Moab 1st timer ?????

toolock

my wife and i are driving out to vegas at the end of april and were gonna stop in moab to see the sites and wheel a little. what do i need to know, what are the things i cant miss and what can i expect as a pretty green jeeper? are there trails to take that wont give me or my wife a code brown?:blush:any help would be appreciated. thanks to all who have something to add.

toolock

I was thinking about making a Moab trip this summer also so I'll be following

well hopefully someone will give some info we can both use, im kinda at a loss at what to do in moab being green to the whole thing and only having a couple days to explore

toxicwaste29

^agreed. Being from the east I hear nothing other than what's online. I did however get a natgeo Moab map pack that shows all the trails roads. Looks pretty awesome

Speeddmn

Get the book by Charles Wells, it has a ton of photos and info. Remember most of the pictures/videos you see online are of the few hard obstacles on the trails. No one really videos the long boreing straight trails.

Most of the hard stuff has a bypass tight by it, so you dont have to do it unless you want.

What all is your jeep about? (I havent looked at your profile) If you are set up for camping/overlanding stuff, you might not fair to well in Poison Spider, on the flip side if you are full up on 60/80 rolling 40's, then you shouldnt stress it much.

Typically I would suggest you average 3 miles per hour on a trail. This will give you an idea that if the trail says 4 miles round trip, it should be 2 hours min, always konger with more people, slower ya go etc.

Tons of info on here, watch the videos. Enjoy it and take lots of pictures! I'm headed down in the morning for a couple days.

toolock

Get the book by Charles Wells, it has a ton of photos and info. Remember most of the pictures/videos you see online are of the few hard obstacles on the trails. No one really videos the long boreing straight trails.

Most of the hard stuff has a bypass tight by it, so you dont have to do it unless you want.

What all is your jeep about? (I havent looked at your profile) If you are set up for camping/overlanding stuff, you might not fair to well in Poison Spider, on the flip side if you are full up on 60/80 rolling 40's, then you shouldnt stress it much.

Typically I would suggest you average 3 miles per hour on a trail. This will give you an idea that if the trail says 4 miles round trip, it should be 2 hours min, always konger with more people, slower ya go etc.

Tons of info on here, watch the videos. Enjoy it and take lots of pictures! I'm headed down in the morning for a couple days.

well alot of stock rubi stuff 3" pro comp lift and duel steering stabilizer 35x 12.50 toyo RT's, body armor mid stubby front bumper, rancho rear bumper/tire carrier aftermarket rims. so not sure how to catagorize it but its pretty capable around here but nothing like where your at.

Journeyman

I would start with fins and things. The south side part of the trail is is only 2.4 mi before it intersects back with sand flats road (easy out) If your ok with that part 🤔 continue to north side.
Purchase the guide to Moab-Charles Wells!

DjVb

Cameo Cliffs, deadman point (super easy), 7 mile rim, fins and things. Agreed with Journeyman, get the new Moab book by Charles Wells. Great book!

JeepPeeps

We are going to MOAB for our 1st time on 4/14 for 5 days, we cant wait.
we are meeting friends there from a town called Ridgeway CO which is about 10 miles from Ouray.

Ddays

Hooked
I just got the Charles Wells book two days ago from Amazon. Do yourself a favor and buy it. The mileage log for each trail makes the book more than worth the price.

tucked

Just got back from a trip that took me through Moab for my first time. Picked up that very book from the visitor center. Did not know where we wanted to go and ended up on 7 Mile Rim Trail. Had a great time. It was slightly more difficult than what I wanted to do as a first timer (and by myself) but had no problems. Tippy Corner was a little intimidating, but once I was up on the rock it was a lot less intimidating that it appeared from below. Wife has already asked if we could go back later this year and spend more time there. :)

JeepJeep75

Just got back from a trip that took me through Moab for my first time. Picked up that very book from the visitor center. Did not know where we wanted to go and ended up on 7 Mile Rim Trail. Had a great time. It was slightly more difficult than what I wanted to do as a first timer (and by myself) but had no problems. Tippy Corner was a little intimidating, but once I was up on the rock it was a lot less intimidating that it appeared from below. Wife has already asked if we could go back later this year and spend more time there. :)

I love that HydroBlue color!! My second favorite next to Anvil! I caught a glimpse of your trailer. Is that a converted cargo trailer? I'm really digging those trailers. [emoji106][emoji106] Your jeep looks awesome too with the round LED lights.

tucked

I love that HydroBlue color!! My second favorite next to Anvil! I caught a glimpse of your trailer. Is that a converted cargo trailer? I'm really digging those trailers. [emoji106][emoji106] Your jeep looks awesome too with the round LED lights.

Thank you very much. Yes, I love the blue... is nearly the same color as my 78 Bronco I had many years ago. Trailer is a 5x10 Converted Cargo Trailer. (Still in the works but useable now).

It has a Queen memory foam mattress on an elevated platform, providing storage room underneath. I added the windows, access doors (1 is for a window mount AC to use when stationary), solar system and internal/external LED lights. So much more I want to do with it but very happy with how its coming along.

The way I have done everything so far enables me to remove everything in a matter of minutes from the interior... giving me a cargo trailer to use. Much more important to me than having a pop up tent trailer... where it could only be used for camping. I took the trailer up some trails (that I shouldn't have) and it did ok. I've seen one that was lifted with 33's on it... may have to go that route down the road. :)

JeepJeep75

Very cool!! I see one of these in my future. So many possibilities when building one of these. Solar, hot-water shower, AC, fold away bed, rear French doors, rear deck sitting area (ramp), sitting on 35's.... Sky's the limit on one of these. [emoji16]

tucked

Very cool!! I see one of these in my future. So many possibilities when building one of these. Solar, hot-water shower, AC, fold away bed, rear French doors, rear deck sitting area (ramp), sitting on 35's.... Sky's the limit on one of these. [emoji16]

Yes... yes it is! Sooooo many!

Top Bottom