My JKUR Upgrades - what am I missing?

jmeredith

So I am putting together my list for the Off-Road shop to start working on... what am I missing?

Still haven't decided on a winch, bumpers, and other little things... but here is my big list so far...

EVO Long Arm (Extreme High Clearance)
EVO Bolt-on Coilovers (front)
Add King Bumpstops
EVO Bolt-on Coilovers (Rear)
EVO Tire Carrier with Rock Skins (will need welding and powder coat)
EVO ProTek Skid System
EVO C2 Axle Gussets
EVO JK Draglink Flip Kit

Dynatrac ProSteer Ball Joints (Both Sides)

JE Reel 1350 Driveshaft (front & rear)

ATX SLAB Wheels
NITTO 37” Trail Grabbers

A-pillar LED mount - (40139)
Dually D2 Driving (50131)
Dually D2 Wide (50111)
50’ Combo Lightbar (15031)
50’ Windshield Mount for JK -
Flush Mount for fender "area lighting" (still decided on model)
under carriage lighting (still undecided)

Thanks to Wayalife for the run down on Rubicat, it was my starting point as you can probably tell :)

-Jason

Last edited:

BrandonDetrick

What do you mean by "Evo leveler" ? Do you mean evo lever ? If so then you don't need the bolt on c/o on the rear ? Just tryin to Clarify ... Got confused

jmeredith

Thanks Brandon, I did mean Lever Kit :) fingers working faster than brain today!

So I was confused on what the Rubicat has on it as in the parts list:
http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?607-RubiCAT-Gettin-EVO-d-UP!!/page4&highlight=rubicat

I see "EVO MFG Extreme High Clearance Long Arm Upgrade Kit for EVOLever equipped JK's" so I made the assumption that the EVOLever was on the Rubicat... I tried to call Offroad Evolution for clarification but they are closed today, so I posted here to try and get some input :)

-Jason

BrandonDetrick

Oh no prob just tryin to make sure you don't order two rear suspensions lol.. The evo lever is a rear c/o system alone. And the bolt on c/o is a system of its own as well.

jmeredith

That's what I thought, so is the EVO long arm kit for EVOlever equipped JKs not really just for lever equipped JKs?

rtguy1

nice list. brandon has u back on track with the rear. its either the lever system or bolt on.

couple things i noticed on the list.... u say 1350 driveshaft, as in 1 only. with the money being invested i would rec doing both front and rear shafts. also, i rec some axle strengthening if u are gonna keep the stock rubi axles. i would do some evo c-gussets up front. this is what rubicat is rocking now...stock axle that has been gusseted. may want to consider a set of ball joints as well, synergy or dynatrac prosteers. the wheels and tires u are choosing are heavy and will tax the stock ball joints pretty quickly.

this should be another awesome evo rig!!!! cant wait to see it complete!:rock::eek:

BrandonDetrick

That's what I thought, so is the EVO long arm kit for EVOlever equipped JKs not really just for lever equipped JKs?

As far as I know the EVOlever is the only lever system around for a jk. . When I'm sayin only "lever" instead EVOlever I am only being lazy and not typing evo lol I'm speakin of the EVOlever by saying just lever.

jmeredith

Ok, I got it now :) great information! Oh man I can't wait to get this sucker out West to play with y'all on those beautiful trials!

rtguy1

yep...thats them. pricey but well worth it imo. synergy makes nice ones too for about half that price, but i dont think they are rebuildable. u could always wait til that go out to replace em, but doing them when u do the c-gussets makes better sense.

to reiterate what brandon said, the evo high clearance long arm kit can be used with evo lever, double throw down evo lever, or the bolt on coilover kit.

StrizzyChris

If you're having evo do the full install, then you might as well drop the bolt on coilovers and do the full deal and go for what moby has minus the bipass shocks. All that work, you might as well go big since ur already paying the labor. Wont be THAT much more. It wont be a mistake to upgrade ball joints, but I would save the coin for other mods until you actually need to replace them. They are often like breaks, and give u a little warning before they go out.

jmeredith

the evo high clearance long arm kit can be used with evo lever, double throw down evo lever, or the bolt on coilover kit.

