What to do with stock parts?

RonG

I just installed the OME 2" lift on my 2015 JKU Sahara. It was a really satisfying project. It took about six hours, but that included searching for tools in the garage, walking to the neighbor's to borrow tools, and other BS time. It yielded about 3" on my totally stock JKU. I expect it will settle a 1/2 - 1" which will put it right where I wanted.

I got the lift for the handling improvement. I am not disappointed... it has a much better ride on the road, corners with minimal roll, and breaks hard with without significant dive. The washboard on unimproved roads has gone from a series of high frequency, jarring bumps to an occasional bumps with much less vibration. The potholes and ruts also "feel" better. I am really happy with my choice.

Now for my question...

What do people do with the old shocks and springs? I looked on Craig's List and eBay, but the prices don't seem to be worth the effort.

Napalm

Pass them on to other fellow friends and Jeepers. Keep them just incase you ever trade/sell your Jeep and you want to return it back to stock.

Welcome to Wayalife. :)

GraniteCrystal

Yeah, especially for a Sahara. There's a small market for stock Rubicon stuff but not other trims. I'd keep them if I had the room for backups for me or a friend.

Be sure and stop by the Give Us a Wave sub-forum and introduce yourself too. Welcome to WAL.

Ctimrun

Pictures or it didn't happen....... :D

The stock parts off my last two jk's (both rubicons) were donated to fellow jeepers. When I get around to lifting my new one I will most likely do the same if someone close by is interested.

DemCoconuts

Around here stock parts rarely move. You can't even give away bumpers.

I bought a set of 4 door Rubicon springs to put in my 2 door X for $20, with 10000km on them. The ones I took out I gave to my buddy to melt down in his forge.

Pretty much just pass them on.

joedelalinea

I just installed the same lift as you and was thinking about the same thigng lol
Im going to put them as freebies here and on craigslist

wcarlson40

I couldn't give mine away for free. But, I took them to a metal recycling place in town and actually got several hundred dollars cash for it, so I was happy

Samlautranger

Have had success on selling all stock parts on Craig's list. Just priced accordingly. I got $10 for the stock spare tire carrier. $1,200 for Rubicon wheels and tires. $100 for muffler. IIRC, got $75 for the Rubicon stock springs and shocks.

AvengedZombie

I've had thoughts of using the stock front and rear bumpers to make a bench of some kind to sit by the fire pit. Haven't had the gumption to actually figure it out and make it though. If I ever do, I'll post pics.

Labricon

Caught the Bug
Great idea for the stock bumpers......I will be doing a bumper upgrade in the next month.....this is now a definite possibility:beer::thankyou:

kbp810

Caught the Bug
If you look at the tag on the springs you will see some numbers; the last two numbers (just before the two letters) indicate the stiffness of the spring.

If its something like 15/16 (or higher) front and 59/60 rear, then those springs might benefit someone with a 2 door sport/Sahara with lighter springs. Otherwise, might as well just get rid of them or re-purpose them as suggested earlier.

Top Bottom