Rockhard or evo skids?

rogerk93

I'm looking to buy a skid system as I'm currently just naked under my jeep other than the stock skids Rockhard has a different approach covering the oil pan and transmission but it is almost the same price as the complete protek evo system. Just looking for some opinions on what to go with.

I'm looking to buy a skid system as I'm currently just naked under my jeep other than the stock skids Rockhard has a different approach covering the oil pan and transmission but it is almost the same price as the complete protek evo system. Just looking for some opinions on what to go with.
You'll find reviews of both systems on this forum - including a few folks running a mix of both, and a few folks that don't run any skids. We offer our system in both 3/16" steel or 1/4" thick aluminum depending on your off road style. Take a look at our installation video to learn how our system comes together to offer you full undercarriage protection.

Last edited:

Rottenbelly

I did the Evo skid system on my 15 with the manual . It was easy to install but after installing I notice it has lots of spots to get hung up on compared to a smooth system like the rockhard.
The Evo has exposed bolt heads that are gonna get scraped up and make it hard to remove if needed. I plan on changing them out to button head Allen bolts.

USMMA11NC

Caught the Bug
I did the Evo skid system on my 15 with the manual . It was easy to install but after installing I notice it has lots of spots to get hung up on compared to a smooth system like the rockhard.
The Evo has exposed bolt heads that are gonna get scraped up and make it hard to remove if needed. I plan on changing them out to button head Allen bolts.

You can get the "rock dome" tapered shields by themselves from Rockhard 4x4's website. Just another option for you. :thumb:

Edit because my phone's autocorrect is dumb.

zimm

Caught the Bug
Rockhard here. I took it out and hit the skid plates a bunch, but after the day was over I went under and that skid was clean- the transfer case and fuel tank skids took all the hits. Maybe playing in the rocks will be different. Heavy duty piece of steel and I feel well protected with it.

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
I've got the EVO engine and transmission skid only. I only did it for a bit of insurance but I had a look on the weekend and they've taken a few good hits.

I went this route as it is easier to clean all the mud out then a lot of the other systems that have more coverage.

303DAILY

I'm a big fan of eddies mentality on this one, the trans skid is pretty stout and the gas tank as well.
There are great places to spend your money but just get the rock hard oil pan skid and keep the rest stock.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1460428020.355415.jpg

Benito

Caught the Bug
I have the Evo skids. I was having some work done at a shop a few weeks back, getting gears installed, and the shop owner asked me if I go rock crawling to which I replied yes, and proceeded to show him my bent evo crossmember skid, he then looked at me and said "you should really look into changing out the evo for the Rockhard system" when I asked why he said, and I'm not sure if it's in theory or if he had actually seen this, that the evo oil pan skid can cause more damage to the engine than protect it. He said that because the skid gets bolted into the upper oil pan if you take a hard enough hit it can damage the screw holes and possibly even crack the upper oil pan. Theoretically it sounds possible, however I have never come close to hitting the oil pan skid, not saying it's not possible, but I think unlikely seeing that you have the front axle by their and you engine sits between the front tires. I guess what I want to know is has anyone ever damaged or heard of this issue when using a skid plate like Evo's?

Ozon8r

I have the Evo skids. I was having some work done at a shop a few weeks back, getting gears installed, and the shop owner asked me if I go rock crawling to which I replied yes, and proceeded to show him my bent evo crossmember skid, he then looked at me and said "you should really look into changing out the evo for the Rockhard system" when I asked why he said, and I'm not sure if it's in theory or if he had actually seen this, that the evo oil pan skid can cause more damage to the engine than protect it. He said that because the skid gets bolted into the upper oil pan if you take a hard enough hit it can damage the screw holes and possibly even crack the upper oil pan. Theoretically it sounds possible, however I have never come close to hitting the oil pan skid, not saying it's not possible, but I think unlikely seeing that you have the front axle by their and you engine sits between the front tires. I guess what I want to know is has anyone ever damaged or heard of this issue when using a skid plate like Evo's?

I installed the EVO three piece skid system and was surprised how the transmission (middle) skid tied into the oil pan skid. After the install, the weight of the tranny skid pulling down on the oil skid caused a slight seeping of oil around the oil pan seal. I removed the tranny skid leaving the oil skid and the cross skid and the oil seep stopped. While the position of the tranny skid is less apt to hit a high point, I could see how upward pressure would really torque the oil skid in a bad way as you say.

oyoquem

I have the full rock hard steel skid system and super happy with it. I was able to install it when my JK was stock height without lifting it. They are really heavy though so if weight is a factor then consider the aluminum ones.

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
I installed the EVO three piece skid system and was surprised how the transmission (middle) skid tied into the oil pan skid. After the install, the weight of the tranny skid pulling down on the oil skid caused a slight seeping of oil around the oil pan seal. I removed the tranny skid leaving the oil skid and the cross skid and the oil seep stopped. While the position of the tranny skid is less apt to hit a high point, I could see how upward pressure would really torque the oil skid in a bad way as you say.

Did you torque the oil pan bolts correctly with a torque wrench when you installed it?

zimm

Caught the Bug
The rockhard system does hold mud as mentioned earlier. After off-roading last weekend, I have a driveline vibration when accelerating. I'm pretty sure it's the caked up mud that has cemented my exhaust pipe to the skid plate. I'm going to have to suit up and get under there with some goggles and tools to clean that crap out.

dunstan74

Ive run the Evo oil pan skid along with the trans and exhaust crossover skid for about two and a half years now and 55000kms and have hit the oil pan a few times, nothing earth shattering but hard enough that im glad it was there and have no issues since the fact.

That being said if your choosing the right lines and wheeling smart then i don't see your oil pan skid taking a flogging like say a gas tank skid would,

DWiggles

Caught the Bug

how is this possible? did you remove and reinstall your oil pan with RTV? from the factory is has tri-bond on it. It wouldnt "leak" then stop. Its a solid, not rubbery... :idontknow:

Ozon8r

how is this possible? did you remove and reinstall your oil pan with RTV? from the factory is has tri-bond on it. It wouldnt "leak" then stop. Its a solid, not rubbery... :idontknow:

It stopped once removed. Maybe a case of correlation versus causation, but the problem no longer exists and oil pan hasn't leaked for the last 30k+ miles.

I do like the EVO cross skid but would reconsider other options, such as Rock Hard or TNT if doing it again.

Ozon8r

Did you torque the oil pan bolts correctly with a torque wrench when you installed it?

I did in inch pounds. I initially dialed in foot pounds on the torque and twisted off a head like a dumbass. Backed out pretty easy though. Switched to an inch pound torque and no problems other than the leak at the low end of the pan with the tyranny skid attached.

resqman911

I have the RockHard , I didn't like that the evo oil pan skid bolted to the engine itself, so the force of a hard hit would transfer to the engine instead of the frame

Top Bottom