Gasoline question

jkwebbie

So I stopped at my local Sheetz today and saw that they just got a few new gas pumps. Like all the other pumps it has 87, 91, and 93 octane gas. But it also had 2 new hands. One is what I'm guessing is E85 because it says "up to 15% ethanol" and then there was another handle with "flex fuel" which had like 51% ethanol in it. My question is, can my 2012 JK run off either of those fuels? I did a quick Google search and didn't find anything. I don't know the advantages or disadvantages to running those fuels either, I was just wondering. Anybody got the answer? :what:

Attachments

• 1459386353924.jpg
    1459386353924.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 112

WJCO

Meme King
I'm pretty confident that both fuels require different calibrations on the vehicle. E85 is suppose to be cheaper per gallon. I think flex fuel is related to propane if I remember right.

EDIT: I was wrong on flex fuel, not related to propane

Last edited:

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
So I stopped at my local Sheetz today and saw that they just got a few new gas pumps. Like all the other pumps it has 87, 91, and 93 octane gas. But it also had 2 new hands. One is what I'm guessing is E85 because it says "up to 15% ethanol" and then there was another handle with "flex fuel" which had like 51% ethanol in it. My question is, can my 2012 JK run off either of those fuels? I did a quick Google search and didn't find anything. I don't know the advantages or disadvantages to running those fuels either, I was just wondering. Anybody got the answer? :what:

No your jeep cannot run off of e85 or the flex fuel. It requires special fuel lines and a different tune to your ecu.

sipafz

Caught the Bug

Do not run Flex Fuel in you Jeep unless it has a Flex Fuel badge or says you can in your owners manual! I'm positive the your jeep is not setup for it. You could run the 15% ethanol, but you will be sorry as you will experience lack of power, performance & gas milage. I guarantee that one tank will convince you never to do it again. I wouldn't take it if they were giving it away for free, thats just me.

Tree Frog

At some point they Jeep must have been building Flex Fuel vehicles as there was a note about it in the owners manual.
If yours has a green gas cap from the factory then that is supposed to be one of them.

But like other have said it takes more ethanol to do the same amount of work as gasoline. It does burn cleaner but that would be the trade off.
Our gas here, as in a lot of the country already contains 10% ethanol. It suck's up water like crazy so keep your fuel fresh.

Also there is the whole food for fuel thing that has a lot of people saying that it is not worth it.
As they refine corn for fuel then it drives the price of corn up. In turn farmers have to pay more for the feed for the animals.
A while back there was a bunch of info that came out and said it actually uses more fuel to produce the gallon of ethanol.

WW_Svi

Ethanol runs about 25% less efficient than pure gasoline. However it does have a higher octane rating so that is why people with super or turbo charges tune with e85, they can boost more and get more power. Your ecu just needs to be programmed to account for the extra fuel needed. If you get 20mpg you would get about 15mpg with 100% ethanol. So mixing ethanol in gas actually hurts your mpg but does help make gas cheaper when a barrel of oil is higher, like over $50+ (not sure what the actual break price is)

el_chupo_

FWIW, what you are seeing is 51%, or flex fuel, E15 (15% ethanol), and standard gasoline, which can be up to 10% ethanol. E85 would be marked, and is 85% ethanaol, and would something like this:
sig_081313_e85_promo_0.jpg

Check your manual, most vehicles are designed for up to e10, but going higher may cause issues. I believe most new vehicles will have this in the manual, but if its not mentioned, I wouldnt use it without tuning the vehicle for it.

Top Bottom