Synthetic winch line questions

Fedfireman

So, This post will be in a time line format for ease of reading.

-I bought a winch with synthetic line
-The rope pulled out of the eyelet crimp for the drum bolt
-I ran the bolt through the end of the rope to re-secure
-Someone pulled all the line off my winch and it came loose
-Trying to reattach, the bolt was lost to the trail gods
-I threw a clove hitch around the drum and held the tail and running end of the rope in one hand to get a few wraps around the drum and was successful
-Someone AGAIN pulled all my winch line off and I guess with the dust of the trail and the smooth drum, I was not able to make the clove hitch work again
-I want to figure out a better permanent solution without going back to the bolt.

I was thinking I could throw an eye splice in my tail end and put a self cinching loop around the drum but I think that would be a PITA should someone pull all my winch line off again. I AM going to put a mark on the line and tell people to not pull past that however.

I have heard people tucking the tail under a couple wraps before but I'm not sure how they're getting those wraps to stick. I had a the drum spinning inside a full wrap of line the last time. I know I need to get the first wrap tight enough that it's able to tighten more as the wraps go on but I'm not sure how else to get it there.

Does anyone have a write up or video on how they wrap their lines? Any tricks to keep the drum from spinning inside the line? Anyone know of a reason my self cinching loop wouldn't work?

WJCO

Meme King
Use duct tape, seriously. I've seen it done and works. Once you get a row of wraps on the drum, that is your holding force. Where the rope attaches to drum via bolt, tape, whatever is NOT your holding force. The issue of people pulling out rope too far, that's another problem.

MattMc

Use duct tape, seriously. I've seen it done and works. Once you get a row of wraps on the drum, that is your holding force. Where the rope attaches to drum via bolt, tape, whatever is NOT your holding force. The issue of people pulling out rope too far, that's another problem.

I took a winching class at Uwharrie Off road training center, and this is how they said to do it. Not quite like in the pictures though. Lay it parallel with the center of the drum and tape the whole length of the drum. They actually said not to trust the bolt/ screw. Also never go below 7 wraps for syth line.

Top Bottom