Ultra4 Rigs: Spidertrax axles? And why not Mud Grapplers?

iRonin

First, I know asking about Ultra4 isn't very JK Forum like, but to me it's related because I see a lot of products that do straddle JK and Ultra4 markets in the arena of Tires and Axles, so I'm coming at this from the angle of trying to understand what it is about that "next level" that brings about variances, or if it's just a "sponsor thing" wherein any number of products could work, the teams themselves just tend to run what pays?

I'll start with the seemingly easier one that to my mind also kind of applies to the JK market: Why is it that rigs are almost entirely fitted with Trail Grapplers and not Mud Grapplers if they go Nitto? In the consumer space, I get that they don't last as long, they're loud, etc.. but they perform amazingly on the trails, and for Ultra4 and other high end trailer-towed Jeeps, certainly noise and cost-effective longevity aren't concerns, so what is it? Compound too soft for high-horsepower light-ups @ koh? Poor high speed performance in the desert sections?

The second curiosity is Axle choice. I love my Dynatracs but you don't see them mentioned much in Ultra4 configs, and then you have Currie which is common across both, and then you have probably the most prominent one I *only* ever hear about in Ultra4, and that's Spidertrax - So all things considered equal as far as running D60 or D80 setups, what causes Spidertrax to be so common in those high end applications, given that their housings really aren't all that expensive at all to fill? Is it just the lack of out-of-box JK bracketing available from something like an Artec that makes them less consumer friendly?

Just curious!

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
First, I know asking about Ultra4 isn't very JK Forum like, but to me it's related because I see a lot of products that do straddle JK and Ultra4 markets in the arena of Tires and Axles, so I'm coming at this from the angle of trying to understand what it is about that "next level" that brings about variances, or if it's just a "sponsor thing" wherein any number of products could work, the teams themselves just tend to run what pays?

I'll start with the seemingly easier one that to my mind also kind of applies to the JK market: Why is it that rigs are almost entirely fitted with Trail Grapplers and not Mud Grapplers if they go Nitto? In the consumer space, I get that they don't last as long, they're loud, etc.. but they perform amazingly on the trails, and for Ultra4 and other high end trailer-towed Jeeps, certainly noise and cost-effective longevity aren't concerns, so what is it? Compound too soft for high-horsepower light-ups @ koh? Poor high speed performance in the desert sections?

The second curiosity is Axle choice. I love my Dynatracs but you don't see them mentioned much in Ultra4 configs, and then you have Currie which is common across both, and then you have probably the most prominent one I *only* ever hear about in Ultra4, and that's Spidertrax - So all things considered equal as far as running D60 or D80 setups, what causes Spidertrax to be so common in those high end applications, given that their housings really aren't all that expensive at all to fill? Is it just the lack of out-of-box JK bracketing available from something like an Artec that makes them less consumer friendly?

Just curious!

As far as the tires go, all those guys are running stickies (which mud grapplers aren't). Not to mention the mud grapplers suck in the rocks at 20psi which is what these guys run. Mud grapplers are also heavy! My 35's weigh the same if not more than my 37" trail grapplers. Also the mud grapplers are a hard compound not a soft compound. You would be amazed at how soft the sticky 40" trail grapplers are.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Spidertrax are builder axles and are designed to be light weight much like the rigs they're built for. Through it's design, it also provides good ground clearance and that's something you'd want in a place like the hammers. That being said, your JK isn't an Ultra 4 rig and even EVO 1 has gone through a weigh loss program to be more competitive but is still a pig by comparison. With a JK, a bigger and stronger ring and pinion is something you'd want.

Regarding Mud Grapplers, everything that OverlanderJK said is spot on but the one thing he didn't mention is that they do not perform well in loose terrain at high speeds. This is especially true in sharp curves as its tread is not designed to hold you on the course the way a more modern and race designed 40" K-Spec Trail Grappler can.

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
Why does currie dominate over dynatrac axles? Makes sense on the spidertrax being lighter weight for the buggys tho.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Why does currie dominate over dynatrac axles? Makes sense on the spidertrax being lighter weight for the buggys tho.

I couldn't tell you for sure but if I could guess, it's because Currie has a really long tradition of being involved in racing both on the drag strip and off road.

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
I couldn't tell you for sure but if I could guess, it's because Currie has a really long tradition of being involved in racing both on the drag strip and off road.

I'd agree, the company is built on racing. I'm sure they have a decent sponsorship program.

hinrichs

Caught the Bug

I'd agree, the company is built on racing. I'm sure they have a decent sponsorship program.

That was my thought but wasnt sure. Seems like for our side of things and wheeling they dont seem to hold up the best. I know I have seen a few housing breaks with them racing however.

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
That was my thought but wasnt sure. Seems like for our side of things and wheeling they dont seem to hold up the best. I know I have seen a few housing breaks with them racing however.

I doubt the guys racing on curries are using off the shelf parts.

NevadaZielmeister

Caught the Bug

hinrichs,

Have you seen a broken Dynatrac housing?

I have tried to find one via google fu and only found a post way back in 2002. I just wonder if there are so few broken Dynatrac housings because there are so few sold. I guess a lot more Currie axles are sold, leading to a lot more possibilities of a break? Just my guess.

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
hinrichs,

I have tried to find one via google fu and only found a post way back in 2002. I just wonder if there are so few broken Dynatrac housings because there are so few sold. I guess a lot more Currie axles are sold, leading to a lot more possibilities of a break? Just my guess.

Lol, you're shitting me right?

Dynatrac only builds axles. Do you think he can stay in business by selling a few axles?

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
hinrichs,

Lol! I hope your joking with this post

NevadaZielmeister

Caught the Bug
Lol, you're shitting me right?

Dynatrac only builds axles. Do you think he can stay in business by selling a few axles?

Ut oh, I used the wrong words in my last post. I meant Currie housings, not axles. Really I am not sure how many Dynatrac housings are sold and if they are super popular or not. I was basing this off the comment "Why does currie dominate over dynatrac axles?", that is all.

My apologies for possibly hijacking this thread.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
To clarify the point, the OP was asking why Currie dominates over Dynatrac "in Ultra4" racing - NOT everyday sales to people like you and me.

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
Ut oh, I used the wrong words in my last post. I meant Currie housings, not axles. Really I am not sure how many Dynatrac housings are sold and if they are super popular or not. I was basing this off the comment "Why does currie dominate over dynatrac axles?", that is all.

My apologies for possibly hijacking this thread.

Ok got it
[emoji106][emoji106], no worries

swampdog

View attachment 195274

Just a idea of how soft and sticky them k-spec tires are, this is Mel's after the KOH race.

FOR SALE - Lightly used Trail Grapplers. Only 1 day of trail use, plenty of life left. Local pickup only. Willing to trade for 1990's Three Wheelers or Metal Mulisha swag. Contact me at any 909 phone number or Hemet address, we're all kinda similar...

Top Bottom