Pre Made or Shop Made Exhaust

whytiptoe

So just curious on peoples thoughts on this. So you can buy a dynomax exhaust kit or a flowmaster exhaust kit, but what would be wrong with going to your local exhaust shop and using the same muffler that the kits use and having them build it. The local exhaust shops around here when I've done them in the past with some flowmasters on my truck and chrome tips cost me like 200 bucks. So what do you think?

WJCO

Meme King
So just curious on peoples thoughts on this. So you can buy a dynomax exhaust kit or a flowmaster exhaust kit, but what would be wrong with going to your local exhaust shop and using the same muffler that the kits use and having them build it. The local exhaust shops around here when I've done them in the past with some flowmasters on my truck and chrome tips cost me like 200 bucks. So what do you think?

I worked at a Midas. We did that all the time.

Zstairlessone

Make sure they flex the back end fully - left up right down, right up left down, both up and both down for clearance before you leave the shop

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Nothing wrong with doing that at all. Some people like a removable system so the bolt in aspect of those kits is nice. If you want something more permanent than having a shop do a custom kit is always good to

Benito

Caught the Bug
I just got this done, I bought the muffler and resonator from dynomax that they use on the quiet crawler kit and a local shop cut my Magnaflow kit and installed the dynomax cans in its place. $160 on new cans, $120 that the shop charged me for labor, he cut up the old Magnaflow kit I had and used the dump elbow from it and the pipe that connects to the stock y pipe.

Very common as @Benito said. If you need any help/guidance on PN's from us feel free to ask here or PM and I will provide those and other insights that I may have.
One thing to ask if the bends the muffler shop are doing are mandrel bends, these are "cleaner" bends (less wrinkles in the bends and helps keep the diameter true) that help the exhaust gases flow better.
Matt
:beer:

I just got this done, I bought the muffler and resonator from dynomax that they use on the quiet crawler kit and a local shop cut my Magnaflow kit and installed the dynomax cans in its place. $160 on new cans, $120 that the shop charged me for labor, he cut up the old Magnaflow kit I had and used the dump elbow from it and the pipe that connects to the stock y pipe.

Top Bottom