Jk steering don't want to go over board

303DAILY

I'm still running stock steering and 37s. I have the EVO drag link flip so the knuckle side is the EVO although Edie found at EJS that it is possible for that to break, I know most things can.
My question would be, should I upgrade drag link and tie rod? I was thinking of the rough stuff tie rod. Does anyone have experience or advice with this product?
Also any advise on drag link?
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1459657768.648447.jpg

Coop

Caught the Bug
I have no experience with Rough Stuff. Eddie had suggested looking at the Currie tie rod for maximum strength. I checked this out against many other brands because it was more expensive. After looking at the options, I bit the bullet and got the Currie tie Rod and track bar. These are massive and well made.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Keep the oem trackbar and drag link. They are pretty beefy. The Dynatrac DL break is prob due to massive abuse of it with the 39's.

As for tie rod I would just run your oem one till its so bent you can't adjust your toe anymore. When it is time I would suggest the Currie as it is prob the biggest one on the market.

Also flip your steering stabilizer to the top of your tie rod so you don't smash it

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Keep the oem trackbar and drag link. They are pretty beefy. The Dynatrac DL break is prob due to massive abuse of it with the 39's.

As for tie rod I would just run your oem one till its so bent you can't adjust your toe anymore. When it is time I would suggest the Currie as it is prob the biggest one on the market.

Also flip your steering stabilizer to the top of your tie rod so you don't smash it

Not only 39's but sticky 39's.

If you've never seen stickies in action they are pretty amazing. There isn't much that they can't climb.

Rottenbelly

I had the ruff stuff tie rod on my rig for about 2 years before I sold it.
It did a good job for Me. Had it pushed into some rock pretty good. Did bend it just a little bit. But I was able to adjust it to get my toe in right.
It just barely cleared the cover on my PR 44. And it needs at least 4.5 backspace wheels to clear the offset rod ends.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
As mentioned, Dynatrac broke a factory drag link but only after trying to steer the hell out of 39" stickies on what was essentially concrete obstacles. In other words, there was nothing typical about the conditions or the circumstances and really, they should have been running a ram assist. If they had, the factory drag link would have held up just fine.

That being said, upgrading a tie-rod is a good idea as you will hit it and bend it EVEN IF you were running a high steer setup. Of all the brands I have personally installed and tested, I have found the Currie to be the best but as you have seen, it is the most expensive. There are other new options out there that I have not tested and the Rough Stuff is one of them.

303DAILY

Thanks for all the feed back. Currie is the set up I wanted but damn, guess I will just wait a little longer and see how the stock one holds up. Then maybe I can get a few more nickels in the piggy bank for the nice tie rod.
Ram assist will be way down the road....

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for all the feed back. Currie is the set up I wanted but damn, guess I will just wait a little longer and see how the stock one holds up. Then maybe I can get a few more nickels in the piggy bank for the nice tie rod.
Ram assist will be way down the road....

Honestly, that's what I would do. In fact, it's what I did do and more than once. Heck, even if you do bend your tie-rod, you can always straighten it back out with a cheap harbor freight shop press. Trust me, I've done it many times :)

TDuff

I just picked up the Yeti Drag link and Tie rod from Steersmarts. 1 Ton ends and beefy as hell.

Check it out.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I just picked up the Yeti Drag link and Tie rod from Steersmarts. 1 Ton ends and beefy as hell.

Check it out.

Yeah, I checked them out at SEMA and what they had looked promising but then they signed up here under the user name "Compliant" and started pimping. One of our moderators politely explained to them how they needed to be an advertiser in order to do that. They responded by saying they would contact me but never did - instead, they just waited a while and then started pimping again. You can see what happened here:

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?34385-STEER-SMARTS-has-been-Removed-from-WAYALIFE-for-PIMPING

Needless to say, no thanks. I would never recommend someone buy something from a company that has no integrity.

BTW, welcome to WAYALIFE

WJCO

Meme King
Welcome to Wayalife!

Yeah, I checked them out at SEMA and what they had looked promising but then they signed up here under the user name "Compliant" and started pimping. One of our moderators politely explained to them how they needed to be an advertiser in order to do that. They responded by saying they would contact me but never did - instead, they just waited a while and then started pimping again. You can see what happened here:

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?34385-STEER-SMARTS-has-been-Removed-from-WAYALIFE-for-PIMPING

Needless to say, no thanks. I would never recommend someone buy something from a company that has no integrity.

BTW, welcome to WAYALIFE

Lol. I remember that guy. Nothing like a screen name "compliant" while breaking the rules.

Top Bottom