PSC ram assist

Guascone

when it is necessary to use the PSC ram assist?
Could you explain me how it is connected? Have it an additional pump or it is directly connected to the steer stock pump?

Thanks!

Ddays

Hooked
A ram assist is not just a stronger pump, its a complete new steering system. Consists of a higher volume pump, a revised steering box, the ram cylinder itself, and a larger fluid reservoir.
The ram is attached in the same place as your stock steering stabilizer, although the mounts for the cylinder are welded in place on the axle.

Helpful when you go to 37" and larger tires. In some cases the stock system can't generate enough force to turn the tires and the wheels simply won't turn. If you are up against rocks or a some kind of obstacle.,
the ram will actually move the whole vehicle with the front wheels.

As far as an installation, just Google PSC Steering system and tons of photos will come up. There's a lot of guys running this setup.

xflstl

If you have any diy skills you can save a ton of money by porting your own steering box, and getting some other parts piecemeal.... The all inclusive kits are insanely expensive.

Guascone

If you have any diy skills you can save a ton of money by porting your own steering box, and getting some other parts piecemeal.... The all inclusive kits are insanely expensive.

What does it means "porting"?
I'm sorry but I' m not able to translate it...[emoji22]

In any case, thanks!

xflstl

What does it means "porting"?
I'm sorry but I' m not able to translate it...[emoji22]

In any case, thanks!

You have to use a drill and tap (drill holes) in your steering box. That you attach hoses too... if you Google. Diy ram assist, you should turn up several threads you can read to put you on the correct path.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
You have to use a drill and tap (drill holes) in your steering box. That you attach hoses too... if you Google. Diy ram assist, you should turn up several threads you can read to put you on the correct path.

I think he just made it clear that a DIY ram assist is out of his league. Also, I think "insanely expensive" is a bit of an over statement especially being that with something like a PSC, you get a higher quality Delphi box instead of having to keep on using the China box that come on newer JK's. But hey, that's just me.

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
No fucking way would I ever tap my own steering. My life is more important than money.

I'd leave that one to the professional. Speaking from experience on a blown steering box on a sketchy trail..

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
when it is necessary to use the PSC ram assist?
Could you explain me how it is connected? Have it an additional pump or it is directly connected to the steer stock pump?

Thanks!

As mentioned, if you're running 37" tires or bigger, a ram assist like the kind that PSC makes will help out a lot. In addition to a new pump and larger reservoir being connected to your steering box, an additional hydraulic ram will be installed on your axle and attached to your tie-rod. It will help push and pull the tie-rod as you steer and this will make turning a lot easier and will help prevent the bending things like your drag link and can actually help prevent death wobble.

xflstl

I think he just made it clear that a DIY ram assist is out of his league. Also, I think "insanely expensive" is a bit of an over statement especially being that with something like a PSC, you get a higher quality Delphi box instead of having to keep on using the China box that come on newer JK's. But hey, that's just me.

I agree with the China box thing...Which is why I just ordered a refurbished Delphi. Also got lucky and picked up the ram on psc's scratch & dent sale... All I'm saying is 2k plus is alot for a steering setup, when you can do it for 1/2 the cost if you take a little time and do some of it yourself...

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
No fucking way would I ever tap my own steering. My life is more important than money.

I'd leave that one to the professional. Speaking from experience on a blown steering box on a sketchy trail..

:cheesy: At least you were on the safe side of the cliff!

Seriously, it's not as if I'm even a huge fan of the PSC but I've never seen a DIY ram setup that's been reliable. Maybe if all I ever did was play out in off road parks or trailer my rig everywhere I would consider it.

Guascone

As mentioned, if you're running 37" tires or bigger, a ram assist like the kind that PSC makes will help out a lot. In addition to a new pump and larger reservoir being connected to your steering box, an additional hydraulic ram will be installed on your axle and attached to your tie-rod. It will help push and pull the tie-rod as you steer and this will make turning a lot easier and will help prevent the bending things like your drag link and can actually help prevent death wobble.

A very clear picture!

Thanks a lot!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I agree with the China box thing...Which is why I just ordered a refurbished Delphi. Also got lucky and picked up the ram on psc's scratch & dent sale... All I'm saying is 2k plus is alot for a steering setup, when you can do it for 1/2 the cost if you take a little time and do some of it yourself...

I suppose it's all relative. Compared to the LS I have installed or the ProRock 60 front axle, ProRock 80 rear axle or Atlas transfer case, the ATX Chamber Pro II wheels, 40" Toyo MT's, etc, etc, $2k for a steering system doesn't seem like a whole lot to me.

xflstl

I suppose it's all relative. Compared to the LS I have installed or the ProRock 60 front axle, ProRock 80 rear axle or Atlas transfer case, the ATX Chamber Pro II wheels, 40" Toyo MT's, etc, etc, $2k for a steering system doesn't seem like a whole lot to me.

I have all those thing's as well or the equivalent. However if I can save 800.00 or more bucks by just a couple hours work then I certainly will. It's all personal choice, plus there are tons of folks who saving the 800.00 bucks means they can do it sooner rather than having to wait months saving up $.

xflstl

Not sure what your blown box was caused by, nor do I know any of the circumstances. However tapping a steering box isn't rocket science. I'm only a shade tree mechanic at best, and I generally pay professionals to work on my jeep. However there are no lives at risk by tapping your own steering box. Unless maybe you use duck tape and zip ties to mount it with.

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug
I have all those thing's as well or the equivalent. However if I can save 800.00 or more bucks by just a couple hours work then I certainly will. It's all personal choice, plus there are tons of folks who saving the 800.00 bucks means they can do it sooner rather than having to wait months saving up $.

You're right, it's personal choice, but you have to be real with yourself regarding your mechanical ability. That $800 is like an insurance policy that everything was done right. (Not saying you personally, just "you" in general)

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
Not sure what your blown box was caused by, nor do I know any of the circumstances. However tapping a steering box isn't rocket science. I'm only a shade tree mechanic at best, and I generally pay professionals to work on my jeep. However there are no lives at risk by tapping your own steering box. Unless maybe you use duck tape and zip ties to mount it with.

Cool, tap that box and save yourself $800.00

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I have all those thing's as well or the equivalent.

LOL!! Yeah, I know. In fact, I was going to point out all the stuff you had on YOUR Jeep that I thought was "insanely expensive" but thought that you might take it the wrong way. That's why I pointed out things on my Jeep.

However if I can save 800.00 or more bucks by just a couple hours work then I certainly will. It's all personal choice, plus there are tons of folks who saving the 800.00 bucks means they can do it sooner rather than having to wait months saving up $.

Kind of like how I saved upwards of $800 trimming my factory fenders instead of buying PSC tube fenders. Took a couple of hours of work but saving $800 for a ton of folks means they can forward that cash to other upgrades they might really need sooner rather than having to wait months to save up. Just putting things into perspective.

xflstl

You're right, it's personal choice, but you have to be real with yourself regarding your mechanical ability. That $800 is like an insurance policy that everything was done right. (Not saying you personally, just "you" in general)

True, you certainly could f*** it up and be out a steering box... Even if you do it right, the one drawback is there is no warranty.

Top Bottom