Military take off tires

mrfacundo01

I'm looking to size up from 33" to 37" tires and am looking at military Goodyear Hummer tires. I have searched the Web about found the lovers and haters but not a real review telling the good bad and the ugly about these tires. If you have any information that is just truthful and neutral information I would appreciate it.
I have time to make a decision since I put 40k miles on my jeep since 94, so most of the miles are mostly non pavement. Trying to get information on radial and bias ply experience.
My bfg mud terrains have 25 percent left and over 30th miles. Again, southern California desert, mud (when there's mud), and mountains which is what I attribute the mileage to. Maybe 20 percent on Highway miles going to and from off highway, hunting and fishing sites.

Anyways, thank you in advance for any educational information.

Regards.

catahoula

Caught the Bug
I'm looking to size up from 33" to 37" tires and am looking at military Goodyear Hummer tires. I have searched the Web about found the lovers and haters but not a real review telling the good bad and the ugly about these tires. If you have any information that is just truthful and neutral information I would appreciate it.
I have time to make a decision since I put 40k miles on my jeep since 94, so most of the miles are mostly non pavement. Trying to get information on radial and bias ply experience.
My bfg mud terrains have 25 percent left and over 30th miles. Again, southern California desert, mud (when there's mud), and mountains which is what I attribute the mileage to. Maybe 20 percent on Highway miles going to and from off highway, hunting and fishing sites.

Anyways, thank you in advance for any educational information.

Regards.

I can't remember the site, but All American Infidel was looking into those at onetime. They seemed like a good deal except for the wheel size.

mrfacundo01

I'm on a 15 wheel and really don't want to change buy I'm upgrading axles and I think the brake rotors will be too large to accept the wheels so I'm kinda at the cross roads anyways.

Speeddmn

Typically they are heavy heavy tires, and a 16.5 inch wheels. Not the most common and hard to find in a 5 lug pattern, hope that helps.

mrfacundo01

I figured I'd go with the military bead lockers and have axles make to match bolt pattern. Not worried about the weight as the upside to the weight is lower center of gravity. Yj is pretty light. With gears in the 5.xx axles shouldn't be a problem getting them going.

metalic

They're 8on6.5 with 7" backspace so you need to recenter of run a ton of spacers/adapters. The advantage is you get a double beadlocks wheel. On to the tires. I had a friend with them and they didn't seem to like holding onto rocks when wet.

toxicwaste29

All I've ever seen are tires for a 16.5 wheel. By the time you get the wheels and tires and custom made axles you'd be better of doing something else

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
We've got a couple of vehicles at work running the 335/80r20 Goodyear G275s and they're very quiet on road but not great off-road but that's on a 2200lb truck.

Which military tyre were you looking at? The wrangler m/tr Kevlar looks pretty interesting and fits a 17" wheel

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1459978137.050274.jpg

I've looked at these before and thought about running them. I'm debating about getting a set for my suburban.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1459978185.488304.jpg

I have heard they do really good if you cut them like this.

Other than that I've heard they are ok. They supposedly wear quite well. They are a heavy tire though supposedly.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1459978264.945972.jpg

The old ones like this are supposedly not very good.

Trail worthy fab sells rims and tires and can do custom stuff. I've looked at them several times for some 37s for my burban. I have no clue how they are as a company though.

Edit: these were just pics I got off the internet, not mine.

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
I think my buddy has those tires on his work truck that he tows with, never really asked about how they perform tho or really took notice of the size.

I was looking at going this route with the proper re-centered wheels but didnt want to go with a 16.5" wheel so I went 17s and have too many options.

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
I've thought about them for the simple fact that you can get custom double bead lock rims in any bolt pattern needed and a set of tires for about $2k.

There's a place close to me that sells the tires for $175 a piece that they claim are 80-90% tread.

I still would almost love to get a set for my Burban but for the jeep, I just don't know.

Eezybreezy08

I've got plenty of personal experience with the military hummer Goodyear tires both in the desert and on pavement. I would personally go another direction. I've seen them where pretty quick. Now I don't know if it happened cause it was so fucking hot where I was at, the miles that we put on, didn't keep count, sorry, or if it was the weight of our vehicle and the load that we was carrying. And we would be changing them out well before our 7 months would end. So that's just my opinion, other people might like them.

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
I've got plenty of personal experience with the military hummer Goodyear tires both in the desert and on pavement. I would personally go another direction. I've seen them where pretty quick. Now I don't know if it happened cause it was so fucking hot where I was at, the miles that we put on, didn't keep count, sorry, or if it was the weight of our vehicle and the load that we was carrying. And we would be changing them out well before our 7 months would end. So that's just my opinion, other people might like them.

Interesting. I've always heard they wear quite well. But yeah, it may have been due to other conditions also. Maybe not.

Thanks for the input.

Desert Crawler

I have them on a military (M1101) trailer I bought and they work good for that. There is a place in/around Sacramento that can usually be found on Craigslist that sells them fairly cheap.

mrfacundo01

Thanks for all the input. Still on the fence and doing more research. My tires usually weather Crack before the treads gone and last me well over 10 years because the Jeep is used primarily for dirt and not a daily driver.
But I still don't want to drop the ridiculous 500 + per tire asking price. 2500 for tires on the low side.......plus wheels........dang! Almost as much as finding a older stock jeep.

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
I have quite a bit of experience with all of the above mentioned tires. The BFG Bajas are a great tire, wear well, are quiet on the pavement, decent on wet pavement, and very good Offroad. The Goodyear MTR (military, not the new Kevlar commercial tires) are also good Offroad and pretty decent in pavement, but do wear quicker than the BFGs. The Goodyear MT is a tire I would personally stay away from. Speaking from an off roading standpoint in some extreme austere environments, these have displayed the least desirable performance. Keep in mind, all of my experience with these tires have NOT been on a Jeep platform. With that said, some things to think about. Balancing these is not an easy feat. I do not know if tire shops will do it, but at work we do not balance the tires. We rotate them in the double beadlock until we get the least amount of shimmy. Load rating on these tires.. They are mostly E rated and hardly bulge under a 13,500 pound combat loaded M1151. Not sure how they would ride on a lighter Jeep, as I have never used E rated tires on any of my Jeeps. Wheel availability... The only 2 reputable places I know that will make re-centered HMMWV wheels or custom 16.5" wheels are Trailworthy Fab or Stazworks. Not sure if that matters to anyone, but if a new wheel is needed you will have to order it, as you cannot just hit up your local Discount Tire and pick one up. For whoever mentioned custom siping the BFGs like in the pic, it helps them to flex better around the rocks and generally gives better traction. If I were going that route, I would personally go with the BFG Baja with the siping. Best all around tire I have used out of the bunch being discussed. As far as performance on a Wrangler, I'll leave that to those who have actually used them on a Wrangler, as I have not. At the prices you could get them for, it is very tempting and I have even reconsidered them for my new BOHICA build, as I think the military look may go well with the color. In the end, to me the benefits would be the price and (for me) a seemingly endless supply of surplus 37s. The negatives would be tire availability in a pinch( say several flats while in Moab or something) and possibly the road friendliness of a heavy double beadlock/ E rated heavy 37 and the balancing thing. That is probably the main thing I would be concerned with, as I could not live everyday with some of the manners the vehicles we use them on display on the road. Just some stuff to think about Wayalifers.

Last edited:

mrfacundo01

Thanks for your input infidel. I think I'll look into the BFG Baja tires. Since BFG is owned by Michelin, you know they are reputable. And you are right, the price for 37 inch tires was pretty enticing.

Thanks again.

Top Bottom