Why respond to the haters?

GraniteCrystal

Ok, this is something that's been formulating in my head for a while now, I sense it in other people on the forum, and I'd like to get feedback from the community.

Thus far, I've had a great time here. I've learned a ton, created my own build thread, and have become generally addicted to the app on my phone. I've found lots of good articles, information, build threads, how-tos, how-to-nots, and people generally sharing in the enjoyment of Jeeps.

But...at least once a week, often times more one of "those threads" comes along. Here is what I've generally observed to be the sequence of events:
1) Someone posts something stupid, hateful, inappropriate, and generally just looking to stir things up
2) A host of usually 5-15 people (and usually the same ones) jump in to shut it down
3) This goes on for a while. Sometimes the person even gets their own thread devoted to duking it out. I think they usually end up banned, but some weather it out and stick around

The results of this series of events are
1) Clutters up the feed on my phone of active threads (minor inconvenience)
2) Results in the person who said the stupid thing usually leaving. Not always a bad thing, but I've said some stupid stuff before too. I think a bit of understanding/forgiveness would go a long way and I have, on a few occasions, witnessed this on the forum
3) Gives a bad taste in a lot of people's mouths that aren't even part of it. We're the other X thousand members just standing in the corner waiting for it to end so we can get back to something productive. Some of us even leave because it rubs us so wrong. And it gets us a bad reputation in other Jeep communities

So, my question is honest and I really do want to understand:
Why respond in such force? It often times stoops to the same level as the original stupid comment. If someone says something stupid, it'd usually take one tactful, polite "Check yourself" from a moderator and the person would either (a) apologize and clarify or (b) respond with something else stupid and we can give them an infarction, which is a tool we have in our own forum rules. Is it really necessary to respond with a bunch of name calling telling the person to get out without asking for any clarification or giving a second chance? I think we make the problem far worse than it would be by a bunch of people commenting, calling person a douche/etc and telling him he can leave. They'd probably leave much sooner if they were just ignored.

I fully realize there is a lot of history to this forum and Eddie. I don't know any of that personally. I also have never run a forum and have only been on this one for about 6 months. So, please don't take this as an afront. Just trying to understand. Hoping for some thoughtful responses. I hate that I call this my Jeep community and I'm nervous posting this thread. I shouldn't be nervous in my own home.

Ddays

Hooked
IMO it's not people asking a "stupid question" rather it comes down to a respect issue. Once you've been here a while you start to see the pattern of the trolls that come on here to do nothing but stir up shit. They get pounded mercilessly and deservedly so. Then there are the guys that come here and try to be a badass. Similar to trolls & get treated the same way. Then there are the people that try to sell shit without anyone knowing who they are. If you read the rules you see why they are pounded. Some people seem to think that others need defending and talk a bunch of shit and then they get caught up & put in jail (Al Bundy).

Honestly, I think the mods here really handle the idiots and keep them off the site so that the rest of us enjoy it for what its supposed to be. Sure there are the chip selling, kitty bartering, meme pounding threads out there, but when it comes down to it, the idiots that get pounded deserve it.

Seriously, who doesn't giggle some when they see someone get "Overlanded", "Piginajeeped", "Sharkeyed" "MTG'd", "10Frank9'd" or dissected by Eddie? Really, find someone that didn't deserve it. This is not a place to wear your skirt on...

swampdog

Ok, this is something that's been formulating in my head for a while now, I sense it in other people on the forum, and I'd like to get feedback from the community.

Thus far, I've had a great time here. I've learned a ton, created my own build thread, and have become generally addicted to the app on my phone. I've found lots of good articles, information, build threads, how-tos, how-to-nots, and people generally sharing in the enjoyment of Jeeps.

But...at least once a week, often times more one of "those threads" comes along. Here is what I've generally observed to be the sequence of events:
1) Someone posts something stupid, hateful, inappropriate, and generally just looking to stir things up
2) A host of usually 5-15 people (and usually the same ones) jump in to shut it down
3) This goes on for a while. Sometimes the person even gets their own thread devoted to duking it out. I think they usually end up banned, but some weather it out and stick around

The results of this series of events are
1) Clutters up the feed on my phone of active threads (minor inconvenience)
2) Results in the person who said the stupid thing usually leaving. Not always a bad thing, but I've said some stupid stuff before too. I think a bit of understanding/forgiveness would go a long way and I have, on a few occasions, witnessed this on the forum
3) Gives a bad taste in a lot of people's mouths that aren't even part of it. We're the other X thousand members just standing in the corner waiting for it to end so we can get back to something productive. Some of us even leave because it rubs us so wrong. And it gets us a bad reputation in other Jeep communities

So, my question is honest and I really do want to understand:
Why respond in such force? It often times stoops to the same level as the original stupid comment. If someone says something stupid, it'd usually take one tactful, polite "Check yourself" from a moderator and the person would either (a) apologize and clarify or (b) respond with something else stupid and we can give them an infarction, which is a tool we have in our own forum rules. Is it really necessary to respond with a bunch of name calling telling the person to get out without asking for any clarification or giving a second chance? I think we make the problem far worse than it would be by a bunch of people commenting, calling person a douche/etc and telling him he can leave. They'd probably leave much sooner if they were just ignored.

