Steering problems! HELP!!!

JeepPilot

So a few months ago while out wheeling my steering started acting up. Stock pump and box. It started getting stiff, like I had no power steering at all after braking, when the RPMs decreased. A few weeks later, steering blew. Power steering fluid everywhere. I ordered an AGR hydro assist kit. The bracket they sent for the pump wouldn't fit, no matter how much I tried to grind on it. So I put a stock pump in with the AGR box (temporarily). Now, the steering gets stiff again when I brake. What could cause this? I have to ship my jeep from Hawaii on Monday. Need to get a fix ASAP!

WJCO

Meme King
That really doesn't make sense. Check for anything that is mechanically binding is the only thing I can think of . Ball joints etc.

JeepPilot

Nothing is binding. Ball joints are good. Just replaced the tie rod and drag link too with Currie currectlynk.

JeepPilot

When I start it and just have it idling, it turns just fine. A little stiff at center, but not bad. It's only when I'm driving.

jeeeep

Hooked
sounds like your flow is too low. I had that issue with my PSC, steered ok at speed but would lose power when slowing or braking.

you may still have some air in the system, raise the front end and take the cap off the reservoir. without running it, turn the wheels lock to lock to help purge the air out.

then let it idle for 30 seconds and watch the reservoir flow, if you see bubbles you still have air or air getting in from a hose leak.

be sure to top it off then start it and see how low it drops, you want to keep adding fluid until it stays at a steady level. then continue with the sir removal process until no more air bubbles.

if it still does it, like I 1st mentioned, your pump may not be flowing fast enough to keep up with the AGR

JeepPilot

I bled the system. No bubbles. And now, it's basically stuck in bypass. Not working at all now. I think AGR sent me a defective box.

WJCO

Meme King
Bought a remanufactured pump from autozone. Going to see if that fixes it today.

I hope it fixes it. To me it sounds like a pump issue more than a brake issue. Just weird it keeps doing it. The only time I've seen the two systems cause the problem you're having is on a hydroboost system like on 1 ton trucks not with vacuum boosters. You do have a normal vacuum brake booster on this rig, right?

Ddays

Hooked
Can you check your specs and see what kind of flow does the AGR pump need in order to operate properly? Like Jeeeep said, sounds like your stock pump can't supply the required rate needed. Especially when rpms drop. You say its when you brake; maybe its more likely that when you take your foot off the gas to brake your RPM's drop? Just for shits & giggles, try not letting off the gas and braking with your left foot while driving in a straight line and see if it still gets stiff still.

jeeeep

Hooked
if you're loosing the ability to steer once you let off the gas/brake it's the flow rate dropping off from the stock pump. the AGR pump high flow is designed to keep the flow at low speeds.

you may be able to make the stock pump work with a larger pulley but it may fail again as the internals may not be designed for high flow.

you indicate the bracket will not fit? seems to me it would be easier to figure out how to make the bracket fit and use the AGR high flow pump then to spend money on stock pumps. I have no idea why the bracket won't fit but are you sure you have the bracket on the right way? not reversed? pics?

Did the kit include an external reservoir?

Make sure your hoses are connected properly and no leaks, if there's a leak anywhere air is also getting in. high pressure system will suck the air in where there's a leak.

Top Bottom