Wheeling With Propane

For those of you who camp when you go wheeling and wheel when you go camping; do you bring propane with you to power firepits, stoves, etc? If so, how are you carrying it with you?

I just bought a propane campfire (due to the restrictions at a lot of spots for firepits) and I am going to buy a propane tank today. I also don't want to turn my rig into a rolling disaster... So how do you guys do it?!

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
Umm, never thought about it. It's usually packed in a Rubbermaid tough box. It's been bouncing for years..

USMC Wrangler

I don't have any pictures, but took the Coleman stove and a 5 gal propane tank on a day trip. I used the cargo loops and small ratchet straps to secure the tank. I was mostly concerned about it becoming a projectile in a hard hit.

Haha, thanks guys. Just don't want to be "that guy" who accidentally sets his Jeep on fire due to ignorance. Isn't there some form of purge valve on top of these that need to be able to let fumes out? Also don't want to be the guy that kills himself and his wife from toxic fumes.

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
Haha, thanks guys. Just don't want to be "that guy" who accidentally sets his Jeep on fire due to ignorance. Isn't there some form of purge valve on top of these that need to be able to let fumes out? Also don't want to be the guy that kills himself and his wife from toxic fumes.

Small bottle will take a beating, I've never smelled fumes.

There's a twenty pound one on sale at Costco for a ridiculously low price. Is that way overkill? I'm going on a big camping trip and would rather not have to go into town to fill up....

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
There's a twenty pound one on sale at Costco for a ridiculously low price. Is that way overkill? I'm going on a big camping trip and would rather not have to go into town to fill up....

20lbs? :eek: That will last me a month and a half cooking on a big BBQ grill everyday. Way overkill.

20lbs? :eek: That will last me a month and a half cooking on a big BBQ grill everyday. Way overkill.

Damn. Haha. It was way less expensive than the smaller tanks I'm finding on Amazon. My main purpose for this is to power a campchef fire pit. I just have no idea how much propane that will use

Moochie

A 20 pound tank which is about 4.7 gallons of propane will last 2 - 3 nights of campfire heaven. Of course It all depends on how high you have the flames and how long it burns. I have a Campfire in a Can.

Tree Frog

I am much more worried about the gasoline in a big plastic tank hanging under my rig.

Dont know anything about fire pits powered by propane but I bring 2-3 of the small green things with us for the camp stove.
They ride in a Rubbermaid tote, strapped down with ratchet straps.

But for when shit gets real serious there is always this option.

CIMG7142__44253.1382118461.1280.1280.jpg

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I am much more worried about the gasoline in a big plastic tank hanging under my rig.

Dont know anything about fire pits powered by propane but I bring 2-3 of the small green things with us for the camp stove.
They ride in a Rubbermaid tote, strapped down with ratchet straps.

But for when shit gets real serious there is always this option.

View attachment 194618

I bet that doesn't make the hard top leak at all. Not to mention I'm sure the fiberglass top is plenty sturdy to hold the weight on a bouncing propane tank. :crazyeyes:

Tree Frog

Are you referring to that big piece of potato chip thickness plastic reinforced fiberglass on the top?

I like the roof racks that drill right through the top and then act like they can really take some weight.

I get worried using a hard top hoist on mine. :naw:

crowrb29

I'd just strap it down nice and tight in the back and check it periodically. I've wheeled with the smaller tanks on my rig for a few years and never really given it a second thought.

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug

It's a pressure valve and it is there to stop the bottle from exploding if the internal pressure gets way too high. It will pretty much only vent if you put the bottle in a fire

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug
I want to say I've seen someone use the Powertank brackets and mount their propane tank inside up on the rollbar. Just don't know if any modification is required, but you could probably fit a skinny 10lb bottle in there if it's similar dimensions.

108335-lg.jpg

Top Bottom