Thinking about buying my first house

ReBo

Ok so I'm rather new to this forum, and for those who I haven't already met my name's Zack. Anyway like the title says I'm looking at buying a house and I think I've found the one. Just wondering if any homeowners out there have any pointers. I'm actually buying in the SE Kansas area around Wichita to be exact, but I'm originally from Western NC around Ashevillie and being from the mountains it's a bit of a struggle to make the decision to become a permanent resident. I'm currently stationed at McConnell AFB, KS and I've got a little over 2 years left on my 6 year enlistment but I've decided I would be ok with staying in the area for another 5-10 years after that and I most definitely will not be renting a house for that long. I have rented a ~900sqft apartment for $795/mo and now a ~900sqft 2bd 1ba house with one car garage for $725/mo and I'm ready for more room for the dogs, my toys, and of course the soon to be(hopefully she says yes) fiancé. My only requirements were 2 car garage and 3 bedrooms, we've found a 1821sqft 3br 3ba house with 2 car garage and a large yard compared to most in the area, its in an awesome location and the most appealing part to me is it's in my price range and a rough estimate on the total monthly cost to own is roughly $800. The house has been mostly renovated and the inside looks great, the siding and roof look to be in good shape as well, the only thing that will need replaced is the back porch but that's a weekend project for me and the guys. I've also noticed a couple of things like the downspout for the gutter and the basement sump both dump directly into the backyard and being that I've got experience in landscaping and lawn care I know what that means for growing nice luscious grass and keeping the ground firm, so I'll have to do a little redirecting on those two things which I'm also not worried about. What I am worried about is hidden expenses and the things us first time buyers usually miss when blinded by the fact we're finally big kids. So lets hear it! The good, the bad, and the ugly.

Last edited:

Pyro1415

Ok so I'm rather new to this forum, and for those who I haven't already met my name's Zack. Anyway like the title says I'm looking at buying a house and I think I've found the one. Just wondering if any homeowners out there have any pointers. I'm actually buying in the SE Kansas area around Wichita to be exact, but I'm originally from Western NC around Ashevillie and being from the mountains it's a bit of a struggle to make the decision to become a permanent resident. I'm currently stationed at McConnell AFB, KS and I've got a little over 2 years left on my 6 year enlistment but I've decided I would be ok with staying in the area for another 5-10 years after that and I most definitely will not be renting a house for that long. I have rented a ~900sqft apartment for $795/mo and now a ~900sqft 2bd 1ba house with one car garage for $725/mo and I'm ready for more room for the dogs, my toys, and of course the soon to be(hopefully she says yes) fiancé. My only requirements were 2 car garage and 3 bedrooms, we've found a 1821sqft 3br 3ba house with 2 car garage and a large yard compared to most in the area, its in an awesome location and the most appealing part to me is it's in my price range and a rough estimate on the total monthly cost to own is roughly $800. The house has been mostly renovated and the inside looks great, the siding and roof look to be in good shape as well, the only thing that will need replaced is the back porch but that's a weekend project for me and the guys. I've also noticed a couple of things like the downspout for the gutter and the basement sump both dump directly into the backyard and being that I've got experience in landscaping and lawn care I know what that means for growing nice luscious grass and keeping the ground firm, so I'll have to do a little redirecting on those two things which I'm also not worried about. What I am worried about is hidden expenses and the things us first time buyers usually miss when blinded by the fact we're finally big kids. So lets hear it! The good, the bad, and the ugly.

Get a va loan. I believe they pay for a crapload of inspections. Check out the house at night a few times and after a major rain if you can. See if it's in the path of runways if jet engines bother you. Septic have it checked, sewer less worries.

catahoula

Caught the Bug
I am in process of purchasing my 5th home. I have always gotten inspected and EVERY inspector has disappointed me. They blow in my opinion. You have no recourse with them. I would get a professional as in technician by trade to check out HVAC, roofing, electrical, etc. The cost would be same with an inspector who would come out LOOK at HVAC and note seems to be working BUT would suggest a licensed tech to look at. Depending on loan they would require inspectors as well. We are very handy and can do several things ourselves and safe in the process.

ReBo

Get a va loan. I believe they pay for a crapload of inspections. Check out the house at night a few times and after a major rain if you can. See if it's in the path of runways if jet engines bother you. Septic have it checked, sewer less worries.

