When does oil consumption become an issue

JakeJK

So my jeep is burning about 1.5 quarts every 1000 miles now. And I'm beginning to think this might be a little excessive. What is there to do in this situation? Other than just constantly refilling it with more oil

ScoobyCarolanNC

I had a leaky oil pan gasket on my 2010. I never saw oil in the driveway or on my back doing other stuff, but sure enough I could see where it was leaking on the lift. If you've got a warranty let the dealer do it. It cost me $60 with the CPO deductible.

JakeJK

I had a leaky oil pan gasket on my 2010. I never saw oil in the driveway or on my back doing other stuff, but sure enough I could see where it was leaking on the lift. If you've got a warranty let the dealer do it. It cost me $60 with the CPO deductible.

Where could I check for this oil? I'm out of warranty but also never see oil in the driveway or anything

JakeJK

How's the compression?

That i don't know I also don't know how to check that. But I mean if it would affect the power any it dosent seem to have any lack of power it pushes 315/70r18 Toyos pretty easily

Drdiesel1

So my jeep is burning about 1.5 quarts every 1000 miles now. And I'm beginning to think this might be a little excessive. What is there to do in this situation? Other than just constantly refilling it with more oil

What year and how many miles ? 1 qt. per 1000 miles is the break point for repairs
based on the manufacturers consumption requirements. If the intake is leaking, it
can suck oil out and run it through the engine. I had this happen on my 94 Z28.

The intake gaskets allowed the intake runners to suck oil from the crankcase.

JakeJK

What year and how many miles ? 1 qt. per 1000 miles is the break point for repairs
based on the manufacturers consumption requirements. If the intake is leaking, it
can suck oil out and run it through the engine. I had this happen on my 94 Z28.

The intake gaskets allowed the intake runners to suck oil from the crankcase.

It's a 2010 with 61k miles this isn't good news for a college student [emoji20] I also get the oil changed every 3k miles

Drdiesel1

It's a 2010 with 61k miles this isn't good news for a college student [emoji20] I also get the oil changed every 3k miles

Are you checking the oil level after the oil change is done ? To properly check the level
you need to let the jeep sit for a few hours on level ground and pull the stick to verify
the level meets the requirement on the stick. Never checking it and hoping the oil change
joint is properly filling the engine isn't a good idea. Perform your own test and you might
check the PCV valve too. If it's stuck open, you could be consuming oil through it.

Check for blow-by too. After checking the PCV valve function, pop the oil fill cap with the engine
running and see if it's pushing crankcase pressure out of the fill neck. Otherwise, a compression
test and a leak-down test will be required to know what the actual fault is :eek:

JakeJK

Are you checking the oil level after the oil change is done ? To properly check the level
you need to let the jeep sit for a few hours on level ground and pull the stick to verify
the level meets the requirement on the stick. Never checking it and hoping the oil change
joint is properly filling the engine isn't a good idea. Perform your own test and you might
check the PCV valve too. If it's stuck open, you could be consuming oil through it.

Check for blow-by too. After checking the PCV valve function, pop the oil fill cap with the engine
running and see if it's pushing crankcase pressure out of the fill neck. Otherwise, a compression
test and a leak-down test will be required to know what the actual fault is :eek:

I check it every 1000 miles and it's always low. Granted I don't let it sit for hours maybe 45-an hour but it is on level ground it's always way below the safe zone

JakeJK

As I said........ Are you checking it right after they change it ?

No but next time I'll check because I'm going to be pissed if they're not using some of the oil I bring I always bring my synthetic and just have them change it for 12 bucks

WJCO

Meme King
For now keep checking it and a compression test may not be a bad idea for peace of mind. The manufacturer will just give you a bullshit 'allowable limit' so they don't have to deal with consumption problems. A lot of them say a quart per 1000 miles is normal, and recommend 5000 mile intervals. So when you get your oil changed on a 5 qt system, if your pan is empty, you're 'within spec.' For now keep an eye on the level so you don't do damage, which sounds like you're already doing that.

JakeJK

For now keep checking it and a compression test may not be a bad idea for peace of mind. The manufacturer will just give you a bullshit 'allowable limit' so they don't have to deal with consumption problems. A lot of them say a quart per 1000 miles is normal, and recommend 5000 mile intervals. So when you get your oil changed on a 5 qt system, if your pan is empty, you're 'within spec.' For now keep an eye on the level so you don't do damage, which sounds like you're already doing that.

Yeah last think I need is an engine rebuild/replacement because I fried my heads or something kind of annoying having to check so often but preventive maintenance is worth the effort

Drdiesel1

No but next time I'll check because I'm going to be pissed if they're not using some of the oil I bring I always bring my synthetic and just have them change it for 12 bucks

You can be whatever. Without proper knowledge, you'll be ass out for not checking the level after
it's been changed. You need to verify proper level EVERY TIME before you can say the engine is using oil.
Starting with an UNKNOWN quantity and claiming it's using oil is a fools game. It's your responsibility
to know what's being done and if it's being done properly. NEVER ASSUME they are setting the level to
the proper reading on the stick. That's not something you leave to anyone, even if you're paying for a service.

It's my bet you're taking it to a chain store for service. They have high school kids working on your car and most
have no clue what they're doing. Your vehicle is a learning platform and who knows what they could or could not
be filling the crankcase level to ???? Check for yourself and avoid the dumbshit wild goose chase. Know for sure
before you start wasting time and money for nothing......:doh:

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug

Ain't that the truth! I used to work for Mercedes and their spec was 1L/1000kms when most of the diesels had a 9L sump and the interval was 30,000 kms!

Top Bottom