Is Windows 10 worth the upgrade?

Ddays

Hooked
So I'm sick and tired of the stupid Windows 10 upgrade popup that comes up every time I get on my laptop. I'm thinking I may upgrade just so this stupid thing goes away.'
I have an almost year old laptop with a touch screen so hardware & software-wise it'd be fine. Worth it?

catahoula

Caught the Bug
Kinda sorta. We had to go into settings and change something due to network connections being open for others. I can't fucking remember dammit! If I remember i will let you know you might want to google it. Sorry.

toxicwaste29

I have Windows 7 on my lenovo. I heard once about Windows 10 taking up quite a bit of room and slowing everything down. I however never looked into it so I couldn't say.

Hot94Z28

I like some of features, but on my screen on my desktop it won't go full screen, even though my screen can do 16:9 aspect ratio and is 1080p.

jesse3638

Hooked
I tried to upgrade but after my computer wouldn't even boot up. Had to start it in safe mode and 2 hours later got it uninstalled and the computer works fine with windows 7. I honestly would probably hate it because I am a creature of habit and the new layout would irritate me trying to figure out where things are. So it wasn't worth my time.

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
I have read about security issues with windows 10, It left a bad taste in my mouth and I haven't upgraded. I don't know if I will, until I know the facts

catahoula

Caught the Bug
I have read about security issues with windows 10, It left a bad taste in my mouth and I haven't upgraded. I don't know if I will, until I know the facts

Yes that is why we had to go into settings after installing. Something about system being able to share things with others. I know I might not be making sense, but it was something like that.

Ddays

Hooked
LOL! last line on the FAQ page on the Windows 10 upgrade site is "How do I turn off Windows 10 notification?"

Problem solved.

I'll do more digging before I upgrade. Sounds like mixed opinions.

sc_rhino

I've been hearing of people turning on their computers that upgraded to windows 10 without their consent so make sure you turn off auto updates.

jtpedersen

Caught the Bug
Greetings,
I'm currently running Win10 4 computers, personally. Zero issues whatsoever; couldn't have been smoother. At work, we've been widely deploying it for a while now. My corporate laptops have had Win10 for a while, latest is a touchscreen unit. Again, zero problems. If you like Win7, you'll like Win 10. It's like taking the best of 7 and 8.1, and putting them in one package. Best version of Windows they've done yet. Fundamentally, you'll want to eventually get there. MS is going the route of Apple...you need the initial license, but thereafter upgrades are free.

fmdualexhaust

I am NOT a computer guy. Installed Win 10 last Aug after my Brother-in-law (an IT guy) gave me the OK.
I'm pretty happy with everything except the mail program.
I did install with a list of things to turn off during the install to prevent MS from having too much info.

JeepFan

Hooked
I get asked the question "should I upgrade to Windows 10" frequently, and for the most part, my answer is absolutely. IMHO, it's M$'s greatest OS to date. However, if you chose to keep your current OS, that's fine too. Just keep this in mind.

Every Windows product has a lifecycle. The lifecycle begins when a product is released and ends when it's no longer supported. Knowing key dates in this lifecycle helps you make informed decisions about when to upgrade or make other changes to your software. Here are the most important Extended Support dates to remember depending on your current OS. After the extended support dates, there is no guarantee that M$ will provide security patches. Hopefully you will have upgraded or purchased a new computer by the Extended Support date. ;)

Windows 7: January 14, 2020
Windows 8.1: January 10, 2023
Windows 10 (released in July 2015): October 14, 2025

Hope this helps...

Oh and for others who want to disable the Windows Upgrade notifications, here's the M$ support link. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3080351

weller12

If you have windows 7, I'd keep it. If you have 8, I'd upgrade to 10. Just make sure you go into the security settings and turn off every tracking option you can find!

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
I upgraded a while back and lost a monitor ( I run 3 for CAD work ) mucked around for a while but couldn't get it sorted plus after I upgraded I started getting the 'windows is not genuine' pop up constantly and couldn't resolve it even though I have windows 7 pro OEM. So I went back to 7. It's a shame because 10 looked good.

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
So why is it "free"?

The last windows OS cost several hundred dollars, but 10 is free, and has "security features" to disable "TRACKING"? Maybe its my tin foil hat talking, but NOTHING is free. :grayno: I'll stick with the outdated windows that I paid for, and I'll pay for something else before I mess with something I got "for free" that has "Tracking" located in "security features" haha NOPE. Might be time to get rid of windows all together, and make the switch to IOS; or run a linux kernel...

Last edited:

Exodus 4x4

So why is it "free"?

The last windows OS cost several hundred dollars, but 10 is free, and has "security features" to disable "TRACKING"? Maybe its my tin foil hat talking, but NOTHING is free. :grayno: I'll stick with the outdated windows that I paid for, and I'll pay for something else before I mess with something I got "for free" that has "Tracking" located in "security features" haha NOPE. Might be time to get rid of windows all together, and make the switch to IOS; or run a linux kernel...

I got tired of all this shit and switched to a Mac 2 years ago and it was such a relief. I no longer had to deal with all the pop ups and everything was just so much easier to do. Unfortunately, the best thing about them is also the worst. Almost all of the software out there that we need for professional use is built for the pc. I had to buy another system that has Windows 10 last week for my new job and I hate, HATE the Windows os no matter what version it is.

Top Bottom