Moving to Colorado and have a few questions

sldrstoy

I'm on orders to Fort Carson and still have a few more things left that I'd like to do to my jeep before I head out there, but I'm having a hard time figuring out what's better. Currently my jeep (2010 Unlimited rubicon/auto) has 5.13:1 gears and fairly heavy 37x13.50r18 Toyo open country mt's on wheels that require wheel spacers to avoid rubbing. The tires are in good shape, but I'm not overly happy with the wheels, with that said, would there be any noticeable difference (driveability/power) in switching to a lighter 37x12.50r17 tire/wheel combo? I can only imagine the little 3.8 is going to have a fun time..... My original plan was to install a rubicrawler for the 2.72 low range option for exploring, realizing that I would probably never use the ultra low gear selection. The jeep is my dd and I'm not sure how far or what the commute to work will be like. I spend most of my free time out exploring, hunting, fishing and working on the jeep, not a die hard rock crawler yet (still working in the wife for that...) Im not looking for a peppy race car, just the ability to drive somewhere near the speed limit, without redlining the motor. Or am I missing something altogether more important than deciding between a lighter tire/wheel combo or adding a rubicrawler? ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1458776597.113183.jpg

I'm on orders to Fort Carson and still have a few more things left that I'd like to do to my jeep before I head out there, but I'm having a hard time figuring out what's better. Currently my jeep (2010 Unlimited rubicon/auto) has 5.13:1 gears and fairly heavy 37x13.50r18 Toyo open country mt's on wheels that require wheel spacers to avoid rubbing. The tires are in good shape, but I'm not overly happy with the wheels, with that said, would there be any noticeable difference (driveability/power) in switching to a lighter 37x12.50r17 tire/wheel combo? I can only imagine the little 3.8 is going to have a fun time..... My original plan was to install a rubicrawler for the 2.72 low range option for exploring, realizing that I would probably never use the ultra low gear selection. The jeep is my dd and I'm not sure how far or what the commute to work will be like. I spend most of my free time out exploring, hunting, fishing and working on the jeep, not a die hard rock crawler yet (still working in the wife for that...) Im not looking for a peppy race car, just the ability to drive somewhere near the speed limit, without redlining the motor. Or am I missing something altogether more important than deciding between a lighter tire/wheel combo or adding a rubicrawler? View attachment 194415

On my first JK I switched wheel and tire sizes like you did, just the opposite way. I didn't notice any difference in power with 4.88s and 35's. I have a manual but it is basically the same comparison due to gearing and transmission. When I lived in CO, I was able to get up the hills just fine. What was horrible was running 3.73's until I regeared.

boardsurfer

513 and 37s is about the best you could do. I can't imagine lighter wheels making much of a difference. The rubicrawler is only going to help in 4lo which you wouldn't be using on the road anyway.

sldrstoy

Yeah I figured the Rubicrawler would just make exploring non technical trails a little easier on the jeep. Really I'm just looking for an excuse to talk myself into a 17" rim so I can have the option of running beadlocks. I know they aren't any lighter than my current wheels, but a 12.5" wide tire would potentially be lighter.

CJW

I live in CO and run 37s with 4.88s. But that's while having the 3.6 motor. My set up does just fine out here and so will yours. With all the mountains and elevation changes while driving a little bit lighter tire won't make a difference. Having your jeep properly geared will. I think you're fine as is.

303DAILY

I say go for some new wheel if you want lol!!!! It's hard to shave weight in tires and wheels. You can spend a lot of money and only get a few pounds lighter. As for the beadlocks if you don't wheel much I'm not sure they would be worth it but I always like building for the future so you don't end up buying tons of wheels. So my vote for here in co, call trail jeeps and go LS lol

sldrstoy

I can always dream of getting the LS... Just not ready for that Pandora's box to be opened, 37's were bad enough and I know my Rubi 44 is just along for the ride as it is... But the LS would be awesome...

DELIVERANCE

Moving from where?

You'll be fine. Nothing to lose waiting till you get here and make a few runs before you decide if you want to change anything.

Down by Ft Carson you'll be close to Eagle Rock and Saran Wrap. Two really fun trails.

Thank you for your service!

5280Sapper

Technically coming from Korea, the jeep has been in storage down in Texas since I left FT Campbell

I retired out of Carson few years ago.. tons of fun places to go and your set up is fine for out here.. you'll notice some throttle lag from sea level to Colorado but won't be much.. what unit have you been assigned to?

sldrstoy

Wife and two kids and have only started the online portion of looking for a house. Still trying to figure out school districts for a 2nd grader and kindergartener.

5280Sapper

Wife and two kids and have only started the online portion of looking for a house. Still trying to figure out school districts for a 2nd grader and kindergartener.

District 20 is the desired one to be in.. closer to carson its a bit rough. I live in Peyton which is D49 not to bad and its quieter out here.. D20 is mostly north springs.

Colorado2003

I ran 37s, Spyderlock, 5:13s and a 3.8 manual on my last build. The limiting factor is going to be your engine going over the passes. I just moved on to my new build with the 3.6 and can't believe the difference. I'm running the same gearing and tire/wheel setup as my last and get around well now. Over all you will be good around this area with your set up. I live in Distric 12 Colorado Springs(Distric 12&20 are the best around for your kids). Congrats on the move! The trails around the area are just amazing!!

Top Bottom