That's what I wanted to hear! updated my list to reflect the changes... I think the ability to rebuild would be a "nice to have"

I didn't see the Synergy ball joints on quadratec is there a link available?

Also does anyone know how much space there is behind the front quarter panels, just in front of the doors.. I was going to cut out and flush mount some Rigid flush mount floods (http://www.rigidindustries.com/SRMFlushMountFlood-p/92211.htm) there... thought the flush mount would look slick!

-J

rtguy1

If you're having evo do the full install, then you might as well drop the bolt on coilovers and do the full deal and go for what moby has minus the bipass shocks. All that work, you might as well go big since ur already paying the labor. Wont be THAT much more. It wont be a mistake to upgrade ball joints, but I would save the coin for other mods until you actually need to replace them. They are often like breaks, and give u a little warning before they go out.

the weld on system up front and the lever in the back isn't much more for the parts, but the labor is much more involved. basically take the cost of the double throwdown system front and rear installed minus the cost of 4 bypass shocks. much better system though, no doubt about it. every upgrade is just a little bit more...before u know it your build is outta control. ask me how i know.:brows:

The Wandering Jeeper

Caught the Bug
1350 Driveshaft? Are you changing everything to accept them since 1310's are factory? Did I miss something here or did I have a brain fart?

I would also look at RCV axles too. Love mine.

StrizzyChris

the weld on system up front and the lever in the back isn't much more for the parts, but the labor is much more involved. basically take the cost of the double throwdown system front and rear installed minus the cost of 4 bypass shocks. much better system though, no doubt about it. every upgrade is just a little bit more...before u know it your build is outta control. ask me how i know.:brows:

No doubt the cost will be a little bit more. I wish I still had my estimates from a year ago...but when I contacted EVO, about the Bolt on vs the Extreme high clearance weld on, the difference in cost of labor was not too sgnificant

dchew

Caught the Bug
Jason,
This is very similar to what I am about to do with my 2013. I am very new at this so I may be in the weeds, but see if this helps clear up the options: If you are starting from scratch as I am (no existing lift) and you want to go with an EVO coilover kit, there are basically four options if you want a complete kit with no shortcuts:

First a choice of two coilover systems: 1) EVO Front and Rear Double Throwdown system OR 2) Bolt on coilover system front and rear (this is the basic difference between Moby and Rubicat).

Second a choice of two lift systems: A) Extreme High Clearance Upgrade, which is a weld-on kit OR B) DoubleD JK Bolt On Long Arm kit which is bolt on. Both of these kits come with all 8 arms. As StrizzyChris pointed out, there is little or no difference between the cost of A vs. B, at least for the parts. 1 vs. 2 is a big difference. Actually as long as you have access to a good welder, the weld on might not be any more labor.

I went with 2A, which is what it sounds like you are going with. That is basically RubiCat, although Eddie was the first one, and I think they have made some changes to the kit since to make it an easier and more universal install.

There are other things you need like driveshafts and the flip kit, but those are on your list and have already been discussed.

Dave

Last edited:

StrizzyChris

First a choice of two coilover systems: 1) EVO Front and Rear Double Throwdown system OR 2) Bolt on coilover system front and rear (this is the basic difference between Moby and Rubicat).

there is one different choice that can be made though and i will call it 1.1 vs 1.2
1.1)Front welded on towers and coilover(long travel system), with rear evo lever and coilover. For rock crawling at lower speads
1.2)Front and rear double throw down which is their coilovers and bipass shock system front and rear for high dessert speed AND crawling

Edit:
Second a choice of two lift systems: A) Extreme High Clearance Upgrade, which is a weld-on kit OR B) DoubleD JK Bolt On Long Arm kit which is bolt on. Both of these kits come with all 8 arms.

If you call evo they will be able to place the order for you, as I dont think(at least used to not) have just the bolt on long arm upgrade option on their website. But if you order the doubleD Long arm kit you will get a full suspension with coils and all. You only need the brackets and arms.

Last edited:

dchew

Caught the Bug
That is correct. The weld on upgrade kit can be ordered right off the website but not the bolt on. A phone call to EVO is highly recommended if for nothing else than a piece of mind when spending this much and there being several options. :)

Dave

Top Bottom