Axle flange bolt replacement

sbakewell

When removing the axle the last bolt decided to just spin in the flange. I cut it off with a saw but need replacement. I went to the auto store and got a bolt that is not an exact replacement but close. The splines are a bit larger but the guy said it may work in my favor being that I probably rounded out the hole when it spun. The other idea is just finding a grade 8 bolt and calling it a day. My fear is that the new stud is not going to fit in the hole and I'll be screwed trying to get it out. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1460152392.223347.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1460152407.335284.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1460152417.702985.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1460152432.239299.jpg

mcgyvr

got calipers?
looks pretty close from here..

turn them 45 so we can use your table cloth as a ruler :D

iRonin

I would first confirm that a lug spins smoothly on it to make sure the thread pitch is a match, but you should be good with what you got, snugness isn't a bad thing when it comes to those.

sbakewell

Why did they use such a design?. FYI when I tried to get replacement it was 80 bucks with the flange and studs. Then I found this..

Also has a bold face warning thus:
WARNING: Do not reuse the bolts and nuts that retained the axle shaft to axle tube flange. Used prevailing torque nuts can loosen, causing a dangerous condition.

Guess I gotta get out the red lock tite

13_gecko_rubi

Caught the Bug
That is very common on the jk axles. Hind sight is 20/20 but usually just go in and tack it if it starts to spin. Id tack the rest or they will spin in future. Possibly even when trying to reinstall it. My buddies and i tack those every time we touch them on anyone's axles.

WJCO

Meme King
Well, I have been looking at welders for a few years and may just bite the bullet on this...
Miller 211 Auto-Set
http://store.cyberweld.com/mi211migwewi.html

Actually...this is probably all I need in reality
Hobart 140
http://www.hobartwelders.com/products/wirefeed/handler140/

If you are just going to be using it for small stuff here and there or even welding up to 1/4" thick steel, you could get a LincolnElectric for a lot cheaper. Don't get me wrong, Hobart and Miller are badass welders. But LincolnElectric has a great reputation too for a decent price.

sbakewell

What I heard is if you plan on going down the road of learning welding you want to give yourself some range with a 220 unit. The nice thing about that Miller is it has room to grow.
Not stepping on the USA soapbox ,but Lincoln is made in Mexico I believe. Although when I think of welding their name is at the tip of my tongue. Honestly, it's hard to find anything made here anyway.

sbakewell

Ok. The stud is pressed into the flange. I used two large washers and a wrench plus some 3 in 1 oil. I'm also including the stud info in case anyone needs it. I picked it up at Parts Plus for 3.50. Glad it fit. I had my doubts.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1460334069.132340.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1460334082.113742.jpg

Ginlow

What I heard is if you plan on going down the road of learning welding you want to give yourself some range with a 220 unit. The nice thing about that Miller is it has room to grow.
Not stepping on the USA soapbox ,but Lincoln is made in Mexico I believe. Although when I think of welding their name is at the tip of my tongue. Honestly, it's hard to find anything made here anyway.

Miller is made in China now, Hobart in the same factory. Almost everything is these days, just under more strict quality control.

I have a miller autoset 211 and love it, just make sure you get the auto set and stay away from 120V if your doing anything serious, solid core .030/.035 with argon will do anything you need to weld in a small shop.

TomRalph

Had a brand new Revolution Gear shaft do this durning install. Wes @ Trail Jeeps is taking care of it by tacking them on and sending them back to me for installation. Silly that they don't come pre-tacked in place.

sbakewell

Just an update. I tacked the bolts and that did the job. Glad I have a neighbor with a mig. Such a handy tool I have to get one.

Top Bottom