Track bar advice...

DoubleTrouble

After dealing with DW off and on lately I had the tires balanced last weekend. That took the light shake out of the steering and lessened the occurrence of the dreaded DW. Tonight I figured would be an excellent opportunity to investigate beings the job we are working on at work got cancelled for tonight. That means I have to stay up all night to work tomorrow night. So I woke up the jk and pulled her out of her weekly resting place to pull in the jku when the wife got home. While my daughter and myself were under the front and wifey moved the steering i noticed the axle side of the track bar had play. BINGO!!! After removing and inspecting bolt holes and joints I replaced and torqued to 125ft/lbs. Heather shook steering again and the play is in the joint. The track bar is an adjustable mopar/superlift and only has 15k to 18k miles on it :( This kit was on the jeep when I purchased and would not be my pick. My question is, which ones to look at and which to stay away from?

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
After dealing with DW off and on lately I had the tires balanced last weekend. That took the light shake out of the steering and lessened the occurrence of the dreaded DW. Tonight I figured would be an excellent opportunity to investigate beings the job we are working on at work got cancelled for tonight. That means I have to stay up all night to work tomorrow night. So I woke up the jk and pulled her out of her weekly resting place to pull in the jku when the wife got home. While my daughter and myself were under the front and wifey moved the steering i noticed the axle side of the track bar had play. BINGO!!! After removing and inspecting bolt holes and joints I replaced and torqued to 125ft/lbs. Heather shook steering again and the play is in the joint. The track bar is an adjustable mopar/superlift and only has 15k to 18k miles on it :( This kit was on the jeep when I purchased and would not be my pick. My question is, which ones to look at and which to stay away from?

When you took the bolt out did you notice if the bolt hole was wallowed out from the trackbar being loose?

DoubleTrouble

It's not wallered the slop is in the joint. Used the impact to take it off and it was tight. Took a mic and compared with frame mount.

WJCO

Meme King
It's not wallered the slop is in the joint. Used the impact to take it off and it was tight. Took a mic and compared with frame mount.

Post a video of the movement if you can. Mine was actually a seized/rusty bolt that wasn't fully torquing, but felt like it was. It would loosen up every few days.

DoubleTrouble

I'll see if I can get that. The bolts were all clean. This rig only has 30k miles on it and was not a dd till a few weeks ago.

zimm

Caught the Bug
I have a rock krawler front. solid piece of steel which is nice, but the ends are only adjustable if you drop out the bolt, undo the jam nut, and work on the threaded end. PITA. My rear bar is a teraflex forged. It's threaded with a collar just like the stock steering tie rod. Loosen two bolts, rotate sleeve by hand and center axle. Easy as it gets. Not sure how it'll hold up in the long term, but supposedly superior to stock.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Honestly if it really is the bushing I would just replace it especially if it's still the oem trackbar.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Honestly if it really is the bushing I would just replace it especially if it's still the oem trackbar.

I think he said it was an adjustable Superlift track bar. Of course, if it were me, I'd just reinstall an OE track bar.

Ctimrun

I had Currie track bars with almost 80k miles and with regular joint maintenance they were still as solid as new. I will be using another set of Currie track bars when the time comes. I have also had friends with JKS who liked them too.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Its not the oem, its a superlift made for mopar 4" lift.

Honestly, with that much lift, you'd really be doing yourself a service to install a drag link flip/front track bar relocation bracket like the kind that EVO or AEV makes. With it, you can run your factory track bar. It's what I still run on both my JK's.

DoubleTrouble

Post a video of the movement if you can. Mine was actually a seized/rusty bolt that wasn't fully torquing, but felt like it was. It would loosen up every few days.

Can't get vid to load... But you can clearly see the slop in the the joint in the vid.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
You can get them cheap from crown thru Amazon or Quadratec

Yup, what he said. Crown makes one and it's cheap. Also, it comes with clevite bushings on both ends just like the 07-10's did. The newer 11-16's come with spherical joint at the frame end and it's not as good due to the plastic components inside.

Top Bottom