I fully realize there is a lot of history to this forum and Eddie. I don't know any of that personally. I also have never run a forum and have only been on this one for about 6 months. So, please don't take this as an afront. Just trying to understand. Hoping for some thoughtful responses. I hate that I call this my Jeep community and I'm nervous posting this thread. I shouldn't be nervous in my own home.

I often share this sentiment. I appreciate the reasoning for the initial defensiveness by mods, but it quickly spirals downwards. But, on the contrary, the mods are a tight knit bunch of friends and in real life (not a forum), when confronted with the same type of assholes or outsiders popping off, my group of friends would react in the same way.

I just try to stay above the bullshit threads and ignore them, but obviously, the mods can't typically do that or the forum would be a major shit show. I kind of talked in a circle here, but the bad rep would be sweet to drop.

thardy

Banned
From what I have seen and heard from Eddie, as well as a few of the mods, they have tried just about every avenue for handling these type of situations. The current one is, in my opinion, the right way to handle it, at least when it comes from the mods and admin standpoint. Are there people that pile on when it's not needed? Absolutely, just about all of us have done it and for the most part, it's justified. The biggest difference between this forum and all the others, is that we're really more of a family than a forum. Someone starts shit with my "family", I'm going to defend it.

Those out there that dislike Wayalife, do so because they heard from someone that Eddie is (insert typical troll statement here) and that we're all sheep that blindly follow his every word. But they're the ones that take someone's opinion for fact instead of building their own opinion by trying to be a contributing member. But really, who gives a shit what those folks think!? :yup:

My suggestion would be to just ignore those type threads and move about your day.

WJCO

Meme King
While I don't often participate in those threads :cheesy: I do love reading and contributing to some of the sarcastic humor. That is one of the things I love about the members here, the humor. I've seen other forums that regulate things so much that people can't be real, they're walking on eggshells to play along. I think ddays nailed it with the pattern of trolls here. I also like that misinformation is quickly corrected here rather than ignored. I try not to flat out call someone an insulting name, but if they cross the line and turn it personal, that's a different story.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
There's a lot of butt hurt that goes on about misinformation. Like WJCO, I don't mind that getting quashed. There's a lot of "information" on, "another forum." There's more good information here.

aldaman

It's the Internet / forum.
1) Learn to accept constructive criticism
2) if the comments / replies are not what you want to hear, take it with a grain of salt and don't get butt hurt and move on.
3)you can't please everyone and not everyone will agree with you. Big deal
4)You don't always have to respond / reply back
5)lastly, just move onto the next thread and don't dwell on it.

:)

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
That's like telling people not to stop and look at a car accident. It's almost near impossible. Everyone's a rubbernecker.

So don't bitch about it then. It's the Internet, if you struggle at this, I can't imagine how hard your day to day life is.

Last edited:

Stick

Is it too hard to act like adults? I don't know what the average age is for the members here but I'm sure it's not in the teens. I understand when someone violates the rules they should be told but in my mind that means 2 or 3 responses at most not a hundred response thread. I understand the argument of just skip it but how long do you have to beat a dead horse? And changing the name of the thread is just down right childish, wouldn't it be just as easy to delete the thread than to keep the bashing going? I understand this is the Internet and there are trolls everywhere and I understand people defending Eddie but I'm guessing the original purpose of this forum was education and community. I could be wrong on that if so please forgive me.

JAGS

Hooked
And here some of you are complaining about the complaining. Is that any better. You realize this is the 8th slot. It's where all the bullshit resides. From bashing on pope pics to bashing on asshats.

The threads are separated because as it usually is the case, someone goes bat shit crazy in an otherwise valuable discussion. So threads are re-started in the 8th slot.

Mountainjk10

Caught the Bug
And here some of you are complaining about the complaining. Is that any better. You realize this is the 8th slot. It's where all the bullshit resides. From bashing on pope pics to bashing on asshats.

The threads are separated because as it usually is the case, someone goes bat shit crazy in an otherwise valuable discussion. So threads are re-started in the 8th slot.

Just for the record, I'm not complaining. I enjoy the train wreck threads. It makes for good toilet reading.

Moochie

Is it too hard to act like adults? I don't know what the average age is for the members here but I'm sure it's not in the teens. I understand when someone violates the rules they should be told but in my mind that means 2 or 3 responses at most not a hundred response thread. I understand the argument of just skip it but how long do you have to beat a dead horse? And changing the name of the thread is just down right childish, wouldn't it be just as easy to delete the thread than to keep the bashing going? I understand this is the Internet and there are trolls everywhere and I understand people defending Eddie but I'm guessing the original purpose of this forum was education and community. I could be wrong on that if so please forgive me.

Deleting threads doesn't work. We tried this back in the past and all it did was make things worse. People get very upset when their words are censored.

The best way to be not bothered is to just change the channel. Don't read them.

Stick

For people who use the app on their phones it defaults to what's new so this mess is always showing up. I don't view that section when I'm on my computer but I spend most of my time using the app. Most of the time I do skip those threads but it just amazes me how much bashing goes on. Silly me for hoping for a level of maturity in this place.

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
For people who use the app on their phones it defaults to what's new so this mess is always showing up. I don't view that section when I'm on my computer but I spend most of my time using the app. Most of the time I do skip those threads but it just amazes me how much bashing goes on. Silly me for hoping for a level of maturity in this place.

1458958629315.jpg

Top Bottom