Alpine X109-WRA

Jaydoc1

So the touchscreen switch integration might actually be what gets me to buy one of these. I have lusted after the previous generation but just couldn't make myself spend that kind of coin for a unit that basically would do everything that my current 430N plus my iPhone does already (granted with way better aesthetics and integration). My 2013 JKUR touchscreen is definitely showing it's age. The poor resolution actually means that I use my iPhone 6 Plus for most things because I always feel like I need glasses now looking at the 430 screen.

The OEM appearance of these units is also what makes me really want one. I've never liked the look of aftermarket systems in cars because they usually look like exactly that: aftermarket.

So in this unit you get the Alpine system with a truly OEM appearance, NAV, amazing expansion capabilities for media and cameras, AND accessory switches now! I'm assuming the touchscreen switches are programable for many different functions and not necessarily the ones displayed in the demo. If not, that would temper my enthusiasm significantly (although the Alpine site makes it sound like the icons and text are customizable).

Like most here, I try to set a yearly Jeep budget and stick to it or I would spend WAY too much. This year my money has been spent getting me up on 37s from 35s. Next year this system is going in unless fate has some different plans! Honestly my Jeep already far exceeds my off-road skills with its capabilities. Future axles are always a possibility/necessity but I have a fund that I add to specifically for that eventuality. If I never need it then it's at least been an easy way to save some money for future projects. I think it's time to make the INTERIOR a little more fun and functional while at the same time making accessory control easier to deal with. Of course there are much cheaper ways to control your accessories but the OEM appearance is worth some extra money for me. Everyone is different, of course. YMMV.

System Expansion and Additional Features for the X109-WRA
A new feature is the ability for the X109-WRA to control other Jeep Wrangler accessories for system expansion. When used with the optional KAC-001 External Accessory Control Module (sold separately), the X109-WRA becomes a hub for touch screen control of up to eight add-on accessories like a light bar, winch, headlights, etc. A graphical icon and custom text label can be assigned to each accessory for quick on-screen identification. Each accessory can be configured as pulsed, latched or momentary outputs. Jeep Wrangler drivers who use multiple camera systems to navigate off road adventures will find the KCX-C250MC Multi-Camera Controller (sold separately) helpful. This optional module can control up to three camera systems from the X109-WRA’s touch screen. The name of each camera system appears on the touch screen, so a simple press of the desired system brings up the available viewing options from that camera.

The X109-WRA uses a capacitive touch screen accompanied by the new GUI (graphical user interface) with 4-way swipe action control (left, right, up, down). The user is always one swipe away from the most commonly accessed functions. A left swipe accesses the navigation commands, a right swipe accesses audio and video commands, a swipe down accesses adjustments to the audio system or rear seat entertainment system (sold separately) and a swipe up accesses Bluetooth and source selection. Within the audio and video page, the user can swipe across to access the entertainment sources connected to the system.

Smartphone connectivity powered by Airbiquity® for iPhone and Android based smartphones will feature a portfolio of useful and popular infotainment content. The companion Alpine Connect smartphone app will provide simple content selection and user personalization. The content features will integrate into Alpine user and navigation interfaces for enhanced user convenience. Alpine Connect content for April 2016 retail availability will include Spotify for streaming music and playlists; iHeartRadio for streaming live radio stations from across the country, custom music stations, 24/7 news, on-demand podcasts, and the best in sports, talk and comedy programming; Yelp for finding local places to eat, drink, and shop; and Glympse for sharing locations with friends and family. Additional content will be added to the Alpine Connect portfolio at later dates.

Last edited:

Twise

There are six programmable circuits that can be set for momentary, pulse etc. the icons and names are customizable. You do need an additional module to make that work. There is also a camera module you can add for three additional sources. I got a friend who can get me the unit at cost. I liked the x009, but felt it could be so much more if it only had... It will be one of my first mods. Depending on what I end up buying, I may have a factory nav for sale.

Evil

You have another 2k burnings hole in your pocket?

By the time you factor in all the add ons you would need to get in order to have what is already in this unit alone says its well worth it. And yeah, Id drop 2k on it.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
A much better value than the 730N...I have the 730 but if I was shopping for a rig now, I'd definitely skip the factory nav and get this thing.

I ordered mine with just the 130 as I want to upgrade. They don't offer the 730 anymore. I can get one after market for $1,500 and a SPOD or Trail Rocker for ~$500. So $2,000 total if I don't find a deal on the 730. This unit is $3,700 to do the same thing. Other than the bigger screen and apple compatibly am I missing something? I'm trying to understand why this is worth the extra money since I will be upgrading. Looks great in the dash.

jeeeep

Hooked
so around $3700 with the accessories to make It function like in the video. if any one of those functions fail you're tied into the head unit replacement/repair.

While it's a great idea and frees up valuable space, I'm not of fan of tying so many functions into one device.

I'd rather keep the toggle switches as a separate unit.

jkjouster

Street Smarts PIMP
this was my concern. i would hate to be caught in south florida daily showers with this head unit.... i have the 430N so im happy with that, ill let that get wet and die before i purchase an aftermarket alpine, unless someone comes up with a waterproof cover, its a no go...i mean some duct tape and a quick manuever and i could protect it but cmon....why cant this be marine rated?

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
so around $3700 with the accessories to make It function like in the video. if any one of those functions fail you're tied into the head unit replacement/repair.

While it's a great idea and frees up valuable space, I'm not of fan of tying so many functions into one device.

I'd rather keep the toggle switches as a separate unit.

I've owned Alpine products since back in the days of owning imports and such. I have never, EVER, had a single failure with any of their products. I get your point 100%, but, the $3700 price tag is retail, it will half that in actual cost, and it's still a VASTLY better value than the OEM 730.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
I agree. Also, i wonder how this 4,000 dollar unit would hold up getting caught topless in the rain

No unit would (unless it's marine grade) including all the OEM units. Nothing inside the dash of a wrangler is water resistant or marine grade.

jeeeep

Hooked
I've owned Alpine products since back in the days of owning imports and such. I have never, EVER, had a single failure with any of their products. I get your point 100%, but, the $3700 price tag is retail, it will half that in actual cost, and it's still a VASTLY better value than the OEM 730.
i agree it's better than oem and retail price vs actual. I've priced it out and the head unit is $3000, the add-ons for the cool accessories to make it work like in the vid push the price to $3700 which is inline with total price of separate components. but with how easy it is to break into a jeep (already lost 2 aftermarket head units to those thieving asshats) I've gone the way of oem or removable face.
I'd like a unit with built in armable taser lol

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Like I said, that's retail. Once it's actually out on the main market, you'll be able to get one online or ebay for half the price, just like they've always been. I don't think I've ever paid close to retail on a high end headunit...they always have insane retail prices but go for MUCH less online.

BigPrince

Like I said, that's retail. Once it's actually out on the main market, you'll be able to get one online or ebay for half the price, just like they've always been. I don't think I've ever paid close to retail on a high end headunit...they always have insane retail prices but go for MUCH less online.

The previous model x009-wra has held its price with only ~15% off. Let me know where I can get it for half off and I'm in.

Top Bottom