sorry, this will only add to your confusion, but I am running 5100s on my 2 dr Rubicon with 37s MT2s and find them very harsh on choppy trails, (rocky) but soft on whoops. They rattle my teeth even when aired down to 15 psi.

Mine came with an earlier Superlift 4" lift kit (09) and may be valved differently than current ones from other suppliers.

I am really wanting something else. I want to ride in others JKs to feel how their shocks perform.

Mike

Last edited:

10frank9

Web Wheeler
I can tell you I've ridden and driven various JK's with different shocks and lifts, including bilsteins, fox and kings. Recently a friend and member of this forum let me drive his JK with the EVO bolt-on coilovers. Whoa I was sold! They rode better than any other coil or shock setup I've ridden in or driven.

I made up my mind then that was the setup for me. Perhaps I might recommend meeting with other Jeepers and doing the same. This may be the best way to make up your mind. It may also cause you some stress when you realize you've got more saving to do ;)

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I can tell you I've ridden and driven various JK's with different shocks and lifts, including bilsteins, fox and kings. Recently a friend and member of this forum let me drive his JK with the EVO bolt-on coilovers. Whoa I was sold! They rode better than any other coil or shock setup I've ridden in or driven.

I made up my mind then that was the setup for me. Perhaps I might recommend meeting with other Jeepers and doing the same. This may be the best way to make up your mind. It may also cause you some stress when you realize you've got more saving to do ;)

LOL!! I try to explain that all the time to people but really, you have to feel it to believe it. There just is no comparison when it comes to coil overs vs. standard coils and shocks especially off road.

SoCalDozer

Sorry, this will only add to your confusion, but I am running 5100s on my 2 dr Rubicon with 37s MT2s and find them very harsh on choppy trails, (rocky) but soft on whoops. They rattle my teeth even when aired down to 15 psi.

Mine came with an earlier Superlift 4" lift kit (09) and may be valved differently than current ones form other suppliers.

I am really wanting something else. I want to ride in others JKs to feel how their shocks perform.

Mike

This is my entire problem I was thinking. I know the 5100's are a bit stiffer especially on a 2dr since they are lighter. I know the girlfriend will be complaining about the rough ride lol. I might just save up more and do everything else I can without lifting it for now then do coilovers. Its a huge debate for me. I have the cash but I dont want to dip into savings for something like that.
besides I have a regear and locker to do (which would be more beneficial I believe) first when I return home.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I think it needs to be pointed out that your coils will provide a majority of your ride quality and your shocks will assist them by dampening sudden harder hits. So, if you feel that your ride in general is harsh but soft on things like whoops, your problem isn't your shocks but rather, in your stiff springs. Of all the coils I've run, TF were some of the stiffest and EVO plush ride coils were by far the softest.

biggy

I dont hear much love for ome long travel shocks much more. Not sure why that is. I will say my buddy had the exact same lift as me, a rk 3.5. He was running 5100's and I have the ome's. My ride seemed to be more refined for lack of a better word and less harsh. Ive been very happy with them for last two years.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I dont hear much love for ome long travel shocks much more. Not sure why that is. I will say my buddy had the exact same lift as me, a rk 3.5. He was running 5100's and I have the ome's. My ride seemed to be more refined for lack of a better word and less harsh. Ive been very happy with them for last two years.

Nothing wrong with OME, I've run them in the past and they're a good quality shock. Ride comfort is just 100% subjective and for me, I prefer a softer set of coils with a good monotube shocks. This is a ride that I prefer but, for others, it is not and that's just how the world goes round and round :yup:

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
As mentioned, even the best shocks can't make up for stiff coils. You really need to find coils and shocks that valved and built to work together

SoCalDozer

Well that is good to know, I was interested in the evo plush ride coils since they got the new 3" ones as well since an extra .5 inches isnt really a big deal and I have heard nothing but good things about plush rides. I am still having a debate about those the evo enforcer lift with 3" coils and king shocks that evo offers ( if they offer it with the 3" coils ) but for 2100 bucks im also well on my way to a set of coil overs.
so many choices to take into consideration.

JAGS

Hooked
Well that is good to know, I was interested in the evo plush ride coils since they got the new 3" ones as well since an extra .5 inches isnt really a big deal and I have heard nothing but good things about plush rides. I am still having a debate about those the evo enforcer lift with 3" coils and king shocks that evo offers ( if they offer it with the 3" coils ) but for 2100 bucks im also well on my way to a set of coil overs.
so many choices to take into consideration.

This is my quandary too. Every time I think I know what I want, I say to myself, for just $1500 more I can get this. And then once at $1500, I say, well, $500-$1000 on top of that I get this. Next thing you know, I'm swapping axles and doing the evo-lever with 40s and my build just hit 25K+:crazyeyes:

Atch

I currently have an OME lift (until tomorrow, coilovers going on!), no complaints at all. It rides smooth and doesn't beat the crap out of you. I'm just ready to go to the next level. I'm putting my lift on a fellow club members jk & I hope he loves it as much as I did!

Top Bottom