2011 and 2013 Jeeps that need lifts and tires

So my sister has a 2011 JKU and I have a 2013 JKUR. Although I am considered to most a noob on Jeeps I know a little more than my sister and my dad. My dad comes into this because he is the one to be helping a little with the cost but also the Jeeps are under his name so he wants a say in it. My sisters Jeep will be used for daily driving and maybe going on small trails. My Jeep will also be used for daily driving but I want to make it a little more capable so if I want to go on harder trails, I can. Another detail is that my dad wants to pay for a shop to do it all because he doesn't have the faith in either of us to put the lifts on ourselves. Does anyone know of any shops in the Des Moines, Iowa area/ surrounding areas??

I was thinking just the Evo leveling kit for my sisters, 33" - 35" Nitto Trail Grapplers, and then maybe AEV pintler rims.

For my Jeep, I was thinking the 3" Evo Enforcer, 35" Nitto Trail Grapplers, and then I have no idea with what rims I want.

So basically I just want some recommendations and your thoughts on this. And along with this, what all do I need to buy with these set ups.

Speeddmn

For the 2011, since it still has the weak 3.8 and hopefully 3.73 gears, your best bet and cheapest would be a set of 295/70/17's roughly a 34 inch tire. Evo leveling kit and trim the fenders.

For the 2013, depending on the gears (4.10's?) and with the 3.6. With 35's and a 3" inch it will look wonky, get the lift, trim the fenders and run 37's. At that point then you can decide if you want to regear that one as well.

As for shops in your area, sorry I aint got a clue. How far is Denver? Trail jeeps is in Golden, CO and they are pretty legit folks, least the grapevine says so.

For the 2011, since it still has the weak 3.8 and hopefully 3.73 gears, your best bet and cheapest would be a set of 295/70/17's roughly a 34 inch tire. Evo leveling kit and trim the fenders.

For the 2013, depending on the gears (4.10's?) and with the 3.6. With 35's and a 3" inch it will look wonky, get the lift, trim the fenders and run 37's. At that point then you can decide if you want to regear that one as well.

As for shops in your area, sorry I aint got a clue. How far is Denver? Trail jeeps is in Golden, CO and they are pretty legit folks, least the grapevine says so.

So how hard is it going to be to regear? Also, how does regearing affect driving on road and off road?

Thanks

WJCO

Meme King
So how hard is it going to be to regear?

Thanks

Just by your question, have someone do it. It's about 1000-1500 bucks depending on the shop. It requires specialty tools and experience in that area.

Also, how does regearing affect driving on road and off road?

Thanks

Re-gearing will help when crawling, however, it's mainly to regain the power you will lose when you go to bigger tires.

Just by your question, have someone do it. It's about 1000-1500 bucks depending on the shop. It requires specialty tools and experience in that area.

Re-gearing will help when crawling, however, it's mainly to regain the power you will lose when you go to bigger tires.

Hahaha okay I will probably just go with a 2.5" lift then and 35s... Any quality 2.5" lifts such as an evo that a lot of people run?

mcgyvr

You really need to find out what gears they both have before doing anything if you won't be regearing..
and if trimming your fenders is something you also plan to do..
But.. Big tires + tall gearing = the suck to drive

Coop

Caught the Bug
You really need to find out what gears they both have before doing anything if you won't be regearing..
and if trimming your fenders is something you also plan to do..
But.. Big tires + tall gearing = the suck to drive

I agree it would be a good idea to determine what gearing you have. But I guess it's a personal thing as far as driving with large tires and taller gearing. I enjoy the heck out of driving mine! I have 37s and 4.88s.

mcgyvr

I agree it would be a good idea to determine what gearing you have. But I guess it's a personal thing as far as driving with large tires and taller gearing. I enjoy the heck out of driving mine! I have 37s and 4.88s.

4.88 is "short" gearing..
3.21 is "tall" gearing..
or 4.88 is shorter than 3.21
37s/4.88s on a 3.6L is fine..
Try 33s on 3.21 = the suck but I didn't want to pay/wait for the 3.73 upgrade from the dealer when I knew I'd upgrade further in the future..

Last edited:

Coop

Caught the Bug
4.88 is "short" gearing..
3.21 is "tall" gearing..
or 4.88 is shorter than 3.21
37s/4.88s on a 3.6L is fine..
Try 33s on 3.21 = the suck but I didn't want to pay/wait for the 3.73 upgrade from the dealer when I knew I'd upgrade further in the future..

Right! Brain fade! Getting old = suck!

How do I determine what gearing I have? anyone? Please? I mean it should be the same for all stock 2011 Sports and 2013 JKUR's right?

Evil

They are all different. axles should have a tag on them or you can look at the sticker in the door jamb, it will list the ratio.

WJCO

Meme King
How do I determine what gearing I have? anyone? Please? I mean it should be the same for all stock 2011 Sports and 2013 JKUR's right?

You can Jack it up to and turn the wheel and count the driveshaft revolutions. I should know this but can't remember the exact procedure, lol. I think if the driveshaft spins 4 times for each tire revolution, you probably have 4.10 etc. Someone here will know what I'm talking about or you can Google it.

Speeddmn

You can Jack it up to and turn the wheel and count the driveshaft revolutions. I should know this but can't remember the exact procedure, lol. I think if the driveshaft spins 4 times for each tire revolution, you probably have 4.10 etc. Someone here will know what I'm talking about or you can Google it.

Yes, take chalk and make a mark on the drive shaft and one on the tire. If your tire moves one revolution and your drive shaft moves 3 and 3/4 times you have 3.73 gears. If it moves just a tad over 4 then you have 4.10's.

Or look atwindow sticker if you have them, door jam might, havent looked at mine.

Top Bottom