I'm definitely getting a VA loan, and we plan to have the house inspected for sure. And it's far from base and the airport, let's say jet engines don't necessarily bother me as far as sleeping. I'm a crew chief on the KC-135 and I've spent my fair share of time propped up on a tire napping with engines running all around including the B-1(which I would avoid at all costs to live near).

I am in process of purchasing my 5th home. I have always gotten inspected and EVERY inspector has disappointed me. They blow in my opinion. You have no recourse with them. I would get a professional as in technician by trade to check out HVAC, roofing, electrical, etc. The cost would be same with an inspector who would come out LOOK at HVAC and note seems to be working BUT would suggest a licensed tech to look at. Depending on loan they would require inspectors as well. We are very handy and can do several things ourselves and safe in the process.

This is good info, I never would have thought to seek out individual experts to do inspections. I'm pretty handy around the house and can perform most of my own work, just don't want to be replacing a roof anytime soon, or an HVAC system for that matter! Thanks for the pointers

catahoula

Caught the Bug
Your first water leak is a freak out moment then after than it's like...ok.:cheesy: Paying rent for something you will never own or get anything out of sucks. I have not rented since 1998. It blows! Rent prices are high here and you can get a very nice house for that monthly payment. It might not hurt if you can swing a 15 instead of a 30. Save more going to principal. Also, if you have enough to put 20 down that will eliminate PMI too. Go to http://www.bankrate.com/ and read some of the articles.

ReBo

Your first water leak is a freak out moment then after than it's like...ok.:cheesy: Paying rent for something you will never own or get anything out of sucks. I have not rented since 1998. It blows! Rent prices are high here and you can get a very nice house for that monthly payment. It might not hurt if you can swing a 15 instead of a 30. Save more going to principal. Also, if you have enough to put 20 down that will eliminate PMI too. Go to http://www.bankrate.com/ and read some of the articles.

Oh I'm sure every little thing that happens will be heartbreaking :cheesy: but I think I want to do a 30 year just to keep the monthly payment lower in the beginning so I'm not in a spot where I struggle to make the larger payment, and if I get in the position that I can afford more I'll just pay more than required.

catahoula

Caught the Bug
I'm definitely getting a VA loan, and we plan to have the house inspected for sure. And it's far from base and the airport, let's say jet engines don't necessarily bother me as far as sleeping. I'm a crew chief on the KC-135 and I've spent my fair share of time propped up on a tire napping with engines running all around including the B-1(which I would avoid at all costs to live near).

This is good info, I never would have thought to seek out individual experts to do inspections. I'm pretty handy around the house and can perform most of my own work, just don't want to be replacing a roof anytime soon, or an HVAC system for that matter! Thanks for the pointers

My last house...a log home. House was not that old and built in 2006 but, not lived in and a second home for previous owners. Loved it got an inspection. On moving day had money set aside for fun things like furniture and decor. Had HVAC come out to do some maintenance. Turned out needed new HVAC unit. Now mind you I did have an "EXPERT" come out with inspector. When I called him up he said if we were to have paid a fee he would have went through in. I told him it was never offered and if I would have known I would have paid it! First time using dishwasher...it leaked. Had to replace. Called the inspector up to tell him how much he sucked and that I was afraid to try the clothes washer. He asked why? I said because I know that would fucking leak too! Well, sure as shit first time that leaked too! The inspectors are suppose to run a full cycle on appliances to check for leaks. However, was told it worked fine when they inspected it. I still call BULLSHIT! If you do use one of these inspectors be there as well and ask questions. I was and did even though I had those issues. It is hard to tel a water leak due to rain...unless raining. I would call a roofing companhy to go out if your are worried. I have found more shit than some have missed.

Happy hunting I hope this helps you a bit!

