Side marker relocate after flat fender install

rich67

Caught the Bug
I know there was a write up for this before, but that was for chopping the stock fenders. I went with Smitty XRC metal flats, and in order to get the OEM liners to work, I needed to use the hole where the original write-up specified you drill out and put the LED in. This leaves me with ZERO locations to reposition said marker, unless I want to zip tie the ugly looking square and round monstrosity somewhere in the fender well. :icon_crazy:
So I have been soliciting ideas (since Jeepers are such an ingenious bunch) and wonder where to go from here.
Remove the markers all together? Find a strip LED and install it where the original metal fender bracket protrudes from the body?
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1460119071.939778.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1459908144.045018.jpg
This was the most feasible thing I could see doing in order to keep these things. Right now I disconnected them altogether. The gap between the fender and that bracket is roughly an inch to an inch and a quarter tall, which means I need a thin LED strip to make that work...
Anyone have any suggestions?

Speeddmn

Take them off and leave them off. They are a light, not a blinker, not a hazard light. All they do is light up, from my under standing they are not required by law. I disconnected mine when I cut my fenders, they sit in a drawer in my tool box taking up space.

rich67

Caught the Bug
Take them off and leave them off. They are a light, not a blinker, not a hazard light. All they do is light up, from my under standing they are not required by law. I disconnected mine when I cut my fenders, they sit in a drawer in my tool box taking up space.
That's what I think I am leaning toward. I don't believe they are required by law either...

Ddays

Hooked
Why not drill out the front mounting hole and use one of the Eagle Eye yellow lights as both the side marker light and to secure the flare to the body at that point?
They're aluminum so you can tighten it up pretty easily. These things are only like $8 per pair on Amazon...here's a pic of mine before tightening it up.

edit: from the side they do not appear yellow but they definitely are.

side marker.jpg

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
Why not drill out the front mounting hole and use one of the Eagle Eye yellow lights as both the side marker light and to secure the flare to the body at that point?
They're aluminum so you can tighten it up pretty easily. These things are only like $8 per pair on Amazon...here's a pic of mine before tightening it up.

edit: from the side they do not appear yellow but they definitely are.

View attachment 197838

This is what I would do, I used an inner hole tho since I dont run fender liners.

BABOOZLE

Caught the Bug
I put mine back in the fender liner. It's tucked back in there but it's a bright LED and can be easily seen at night. $10 at autozone I think. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1460386515.862856.jpg

Napalm

I just ran without them after chopping the fenders on my last JKU. I never had any issues or unwanted attention from the law.

Kyle7R

I just ran without them after chopping the fenders on my last JKU. I never had any issues or unwanted attention from the law.

I do not run them either after switching to flat fenders. Just unplugged them and tapped up the harness and zip tied it up out of the way.

rich67

Caught the Bug
I put mine back in the fender liner. It's tucked back in there but it's a bright LED and can be easily seen at night. $10 at autozone I think. View attachment 197903

OK, that's the ticket. Heading out to Autozone tonight to check that out. Wasn't sure if that's a good place to stick it, but it look perfect there. Thanks.:rock:

BABOOZLE

Caught the Bug
OK, that's the ticket. Heading out to Autozone tonight to check that out. Wasn't sure if that's a good place to stick it, but it look perfect there. Thanks.:rock:

You will need to make a 3/4" hole for the grommet. They should have a 3/4" step bit in the tool aisle that will work perfectly.

sjd78

Did you guys just wire up the led's directly to the factory wiring? Was there any issues being its an led? I have a set of the poison spyder 3 wire 3/4" led's that I need to wire up is why I'm asking. Thanks!

Rottenbelly

I used the 3/4 one from autozone/ O'Reilly also. Drilled a hole for it here.
Notice the wires, black to white /white to black. Thats the way they work.

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
Over here they are legally required as a front position light so that at night from a distance you can tell the width of the vehicle. Not sure if it's the same over there

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
I'm also in the group that abandoned them. Not sure of the legality but my tires also stick way out, running beadlocks, no mud flaps, etc so I'm really not worried about being perfectly legal.

@chuck_slayton

Did you guys just wire up the led's directly to the factory wiring? Was there any issues being its an led? I have a set of the poison spyder 3 wire 3/4" led's that I need to wire up is why I'm asking. Thanks!

I wired mine right into the factory wiring and haven't had any issues!

Top Bottom