Rubicon spring swap

4lowgo

Rubicon spring swap stock shock question

Hi everyone! I did a 4dr spring swap onto my 2 door. It worked perfectly. Got about 1 3/4 inch lift and the new springs and shocks dramatically changed my ride for the better.
I haven't yet taken any measurements for axle centre and wasn't all that concerned about caster because ride is good.
What I'm more concerned about is stock shock length.
I believe now that I'm "raised" the stock Rubicon shocks are always extended by that same small amount of lift. Which would subtract from available down travel if they are already "opened up" by maybe 1 3/4 more than stock ride.

Has anybody fitted shock extensions after doing this:
4 Door Rubicon 19 60 Swap onto 2 door sport 14/55
Red shocks swapped in aswell

All the reading I have done and the information I'm getting is that if I fitted 1.5 extensions I could get more droop out of the current set up I have. Right now it is for sure limited by the shocks. If I unbolt the shock of a level surface once it's relaxed its sitting maybe 2 inches max under where the bolt was.
Up travel would still be limited by bump stop and I don't believe doing this would bottom out the shock at max up. Let me know what you guys have found... I'm doing this all for the first time

Also. Fully plan on getting longer travel shocks eventually but I just picked up The springs and shocks for $185 they had 5000km on and can't justify having two sets of unused brand new shocks in the garage (both black and red)... I'll run the reds til they are shot and then go aftermarket length and ditch the extensions. Black shocks will go on my brothers tj once we get a chance

Last edited:

4lowgo

Any part recommendedation for front and rear? Has any one brand worked better than the other?
Shaft extension style looks a lot weaker to me than the bottom mount brackets available.

Top Bottom