ReBo

Another thing that's nice is I have my own washer/dryer so I know they work, and the appliances in the house are "brand new" but that doesn't mean anything to me. I'm expecting to find things broken or in need of attention and that's ok. I just don't want to spend ALL of my money fixing something that I was told was move in ready

Here's a different perspective and a couple things to think about. I rent. Have never owned a house. I consider myself damn lucky not to have. I've been a contract maintainer on military helicopters for most of my career. That meant I needed to move to where the money was. Not being saddled to a house was a god send in that regard. We finally thought we were ready to buy a house 2 years ago. I landed a steady job and things looked like they were finally lining up for us. Well we never found "the one" and I'm damn glad we didn't. The layoffs started at work. And what felt like job stability suddenly turned into a very tense time waiting for the axe to fall. It didn't fall on my neck thankfully but if it did, how would that have worked out with us in a new house? So how does this translate to you? When you get out, do you have a job waiting? Will you be able to make the mortgage payment if you don't? Will she say yes and if so does she have a job that can make the bills while you look for a job? Right now it's all rainbows and unicorns because you have a guaranteed income. Nothing is guaranteed in life post military.

Just a point of view to think about. I'm in no way trying to shit on your happiness. I hope it all works out and you get exactly what you want with as little pain as possible. I'm just throwing out a different perspective and I guess I'm saying get prepared now for life in a couple years post military.

All that being said, I agree with the inspectors being shit. My best friend is a contractor and went house hunting with us and was able to point out many flaws and potential risks as well as such things as poorly covered up previous water damage. All things that I didn't quite catch being blinded by the potential of owning my own home. Be careful with this house being partially renovated. Make sure the renovations are up to code. If not, you'll have to spend money to unfuck anything that's not. Another thing a good inspector should catch I would hope.

Good luck! Hope it works out for you.

catahoula

Caught the Bug
Especially...FLIPPERS! I have seen some shot work
Most are in it strictly for the money. I have seen some just use drywall in shower stalls instead of the correct backerboard. One way to check for that is to pull forward the escrusion( I did not spell that right) and see and feel for the backer behind the shower head or faucets.

ReBo

Here's a different perspective and a couple things to think about. I rent. Have never owned a house. I consider myself damn lucky not to have. I've been a contract maintainer on military helicopters for most of my career. That meant I needed to move to where the money was. Not being saddled to a house was a god send in that regard. We finally thought we were ready to buy a house 2 years ago. I landed a steady job and things looked like they were finally lining up for us. Well we never found "the one" and I'm damn glad we didn't. The layoffs started at work. And what felt like job stability suddenly turned into a very tense time waiting for the axe to fall. It didn't fall on my neck thankfully but if it did, how would that have worked out with us in a new house? So how does this translate to you? When you get out, do you have a job waiting? Will you be able to make the mortgage payment if you don't? Will she say yes and if so does she have a job that can make the bills while you look for a job? Right now it's all rainbows and unicorns because you have a guaranteed income. Nothing is guaranteed in life post military.

Just a point of view to think about. I'm in no way trying to shit on your happiness. I hope it all works out and you get exactly what you want with as little pain as possible. I'm just throwing out a different perspective and I guess I'm saying get prepared now for life in a couple years post military.

All that being said, I agree with the inspectors being shit. My best friend is a contractor and went house hunting with us and was able to point out many flaws and potential risks as well as such things as poorly covered up previous water damage. All things that I didn't quite catch being blinded by the potential of owning my own home. Be careful with this house being partially renovated. Make sure the renovations are up to code. If not, you'll have to spend money to unfuck anything that's not. Another thing a good inspector should catch I would hope.

Good luck! Hope it works out for you.

Oh trust me I hear this all the time, thankfully she actually does have a good job and would be able to take the reigns if needed. However, like I said I've got a little over 2 years left which gives me plenty of time to have something steady lined up, Wichita is called "The air capital of the world" and most companies in the area hire veterans over anyone else especially ones with a background in aircraft maintenance, I've also started networking and I have a ton of contacts and references in a lot of those companies. And I'm not one of the many who joined the military straight out of high school and never had to live in the real world, I've been there done that. I've had the axe swing and lost my job. In the absolute worst case scenario that I didn't have something lined up in the year immediately following my separation from active duty I have considered those options as well and I'm willing to extend for a year if need be and I'm also tossing around the idea of a palace front to the national guard or reserves. I'm fairly confident in my ability to produce an income that can support my current lifestyle. Thank you for the input. But to keep this on track I'd like to hear input from those who have gone through/are going through the process :beer:

Excellent! Glad to hear it and I hope it all works out for you. Didn't mean to derail anything. Sorry bout that.

