Big Bear, CA

rlew0083

Talk to me about Big Bear, CA for a summer vacation. We would be driving out from Alabama. We have lodging covered so we are wondering about the area. We have never been to CA so this would be a first time trip.

Is there a good trail selection to wheel? Good places to eat? Good Breweries? What all is there to do?

JKLIFE

What time of the year are you heading out there. Big Bear is a fun little city on top of a big mountain!

rlew0083

What time of the year are you heading out there. Big Bear is a fun little city on top of a big mountain!

Probably an August / September time frame. Leaning towards a week around Labor Day specifically. We would be staying at The Club At Big Bear.

dgriz

I was up there for the Big Bear Jeep Jamboree this past May. The area reminded me of a smaller version of Lake Tahoe. Lots of trails in the are so if you are interested in doing some wheeling, get in touch with the Inland Empire 4-wheel club who know the place better than anyone. As for breweries, I recommend the Big Bear Mountain Brewery.

Not sure when you'll be there but the Jamboree is Mothers Day weekend ant the Forest Fest event (put on by IE4WD Club) is Fathers Day weekend. I'm hoping to be there for the Forest Fest.

rlew0083

I was up there for the Big Bear Jeep Jamboree this past May. The area reminded me of a smaller version of Lake Tahoe. Lots of trails in the are so if you are interested in doing some wheeling, get in touch with the Inland Empire 4-wheel club who know the place better than anyone. As for breweries, I recommend the Big Bear Mountain Brewery.

Not sure when you'll be there but the Jamboree is Mothers Day weekend ant the Forest Fest event (put on by IE4WD Club) is Fathers Day weekend. I'm hoping to be there for the Forest Fest.

Does the snow melt that early so the trails can be run?

RedSyndrome

Big Bear

Big Bear has a lot of trails to run. From hard to easy. Lots of hiking too. The Pacific Crest Trail runs just to the North and East sides of the lake. There are several hiking trails that run up to it. There are some old mines and mills in the area too. If you like mountain biking, the ski resorts turn in to Mt. Bike resorts in the summer. There are a few breweries too. Most Snow is gone by the end of May. They also have Octoberfest in, ummm.... oh yeah, October. There is a lot to do there. Just to the north of Big Bear is an OHV park called Johnson Valley. Could be over 100 degrees that time of year. Lots of rock crawling there. The King of the Hammers is run out there. About 100 miles south is the Ocitillo Wells area with lots of trails and wheeling thee too. A little warm there too. Big Bear is at 7000', so much cooler to run the trails there. You could do some fishing while you were there too. Have fun.

Top Bottom