Trucklite LED headlight went out

Christarp

Hey guys, after about a year of ownership I noticed my trucklite flickering. I went outside and gave it a little knock on it with my finger and then it stopped flickering and it went out. I know they have a 3 year warranty so I'm sure I'll be fine. My main question is, has anyone had this happen or is this just a fluke? Also I have the JK anti-flicker harnesses so I'm going to swap the two and see if that's the issue tomorrow. The other theory I have is that maybe my battery is calling it quits and it's not quite reaching the 12.8v the lights need to operate but I figure that would cause both lights to go out so who knows.

Just curious if anyone else has had them go out after a year or two.

Last edited:

Journeyman

Might not be related but my kc led headlights came with zip ties for the connection to the factory plug. They stated that there have been some issues with the connection failing because a retaining clip was breaking on the jk side of the connection. I did not use them because my clips were not broken. Two weeks in one of mine started flickering then shut off. I took the light out and discovered there was an additional internal clip also on the jk side that was broken and was causing a poor connection. So I plugged it back in and installed a zip tie like KC originally recommended and I've had no issues since. I have no idea when the internal clip cracked. Annoying to have to put a zip around a connection like that because everything seemed high quality. But I also kept in mind that it was the jeep clip that was cracked.
Anyways might not be your problem but definitely worth checking.

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
^^this. It sounds like a loose connection somewhere and I'd say journeyman is on the money. Zip tieing this sort of connection
Is just cheap insurance

SilverBack

The LED doesn't required 12.8Vdc it can be much less or slightly more. The circuitry is quite advanced. The major problem I have found with these lights is the connections themselves. It's not that they are poor quality or anything like that. It is that they are a different metal alloy then the factory connections and therefore corrode ever so slightly due to being dissimilar metals. I use dielectric grease and still have to unplug and reconnect the plugs every 8 to 12 months due to a flickering LED. I have the anti-flicker harness connected. This is the only issue I have ever found white the Trucklites. Hope you figure out the issue soon. But make sure your connections are still good and use the dielectric grease.

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
The LED doesn't required 12.8Vdc it can be much less or slightly more. The circuitry is quite advanced. The major problem I have found with these lights is the connections themselves. It's not that they are poor quality or anything like that. It is that they are a different metal alloy then the factory connections and therefore corrode ever so slightly due to being dissimilar metals. I use dielectric grease and still have to unplug and reconnect the plugs every 8 to 12 months due to a flickering LED. I have the anti-flicker harness connected. This is the only issue I have ever found white the Trucklites. Hope you figure out the issue soon. But make sure your connections are still good and use the dielectric grease.

x2 on the Dielectric grease, I have this issue from time to time and I unplug, clean, then re-grease and good to go. My lights are around 4 years old now.

Ddays

Hooked
I actually had an anti-flicker harness go bad on one of my headlights after a couple months. It was replaced under warranty and I haven't had an issue since.
BUT, if you have ever had one of these go bad the flickering can drive you bat-shit crazy! So much so that I bought a spare harness that I keep in mu console just in case...

allwhitejeeps

x2 on the Dielectric grease, I have this issue from time to time and I unplug, clean, then re-grease and good to go. My lights are around 4 years old now.

This may be a stupid question but I saw the grease Come with the headlights but I did not know how to apply it. Is there a specific way to do it, how much to apply, etc?

Sheaffadelic

Caught the Bug
Mine were doing this for months. I just hard wired the actual lamp to the anti-flicker harness and that fixed the issue. Well along with dielectric grease on the other connection.

SilverBack

This may be a stupid question but I saw the grease Come with the headlights but I did not know how to apply it. Is there a specific way to do it, how much to apply, etc?

Just squish it into the spaces on the connector with either male or female parts. It seals the connection from outside corrosives.

MurderedJK

Hey guys, after about a year of ownership I noticed my trucklite flickering. I went outside and gave it a little knock on it with my finger and then it stopped flickering and it went out. I know they have a 3 year warranty so I'm sure I'll be fine. My main question is, has anyone had this happen or is this just a fluke? Also I have the JK anti-flicker harnesses so I'm going to swap the two and see if that's the issue tomorrow. The other theory I have is that maybe my battery is calling it quits and it's not quite reaching the 12.8v the lights need to operate but I figure that would cause both lights to go out so who knows.

Just curious if anyone else has had them go out after a year or two.

Yes this has happened to me. Both of my headlights were doing that strobe flicker. Called Trucklite and they replaced both lights and anti flicker harnesses quickly. I don't know what caused it but it was terrible finding this problem while on a road trip to Idaho during the night hours... Kept pulling over to punch my lights to stop flickering...

budmanm3

Mine flickered once and I put some dielectric grease on the connectors and haven't had any issues since.

MattAlpha

Caught the Bug
I had this happen to me with my driver side headlight multiple times. I didn't have the anti-flickering harnesses, just the adapter wiring harnesses that came with the trucklites. Each time I re-did the dielectric grease and it seems to fix it, but it would just happen again. I finally determined that one of the wires in that adapter harnesses was damaged internally cause it to intermittently loose connectivity. I eventually bought a set of anti-Flicker harnesses and replaced the pigtail connector wiring harnesses. I haven't had a problem since over the past 7 months and the "strobing" of the lights has been pretty much eliminated.

Top Bottom