BABOOZLE

Caught the Bug
I just sold my first house and looking to buy my second. I'm also in the military. Some tips that I used to buy my house was to look at the cars in the neighborhood. You can get a good idea of who lives there before moving in. Also is there any room for improvement that could potentially increase the value of the house when you do sell. Shop around for lenders. I thought Navy Federal Credit Union would give me a good deal but they didn't make me feel good about the process at all. I ended up going to Wells Fargo Mortgage branch and was enlightened about many different aspects. Also shop around for insurance. Sometimes a local insurance company can offer the same coverage that a name brand one can but for cheaper. But sometimes home ownership can make you feel like you were renting [emoji23]. Good luck.

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
We just bought a house in October of last year. It was our first actual house. My boss has purchased several houses and said the inspector is a waste of money. It wasn't required for our loan so we didn't have an inspector come out. What we did do was have some friends come over, gave them all a notebook, told them to inspect it and hit it hard. As mentioned all the inspector does is make sure it works. So as long as it works on that day then the inspector is in the clear.

Be prepared for little stuff also. We knew we were gonna paint the inside of the house. That was $500. We had been living in trailer houses close to my parents and the wife's parents so anytime we needed something we usually borrowed it, like shovels brooms etc. We had to start buying those things. Something you may run into since you were renting. I can repair a lot of things also but didn't have much as far as tools for house stuff. So there's a cost if your doing it yourself. Just seems like the little stuff adds up as you go. A lot of stuff you really don't think about. But it's worth it in the end. Rent around here was expensive being in a college town. Our house payment is cheaper than most places for rent and it's ours. That's really nice.

This was just my two cents also. Good luck!

Speeddmn

I am on house number 2 of ownership. I have also looked at a million houses, least it seems that way.

Couple things to always look at is resale. Questions to ask yourself. Why is this house for sale? Simple answer, previous owner needs to relocate to due a job. Or is it, this house if sucking me dry with repairs. Where is the hot water heater located? outside in the elements? that is a dumb location, or is it in a closet in the bathroom? Again another not ideal location. Does it have a basement? what is the water table like in the area, are you in a flood zone? What direction does the garage face? If north then have fun cleaning the driveway after ice/snow storm. East facing homes are less then stellar for evening in the back yard, especially in the summer time, gets hot. Where are the bedrooms located, if they get evening sun, then the rooms will always be hot. If the master bedroom windows face east then you will rise early just due to the sun rise. Could go on and on for the small stuff. Does the roof pitch toward the front/back or side/side? Do you have gutters above the garage if needed or are you cool with driving under a possible snow/ice mix that can fall onto you/kid/car and cause damage?

Is this house priced at the upper end of the comps? If so and you do some renovations, you might price it out of the neighborhood if you sell someday. Don't ever worry about paint, that's an easy fix. Typically you would want to replace the locks on the doors, garage code etc. All new door hardware can get costly, quick. If you have builder grade faux gold door knobs, and want to change them to a bronze, don't forget the hinges... that can be almost 300-1k per room, depending on how high end you go.

Good luck!

Ctimrun

Owning a house is a love/hate relationship. Love it knowing I am paying into an "investment" versus throwing money away to a landlord. Hate it when there is a leak or major repair. It's a good idea to have a chunk set aside for a major repair that can't wait like a roof. If your living paycheck to paycheck to make your rent and car payments then I wouldn't recommend buying a house. Definitely don't get into an interest only or shady type loan with variable rates etc etc, you would be better off continuing to rent.

jeeeep

Hooked
lots of good advice on here I would also like to add check to see if there is a homeowners association if there is find out what fees you may have to pay and get a copy of the bylaws some of them are so restrictive you can't shit without them approving it. I've seen some battles between homeowners association where they've actually foreclosed on a house over nonsense

Last edited:

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
lots of good advice on here I would also like to add check to see if there is a homeowners association if there is find out what these may have to pay and get a copy of the bylaws some of them are so restrictive you can't shit without them approving of it. I've seen some battles go onward a homeowners association has actually foreclosed on a house over nonsense

Yep. That was one requirement for us, no HOA. Lol. It's been hard going from living in the country to the city. But we got a good house in a good area so that's helped.

Top Bottom